Show me your Bioactive Vivariums Looking for Inspiration and Guidance

Sure thing! It was a small enclosure for my cham when he was a baby, so it was easier to flood. I did a false drainage system because I had a glass enclosure, and there was no way to easily siphon water out. I did have a pvc pipe that I could stick a turkey baster is to pull water out from but failed to use it in time and it was in a corner behind a bunch of plants and sticks so it was tricky to get back to it. I do believe that my soil mix was also an issue because it held in water.

So solutions include: 1) fast draining soil mix, high part sand 2) true drainage rather than false drainage - drainage holes to allow water to come out the bottom and be easily siphoned out 3) keep a close eye on drainage and water levels and intervene early if needed by adjusting misting nozzles, soil mix, and plant placement
Thank you for this, and will take extra care making sure the soil mix is correct and the drainage is good

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201114-181244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201114-181244_Chrome.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 96
Sure its something I will have to look at more closely before setting up next enclosure I didn't really give it much thought the jd was their so just got it . Thanks

Cool . Sorry I must have missed it. I seen a good thread last week that might be of interest. Will look it up and tag you

Here is the pics of the wall F44EF12C-0D31-4E64-A7E7-3C536B4A5AEE.jpeg 4AF4C302-C61D-4ECE-91DA-E5D9F65CCA87.jpeg 6F782ED9-0555-44D9-BD73-23A58BE38323.jpeg 910A3E00-5BA6-4EA9-9066-7E02D410CA49.jpeg

Ignore Larry. He’s trying to find a way to Imelda

Attachments

• 796396EE-3349-40CD-9111-33647FE9EB34.jpeg
    796396EE-3349-40CD-9111-33647FE9EB34.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 93
This is Wasabi's home!

A piece of advice I'd like to offer if going the background/built-in planter route: think about watering them. Pots at 45 degree angles are a pain to water well because the water just runs right off the surface, so leave a good lip or go vertical with them. Plants tucked away into corners can be tricky to get to behind branches and other plants, but a sprayer has helped me water all the nooks and crannies I've shoved plants into!

Also, it's worth spending more to get full, mature plants rather than letting small plants grow in (unless you've got a few months to let them establish). Constant trampling and/or munching makes it tough for a young plant to take off.

View attachment 282366 View attachment 282365
OMG this looks amazing!
I am planning to build three new homes for my Chameleons with my husband. No plans so far...
But I definitely love this picture! Any advices for me? What material did you use for the sides? It looks so phantastic natural!

OMG this looks amazing!
I am planning to build three new homes for my Chameleons with my husband. No plans so far...
But I definitely love this picture! Any advices for me? What material did you use for the sides? It looks so phantastic natural!

Thank you!
I covered the sides with HDPE, used expanding foam and cork bark on top of that, then did the silicone & coco coir method of covering the foam. I've fallen out of love with the coco coir/silicone process (it's a pain to spread the silicone and the smell is so intense on something this size) but it works.

This is Wasabi's home!

A piece of advice I'd like to offer if going the background/built-in planter route: think about watering them. Pots at 45 degree angles are a pain to water well because the water just runs right off the surface, so leave a good lip or go vertical with them. Plants tucked away into corners can be tricky to get to behind branches and other plants, but a sprayer has helped me water all the nooks and crannies I've shoved plants into!

Also, it's worth spending more to get full, mature plants rather than letting small plants grow in (unless you've got a few months to let them establish). Constant trampling and/or munching makes it tough for a young plant to take off.

View attachment 282366 View attachment 282365
Just one word, “BEAUTIFUL“

Back
Top Bottom