Should I lower the temperature?

jaidynwhitworth

I got my chameleon a few days ago so I’m just getting the hang of temperature and just reaaallly don’t wanna burn her. I was told to keep her basking spot at about 85-90 degrees but if it’s higher than that, and I turn it down, she moves closer to the lamp as if she wants it warmer. She is a rescue and was in a house fire before I got her so I’m wondering if she has some sort of nerve damage or if my thermometer is just off or what? Just curious as to what everyone’s thoughts are.

EDIT: She’s a veiled, but we don’t know the age unfortunately.

Last edited:
As I know, an older veiled needs higher basking temps. Babies 1-3 months old can survive even without a basking spot; depends on room temp. Older ones like mine (7 months) need at least 87 degrees Fahrenheit minimum. If you know the length of your cham, we can try to find an approximate age. :)

I got my chameleon a few days ago so I’m just getting the hang of temperature and just reaaallly don’t wanna burn her. I was told to keep her basking spot at about 85-90 degrees but if it’s higher than that, and I turn it down, she moves closer to the lamp as if she wants it warmer. She is a rescue and was in a house fire before I got her so I’m wondering if she has some sort of nerve damage or if my thermometer is just off or what? Just curious as to what everyone’s thoughts are.

EDIT: She’s a veiled, but we don’t know the age unfortunately.
With female veiled you want lower temps . She will lay eggs . You will need a lay bun for her if you are not aware . She can start to lay as early as five or six months .

As I know, an older veiled needs higher basking temps. Babies 1-3 months old can survive even without a basking spot; depends on room temp. Older ones like mine (7 months) need at least 87 degrees Fahrenheit minimum. If you know the length of your cham, we can try to find an approximate age. :)

She’s still too nervous for me to get her out of the enclosure to measure her but she seems to be about 6 inches not including her tail... that’s my best guess anyways.

83/84 is good . She sounds young . Any chance you can get a pic . Or does that upset her ?

Here’s a picture :)
400D8B7F-EE59-4E7E-965B-0BAE35399079.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom