Sick of Reptile Equipment?

JFodera

It might just be my experience, but all of the big brands who make reptile accessories seem to have horrible products. They are all poorly made and extremely overpriced. I have purchased multiple items that either do not work or break right out of the box. I've had a light bulb explode, a ceramic heater just crumble to pieces, thermometers that don't work right out of the box, lamps that just die, and so many other equipment failures. And there are so many posts about similar equipment disappointments. I know reptile owners are not the largest consumer category, but, that doesn't meant quality is impossible. And on top of all this, attempting to contact these companies to hold them accountable to their "warranties" is next to impossible! I'm not saying there is anything we can really do about. We often don't have a choice but to buy their overpriced junk. But I thought some other members might enjoy venting some of their frustration with me.

I feel ya. I haven't bought name brand stuff in awhile, if I can make it or get it at home depot, I'd much rather do that. Of course there are thing you need to buy name brand, but if can avoid it I do.

Yes, I have started looking in every possible place to find alternatives. But when comes to UVB/UVA ratings or flexible, non-toxic vines and furnishings it becomes very difficult.

To save money on vines. You can use grape vines. I buy the wreaths at craft stores for 10.00 or so. I wash em and soak em first before using. Or you can use ropes or even coated electrical wire, you can find it in colors like green or brown or black. The flexible store bought vines are exp. I know I just bought some for some new guys and I only buy 1-2 per cage and use the cheaper stuff also to add more variety. If i used only store bought stuff I could easily spend 50-60 bux per cage on just vines. :eek:

I buy two things that have a reptile on the package. Screened enclosures because Ive TRIED to make them:eek: and 5.0 UVB lights. Everything else comes from other stores or nature.

I get upset when looking at reptile products at the pet store because of they WAY they are packaged.

-They have a Veiled chameleon photo on the cover of bark substrate http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-32035

-A veild and I have seen pantherschameleon photo on a red night heat bulb ( http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=173 )

and the picture on the box of a baby veild chameleon sitting on a waterfall for the waterfall (http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...liate&utm_term=508109&utm_campaign=performics)

those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

All products you DO NOT need when owning a chameleon and yet there they are right on the packaging.

Last edited:
It might just be my experience, but all of the big brands who make reptile accessories seem to have horrible products. They are all poorly made and extremely overpriced. I have purchased multiple items that either do not work or break right out of the box. I've had a light bulb explode, a ceramic heater just crumble to pieces, thermometers that don't work right out of the box, lamps that just die, and so many other equipment failures. And there are so many posts about similar equipment disappointments. I know reptile owners are not the largest consumer category, but, that doesn't meant quality is impossible. And on top of all this, attempting to contact these companies to hold them accountable to their "warranties" is next to impossible! I'm not saying there is anything we can really do about. We often don't have a choice but to buy their overpriced junk. But I thought some other members might enjoy venting some of their frustration with me.

Over time I've found ways to avoid buying most reptile stuff by finding substitutes in the "real world". Such as:

Exterior halogen light bulbs for basking, no heat emitters or fancy coated bulbs.
Make my own cages.
Solid aquarium double fixture hoods/ballasts which seem to last a long time.
Industrial quality thermometers and hygrometers.
Scrubbed natural tree branches for perches and climbing paths. No biovines.
The "fanciest" thing I've gotten was a RainMaker Jr. misting system. I've used it for over 10 years with little to no trouble.
Ultrasonic room humidifier, modified with PVC pipe, none of the herp "foggers".

When I first started purchasing everything, I didn't know any better. But after some experience, I've learned the do's and dont's and how to shop around. It just becomes frustrating when you realize everything you have previously bought from reptile brands is a POC.

Yea… It's all S**T!! lol All you really need to buy from "pet" manufacturers are UV bulbs and supplements. Maybe a good mist system like a Mistking, it's the only "pet" related thing I've bought that isn't junk. That and couple nice custom cages I've picked up. Most of it is over priced junk. Cheers!

You aren't wrong, if I was not a "practical" person I would be seriously unhappy - these things wind me up more than enough already... unfortunately it seems like this is the way customer service is going everywhere these days... that's if the shop actually has any stock when you turn up in the first place.

Humidity Control from Lucky Reptile seems to be completely unfit for purpose as it takes 20 minutes longer to register humidty changes than my other hygrometers - result 5 litres of water on my lounge floor (it doesn't shut off the rain system when it's meant to).

Lucky Reptile Super Rain - Arrived with one of the tube nuts missing - made do as didn't need all the nozels. After 2 weeks or running no problems last night I find it has pissed all over the lounge floor again - this time because some idiot in the factory didn't do up the nuts properly inside the pump housing!

