Sick 1 year old Oustaleti

Wibus

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Oustaleti about 1year old. i have had since a small baby
Handling - He/She has trouble climbing or gripping so quite a bit but Tomo never gets angry at me or anything. Very docile even as a baby.
Feeding - Mostly crickets with D3 and w/o D3. Sometimes superworms maybe every couple weeks
Supplements - Fluckers and some other blue/white container bottle. Multivitamin every 2 weeks not sure of brand.
Watering - Drip all day long. I have seen Tomo drink but not lately.
Fecal Description - Never deen tested but Tomo is ver constipated only poops once every 2 weeks or so and they are huge. urea attached.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16x16x18 screen cage. Very small i know but i gto a lead on a very large cage soon. Just need the money for it.
Lighting - UVB/basking 12hours on 12 hours off.
Temperature - 90 degree basking temp rest room temperature.
Humidity - I mist once a day
Plants - 1 live schiflera
Location - California.

Tomo has lost alost all energy. Sits at bottom of cage. Still eats but is extremely constipated. Unsure of sex but im starting to think maybe female? Could this be an eggbound issue? Tomo can still climb when wanted and crawls the cage sides to go to sleep but while awake usually at bottom of cage. Strength seems normal when climbing or handled The poor cham is just acting extremely funny. I would take to the vet if money wasnt an issue so for now im on my own.

I think the next step is to set up an egg laying bin. What do I need exactly to set this up properly?

???

No experience with Oust., but behavior wise: your little girl has some unfertilized eggs to dsposit. Look online for a cheap g scale. Keep track of her weight every month. That way you will always know for sure. I weigh my jackson's all the time. They don't always show signs of being fat, & colors can throw you off. Very possible, i am wrong though. Keep watching for any other signs of sickness or eggs.

I'm so sorry you're going through hard times, but your chameleon is in trouble, and needs help. The cage is way too small for proper development and exercise, possibly contributing to the constipation problem.

This isn't specific enough regarding calcium and calcium with D3, "Feeding - Mostly crickets with D3 and w/o D3.". What is your calcium schedule?

As you're already aware, this Cham needs to see a vet. At the very least, please give him more space as soon as potential falls aren't an issue. Even if you stick him in the bathtub with a UVB light and a plant, it's better than current conditions. Wishing you the best.

Looking at your old posts, it looks like Tomo's been in the same small cage for as long as he / she has been with you. It's really time to get another cage for him / her. You can make an appropriate sized (at LEAST 2x2x4 - but larger than that would be best) wooden cage for around $100 - $120. If you pm me I'll explain how I made mine, it was really easy.
I don't know exactly what's wrong with him / her, but it would really help everyone if you posted some recent pictures of your chameleon, and it's setup.

I made that post at school so i tried to rush thru the "how to ask for help" thingy. The Calcium calendar is D3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month rotating weeks and then calcium without D3 every feeding other than the specified ones.

Im thinking now that its not eggs since the dirt has been in there a few days and Tomo has no interest. I am still unsure of the sex ans there is no way to tell with this species other than color which still makes it difficult. Tomo is looking more lively today. I have slowly taken things out of the cage as Tomo got bigger trying to free up more space and I think I cause a privacy problem. The cage was just too baron. I added some stuff and Tomo has been hiding behind them and at least climbing. :)

I think this issue along with he lack of exercise is whats causing this so I am actively seeking a new enclosure. Any help with that would be awesome as I get paid tomorrow but money is still very tight. Thanks!

I agree with others that you will need a larger cage, a 1 year old Oustalet's must be getting pretty big by now. How about posting a recent picture of your cham? I keep a couple of pairs of Oustalet's and breed them. The youngsters are pretty easy to sex by coloration by 8 weeks of age so I am sure we can judge the sex of your cham if you share a pic. My females will spend regular time on the floor of the cage (particularly middle of the day) in the run up to laying eggs even when the laying bin is already present. It sounds like you possible have a female developing eggs to me.

Please post a pic of your chameleon and by all means get the cage as soon as possible!! I cannot imagine keeping any year old chameleon in a cage that size.

Even my 1 year old Jackson female is in an 18x18x36 and she is probably 5x smaller then your Oustalet's. I would highly recommend something between 4-6 feet with plenty of vertical climbs as these are big boys (and girls) that we are talking about here. They rival even a Parson's for largest Cham size.

recent pictures of Tomo. Second one he is just lounging lol

Attachments

• 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 487.jpg
    487.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 475.jpg
    475.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 135
From the pics its a male. For a year he is really small dude. How many grams does he weigh? You need at least a 2-2-4. I have my male in a 175 gal reptarium. He weighs 400gs. He is most likely sitting at the bottom because the cage is extremely small. he is should be at least as long as the cage is wide by now. GET HIM A BIGGER CAGE ASAP. A healthy adult male.

Attachments

• IMG346.jpg
    IMG346.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom