should i have a cave im my chameleon cage?

mortthelizzard

hello y'all i have a 3 1/2 moth old male chameleon :D and last time i cleaned the cage i didn't put this rock with a arch all the way back and just tonight i saw him sticking his head out of that cave sleeping :rolleyes: hes always climbing during the day he is just normal hes eating fine i spray him three times a day (im planning to get a mister) so if nothing is wrong should i keep the cave? :confused: oh and what other bugs can i feed him with crickets. :eek:

is the cave on the ground? That would be unusual for a chameleon to sleep on the ground, that is why I am asking. You can feed him dubia roaches, silkworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, hornworms, moths, etc.

crickets, superworms, hornworms, flies, and an assortment of countless other insects.

As for the arch, take it out. Chameleons are arboreal reptiles. The more climbing space the better. They feel the safest and are the most at home in a tree branch like environment with plenty of leaves vines, and other things you would find hanging in a rainforest tree

I say leave it if he likes hiding in there to sleep leave it be. take a pic of his enclosure and let us see please. My male veiled el grumpo loves to hide up in one of his corners that is all covered up to sleep so i see no harm in it. as for food go with what carol posted but most of those should be a once or twice a week treat and not use as a stable food source. any more questions just ask!!!

i don't have my camera right now but next time i catch him there i take a pic

oh yeah the arch is just a part of his cage im wanting to put another branch in there but i have no time right now just to busy for me, its get the crickets and go right now

and sleeping on the ground is not unusual for my guy hes either on the wall or on under a bush or in his cave i guess hes just unique

well any feedback just reply

p.s. i think hes to small for all those big bugs my dads been telling me that meal-worms might do it but i'm not sure hes very experienced with lizards but i don't know about chameleons

Last edited:
crickets, superworms, hornworms, flies, and an assortment of countless other insects.

As for the arch, take it out. Chameleons are arboreal reptiles. The more climbing space the better. They feel the safest and are the most at home in a tree branch like environment with plenty of leaves vines, and other things you would find hanging in a rainforest tree

its not to wide its part of a rock that holds up the branch so i really cant take it out its very small like 3 inches wide (he's five inches long :D ) and ill add more branches so thanks for the advice :eek:

I say leave it if he likes hiding in there to sleep leave it be. take a pic of his enclosure and let us see please. My male veiled el grumpo loves to hide up in one of his corners that is all covered up to sleep so i see no harm in it. as for food go with what carol posted but most of those should be a once or twice a week treat and not use as a stable food source. any more questions just ask!!!

thank you for advice ill leave space back there when i clean the cage :D

i hate to be a downer, but by the sounds of it, you have your setup all wrong. he should NOT be on the ground and should be up high in branches. a natural habitat in the wild for them is to be high in the trees. never should they be on the ground. it seems like you have alot of items on the ground of your tank/terrarium and not enough climbing structures. this is not a good way to have your setup. please post pics so we can help you and your chameleon with his/her setup.

also if he is still a baby 0-6months, then he will need about 10-15 crickets a day! make shure he eats and drink enough. also his food needs to be dusted with vitamins (not shure if you know that already)

please post questions and we will help you get your setup correctly

thank you for advice ill leave space back there when i clean the cage :D
no problem but take a pic of his enclosure so we can give you better advise my veiled does hide up in a cubby hole to sleep in his cage so if yours is hiding in a cave its cause he feels safe and secure so don't take it out but we need a pic for best advice to be given. what size of crickets are you giving him if he is only 5 inches long i suggest 3 week old crickets for now but he will grow fast very soon.
Just an fyi, mealies don't really have any nutritional value. Try the silks, horns, butters
this is true hand feed him silks around 3ish in the afternoon this will help alot for bonding with him so he won't see you as a threat. i do it around that time so my chams have time to let the food digest before its night night time for them.

A cave for a chameleon isn't something normal...
But if I was a chameleon I WOULD BE PSYCHED!

Sounds like a great secure-feeling hiding/sleeping place to me. Plus I can only imagine how much fun it would be to corner crickets inside there.

In my opinion, I would keep it...make sure to clean it on a regular basis and keep a good eye on your cham to make sure he does not use the cave as a crutch/hiding place if exhibiting sickly behavior.

Back
Top Bottom