HID TEMP HUMidity Probe - cheapo kit brought from ebay to monitor and log temps and humidty - software won't run on a pc (managed to find some that a boffin had written for freeware)

Habistat venting fan - possibly the noisiest fan on this planet

Exoterra Thermometers - 5 now have failed within a year, 2 more the buttons don't work on (might have something to do with my Beardie pooing on them)

Silkworms store - ordered a starter colony and nearly a week later they arrive all dead!

Zoo Med Reptibreeze Cage - Again needs modification before it is fit for purpose - this thing is about as strong and stable as a blamonge tower every time the door is opened the lower section hinge pops out - fixed myself.

Habbamist mister thing - firstly this is not a mister it's just a very noisy sprayer and thoroughly rubbish. Secondly it is sold in the UK without a plug or adaptor to fit UK sockets..

That's all I can remember for now... I'm sure I've missed loads out!

Gee, Imagine if there was no "Reptile Products' at all in stores, and you had to do everything yourself! Too many folk still cant 'Get a clue' with all thats avail to make life easier now, Imagine how many reptiles would die if theses products did'nt yet exist.
Catching wild bugs everyday and breeding your own, no matter how 'Yucky' or 'Gross', and Killing your own snake food, makes you Appreciate the value of an animal, Unlike today where you toss a few $ around in a pet store, and can walk out all ready to go.
Building your own enclosure was half the fun and a source of pride aswell.
You can keep almost any reptile in the world, so easy.
Stop Whining and suck it up! :)

wambulance.jpg

Everything we have for our rep's breaks!! And this is in the UK. I ended up having a tank especially made for my chameleon. Cost quite a lot but it was the best thing I ever did!

I agree that reptile products are WAY overpriced for what they are. Why pay $23.99 for a F$#?!n flouresent light fixture at Petsmart, when you can get the equivalent at Wal-Mart for $6.00? Your basicly paying for that stupid little 'Iguana emblem' printed on the box it comes in- screw that. I NEVER buy anything from Petsmart or any of the other corporate monsters (with the exception of the corporate monster 'Wal-Mart) if I can avoid it. UV lights are the only thing I can't do myself, but if I could I would. The quality of most of these products are very poor. Do-It-Yourself baby.

I always buy my lights from lowes or home depot. The are like $4.00 in comparison to the other reptile brands that are like$20.00 and I just use regular bulbs for light

I agree I have quite a few things around here that are useless like the huge a** thick flexible vines that suck, and I can’t get to stay properly in any of my cages!!! My husband yesterday brought me back a freaking $9.00 Day bulb that has a ultra violet hue to it (thats what the idiot at the pet store told him to buy) instead of what I am already using! I could go on and on, but I am going to stop at that!:mad:

You guys all have it tough. My life is easy, no stores near me, no vet, no other herp owners. But my chams & I seem to get along just great with out all of that. But them necessity is it mother of invention and I am a mother so I create what I want or need. Well or order in on the internet.:D

I think the saddest aspect to the herp care junk is that the companies know or expect the average pet owner's animal to die due to ignorance or neglect..before their products fail.

Gee, Imagine if there was no "Reptile Products' at all in stores, and you had to do everything yourself! Too many folk still cant 'Get a clue' with all thats avail to make life easier now, Imagine how many reptiles would die if theses products did'nt yet exist.
Catching wild bugs everyday and breeding your own, no matter how 'Yucky' or 'Gross', and Killing your own snake food, makes you Appreciate the value of an animal, Unlike today where you toss a few $ around in a pet store, and can walk out all ready to go.
Building your own enclosure was half the fun and a source of pride aswell.
You can keep almost any reptile in the world, so easy.
Stop Whining and suck it up! :)

wambulance.jpg

I do not think that it is brands like Zoo Med, Zilla, or Exo Terra that make the modern herpetoculturists/hobbyists successful. It is the collective knowledge of past mistakes, the accumulation of published works, and mostly, places like this website. It is true that there is equipment from these brands that can be invaluable to what we do with our animals, but that doesn't mean it is quality merchandise. We purchase it because it is our only choice. It is most definitely an understatement to "toss around a few dollars," and after you have done plenty of tossing, you are not at all "ready to go." Quite the contrary: you are ready to re-purchase everything at a different store that isn't a pet shop, for better prices, and receive a better product. No one here is depreciating the fact that we have resources, however, we do have a right as high paying costumers, to demand quality products. It's great that there are brands catering to our reptile care niche, now we just need those companies to make good stuff. Then we'll stop whining :)

Back
Top Bottom