shower

repsol153

just wondering, how does everyone shower there chams. i'm just trying to figure out a good way to do it.

Honestly I never have but have read so much about it on here. Get a large tall potted plant. Stick you cham on the plant in the shower. Run warm, not hot water so it bounces off the wall onto the plant and wahlah its shower time!!! Do not shower the cham directly!

Showering

Only problem with showering is there are some negative side affects.

For one, it can cause great stress to the chameleon, and I also unfortunately had a 9 month old ambilobe male, that received an eye infection I believe was from showering. His eye infection made him go blind in his eye, and caused more stress. The type of water used when showering isn't filtered or cleaned.

I think a great alternative, is misting 2-3 times per day, or have a mist-kit which mists several times at 40 second intervals throughout the day. This keeps the humidity up, and get him a little wett here and there, but keeps it as natural as possible. Yes it may cause him a little stress... But the water I use from my mist kit is siphoned from a treated water for my chameleons.

Humidity= misting often, plus live plants and watering helps. And a dripper 2 :D

Hope this helps

Only problem with showering is there are some negative side affects.

For one, it can cause great stress to the chameleon, and I also unfortunately had a 9 month old ambilobe male, that received an eye infection I believe was from showering. His eye infection made him go blind in his eye, and caused more stress. The type of water used when showering isn't filtered or cleaned.

I think a great alternative, is misting 2-3 times per day, or have a mist-kit which mists several times at 40 second intervals throughout the day. This keeps the humidity up, and get him a little wett here and there, but keeps it as natural as possible. Yes it may cause him a little stress... But the water I use from my mist kit is siphoned from a treated water for my chameleons.

Humidity= misting often, plus live plants and watering helps. And a dripper 2 :D

Hope this helps

what do you mist with the, bottled water or RO water? I have always misted with tap water and my cham drinks it too. No issues so far. But who knows, may depend on where you live and where your water comes from and how heavy the chemicals are they add to it.

Showering

I live in California, with traces of cocaine and heroin in our water supply ;(. So I cannot go by tap water consumption. ;(

Showering

Oh and I use mainly bottled water, and keep it at about room air. But the water I siphon, is huge bottles that are like 2 gallons, and just siphon it into my misting system. and then I poor just regular bottled water into my auto mister for my cham... I dunno maybe I'm just over paranoid I was just freaked out when my old chameleon had that eye infection.

just use a mister, you think it never rains in madagascar. thats how i do it and my chams don't mind it at all.

I live in California, with traces of cocaine and heroin in our water supply ;(. So I cannot go by tap water consumption. ;(

This is only in Europe and still only in extremely minuscule amounts. Chlorine might be a concern with tap water, but not this.

I would say REGARDLESS of where you live do you really want to take a chance on using just tap water for misting. I treat my tapwater with a Zoo Med product called Reptisafe. It is a water conditioner that you put in the tap water and it treats the water so it is safe. Just so you know the chemicals in tap water can also build up in you misters and causes problems after awhile.

I don't shower my chameleons unless they are super dehydrated (almost never), I do heat the misting system every-once in a while (to just above room temperature).

use distilled water if you are so worried. use that with either an electric mister (Mistking?) or a pump, fine-spray hand mister. either will work fine. the hand misters tend to stress the chameleon usually because they are large units

At one point, my downstairs bathroom shower/tub was a kind of elaborate highland cloud forest free-range.

I like to put them in the shower (Hoehnelii) and run a mister (rather than the shower head) over them for hours or even over night. I can position the mist head for a really drenching, but not overly powerful, effect.

They seem to settle into a kind of coma when this happens and I always wonder if they are dreaming when they shut down or is it more like an off switch...

California Water

I don't think it has crack or cocaine in it... I am sorry but cocaine is so expensive to buy, for it to actually show up in the millions of gallons of water pumped every day is literally impossible. Chlorine could show up but cocaine... come on be realistic. I don't know what news station you watch or newspaper but you should change your sources immediately. I live right off of Folsom Lake and I use shower water to fill up my mist king daily and my Chameleons and I myself are fine, and I am definitely not high from all the supposed cocaine in the water... I don't mean to come off as rude but that just bothered me to see that.

I think that comment was really funny, and I live on the coast in Cali as well. Sometimes ya gotta lighten up and just enjoy a little off humor :)
I just bring mine into the shower, let him roam around on my arms...or my head! And I have dark green towels across the top of my shower doors that he roams around on. I don't let him come into contact with the water cause its softened and I wont drink it, but he enjoys the humidity, roaming and time with me. And he always poops when in the shower....bonus!

Yeah I don't know why I took that cocaine comment literally... I'm actually the biggest bs'er I know when it comes to joking around. I just see some people believe some realllly dumb stuff. And yeah we have a prison but we have water straight from the Sierra's so its really clean. Bay area water is grossssss, but the tap water here taste better than most bottled water.

Back
Top Bottom