Should I weigh my Cham?

BirdieF18

Hi with my tortoise I have to weigh her every week and keep a track if she is losing or gaining weight. I can show the vet her weight over a period of time if for some reason I need to take her in. Should I do the same with my chameleon?

Yes you sholud, it will give you an idea if they might be overweight. And you definately should do it if you have a female.

I don't weight mine an there all perfectly healthy, it's just another job that I don't really fink is needed
It's not necessary - that's for sure. But as I'm a beginer I think it helps me understand their growth and adjust feeding to their needs. It still up to you.

I don't like to remove my chams from there enclosure unless it is a must, my young chams have only been out of there vivs once since I've had them at that was only for a mate to inspect them, a second opinion is always helpful

If your Cham is not stressed with you, you might weigh it frequently especially if you are new to the 'business'. But if it is less social with you, I would pay more attention to the proper gut loading of the feeders (as handling it might be even more counterproductive then).

If your Cham is not stressed with you, you might weigh it frequently especially if you are new to the 'business'. But if it is less social with you, I would pay more attention to the proper gut loading of the feeders (as handling it might be even more counterproductive then).
That's a good point, my chams love to be handled (ok, love to be outside the cage ;) ) so there's no extra stress for them when I weight them.

I weigh mine once a month since a few don't particularly enjoy being out of their cage. I didn't realize some of them were gaining as much weight as they were until I saw the trend in their chart. I had to cut back their feeding amount to keep them in good shape. And before one of mine got sick visibly I noticed his weight was dropping, which was very unusual for him. So I kept a really close eye on him and caught it very early. So it's not something you have to do, but I think it's a good thing to do. Kitchen gram scales are pretty cheap so it's not like it's a big burden or investment.

I weight mine regularly, about once a month. I keep it all recorded in a nice little book and I find it helpfull and interesting. Like Ferrit alot of my guys dont particularly enjoy being out of their cages so I miss it here and there.

Back
Top Bottom