Show me your drip systems!

I bought some extensions for the Orbit kit that I used for my DIY mister. They have an inherent design problem with them. After having 3 out of 5 hardly did anything, I started chopping them open. I discovered that the little copper wire, used to bend the tube, was just small enough to enter the internal side of the fogger head and block it off. All's not lost though. I at least used the threaded end and the tube and added a dial-able nozzle that I found at the depot to slow down the amount of water going into the Big Dripper while to rest of the mister is running. I'll eventually get the right combo of input vs output. I must be something right. This afternoon I caught a little brown anole drinking right off the black tube of the Big Dripper. The zip ties are easy to move on and off the big dripper for access to the adjustable nozzle. See my previous post for the pics.

Attachments

• big dripper nozzle.jpg
    big dripper nozzle.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 182
  • big dripper drippin.jpg
    big dripper drippin.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 143
Anyone else have a drip system that they'd like to show off? It doesn't even have to be for a cham. Any drip system is welcome to this thread & I'd love to see them :)

Based on Ferritinmyshoe's post above, I modified my mister system to automatically refill the dripper reservoir. Attached is the diagram of what I did (obviously, not to scale). I always make diagrams before I do anything... Diagrams and spreadsheets :D

My supplies:

• MistKing Starter Misting System with standard pump and 1 nozzle (already had)
  • Little Dripper with standard dripper valve (already had)
  • 10-ft 1/4" inner diameter tubing (new, had some from MistKing setup but needed additional line)
  • T-connector to split the supply lines (new)
  • Adjustable valve to supply water to the Little Dripper (new)

I bought the fittings and extra tubing at Lowes. I spent less than 20$ total. The tubing was a little expensive for what it is since I bought the food-grade tubing. You can get everything from MistKing, too - probably better quality, as the cheap valves do tend to leak at little.

Everything I used has colleted push-type connections. You have to be a little careful with the push connections; if you do not get them seated quite right, they will pop loose when the pump kicks on and flood your living room and your husband will yell at you (true story).

After some tweaking and adjusting the various valves (the supply valve had to be closed just enough to build pressure at the mister nozzle but open enough to fill the dripper reservoir), it seems like 4 minute sessions every 2-1/2 hours is enough to help with humidity (stupid winter) and refill the dripper without overflowing. It did reduce the water volume at the mister nozzle - not an issue for me but something to consider.

As of today, it is working well - much better than I expected :) The entire project was very simple. My Jax has always preferred the dripper to the mister, but I'm too short to reach the top of my cage...even with the step ladder. Thanks to Ferret, he can now have both!

Attachments

• dripperMods.jpg
    dripperMods.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 149
Back
Top Bottom