Should I Start Digging Elsewhere?

Washoe

Our veiled was ready to lay eggs last week, but we couldn’t fit a bucket of sand in her cage. So we took a 40-gallon upright aquarium and filled it with 100 pounds of damp play sand, and let her have at it. She dug a tunnel all the way to the bottom and deposited 25 eggs in one corner. Is there any possibility that she dug a secondary tunnel elsewhere? As you can see in this picture, we excavated the corner of the tank and now have a huge mound against one side of it. Do we need to check the other corners? Should we remove all of the sand to do a more exhaustive search?

Tank.jpg

Why do you think she may have done this?

I didn’t. My wife just gets anxious about these things, and she forced me to ask here. Judging from the size of the eggs, I don’t even see how she even managed to pack 25 of them into that little body of hers, much less more than 25.

Make sure you are feeding her really well and watering/misting extra!
Congrats (are they fertile?)

-Brad

All of them are large and well formed—does that indicate viability? What else should I be looking for? Or are you simply asking if she mated during the period preceding the egg laying? The answer to that is yes, so I assume we’re having babies in a few months.

My girl laid 46 in her first clutch... At the beggining they all looked pretty plump and viable... Well about half of them turned up infertile about a month later. Good to hear you finally got that guy to mate her... I remember they were having lovers quarells. Typically after mating they will lay 3-4 weeks later... so depending on when you mated her it sounds like these are probably fertile. Congrats.

It was about 30 days ago, so I think we’re in business. The female panther at Theresa’s was sold, BTW. One of the employees bought her and intends to breed her. She even thinks she can save the eye, but that’s questionable. It looked like it was completely necrotic a month ago.

hehe...

Recognize the Cham in this post... http://https://www.chameleonforums.com/half-my-zoo-13714/I did... and I have spoken with her about it. I gave her some pointers on the eye and she says it is starting to open up again... It is still a mystery locale though(chantelle tried to find out for me to no avail)... And so is the male that she bought from reptile depot.

It is good that she is on here doing her research... and that that girl finally got out of that torturous little cell.

Back
Top Bottom