Should I get a chameleon?

Hello everyone! I'm a reptile lover and I've really been wanting a chameleon lately! I love flap neckeds, translucent veilds, and darker colored panthers (like Nosey Be's) the most. I have been doing TONS of research ever since my friend got one a few months ago. Which species should I get veiled or panther? Should I even get a cham? Don't worry, I have snakes and invertebrates and a few birds so I'm not a kid that will get over it after a month. I live in Chicago so I can take it out in the summer but totally not in the winter. I already breed crickets, mealworms, wax moth larvae, superworms (I'm starting superworms now)
silkworms, dubia roaches, and Madagascar hissers for food. I refuse to do fruit flies now because they are really obnoxious to my hermit crabs which eat fresh fruit a lot. So that's my situation. Should I get one?

depends if you are going to care for it properly and accept there may be chance that you are going to get a shy cham that may prefer its cage to being out and about. Id only get a baby and either a veield or panther or nosy b is up to you and what you can afford. I say baby because then you have a better chance of your cham being nice to you and growing use to you from an early age. As well, veilds apparently tend to be a lil more cautious than panthers and what not. That being said the choice is yours. last i checked LLL reptile had some awesome baby chams available. I myself just got my baby male veiled a few weeks ago and hes deff my lil homie whether he knows it or not:]

depends if you are going to care for it properly and accept there may be chance that you are going to get a shy cham that may prefer its cage to being out and about. Id only get a baby and either a veield or panther or nosy b is up to you and what you can afford. I say baby because then you have a better chance of your cham being nice to you and growing use to you from an early age As well, veilds apparently tend to be a lil more cautious than panthers and what not. That being said the choice is yours. last i checked LLL reptile had some awesome baby chams available.

I know that chameleons are mostly look not touch animals. I have a high shelf in my room so I'll put him there so he'll feel safe. I'll be going to the Tinley park reptile expo so hopefully I can get one then, if not, I'll get him from LLL, but I'd prefer to get it in person. I'll spoil him rotten. Don't worry :)

I know that chameleons are mostly look not touch animals. I have a high shelf in my room so I'll put him there so he'll feel safe. I'll be going to the Tinley park reptile expo so hopefully I can get one then, if not, I'll get him from LLL, but I'd prefer to get it in person. I'll spoil him rotten. Don't worry :)

Well there are a few breeders up their in Chicago actually. drcrossfire is one and he breeds beautiful ambilobe and nosy falys.

I think if you did your research and everything that a chameleon would be great. Especially with all those feeders you have breeding. Lol. If you really like them and don't want a reptile you must hold, I think they would be great. :)

Well there are a few breeders up their in Chicago actually. drcrossfire is one and he breeds beautiful ambilobe and nosy falys.

I think if you did your research and everything that a chameleon would be great. Especially with all those feeders you have breeding. Lol. If you really like them and don't want a reptile you must hold, I think they would be great. :)

Great! I guess I'll look for drcrossfire! And I think I said this before too, but I'm going to the Tinley Park reptile show so they might have some really cool ones too! :)

Hi and welcome!

The species is up to you, both are pretty hardy and their care is very similar. So get the one that calls to you the most, I say.

I'm going to give you a few links that might help yoou decide for yourself how well you think you can handle a chameleon.

The general chameleon care-sheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Veiled-specific care: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Panther-specific care: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

The cost of owning a chameleon: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/03/average-cost-of-owning-chameleon.html

If you like Flapnecks don't neglect them as an option. Also if you like flapnecks Senegals, Gracefuls and africanus are all similar looking and good options. Most of those are likely to be wild caught which increases the overall cost by requiring more vet evaluations and parasite removal so don't expect to be saving money...

I suggest reading the entire chameleon care section here and asking lots of questions where unclear.

Set up your enclosure, let it run, make sure you can stabilize RH and temps...

Once you've done all that not only should you get a chameleon, you should get several! (separate cages for each)

If you want a chameleon, and are able and willing to provide proper care, I don't see why you shouldn't!

Chameleons are not like other reptiles, so although you already own other reptiles, do not let that make you think that you already know what chameleons need.

This forum is by far the best place to go for information! People here are great at answering questions quickly.

It's great that you want a chameleon! Now, most people might say you should start with something easy like a panther or veiled but in my opinion, I think that you can keep any type of chameleon with the right care and devotion. I had wanted a Jacksons chameleon at first but couldn't find one anywhere where I live. So, uh, just as long as you can provide the proper care and love a pet chameleon deserves, the choice of which chameleon is ultimately up to you!

Hi and welcome!

The species is up to you, both are pretty hardy and their care is very similar. So get the one that calls to you the most, I say.

I'm going to give you a few links that might help yoou decide for yourself how well you think you can handle a chameleon.

The general chameleon care-sheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Veiled-specific care: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Panther-specific care: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

The cost of owning a chameleon: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/03/average-cost-of-owning-chameleon.html

Thanks so much for this info :)

If you like Flapnecks don't neglect them as an option. Also if you like flapnecks Senegals, Gracefuls and africanus are all similar looking and good options. Most of those are likely to be wild caught which increases the overall cost by requiring more vet evaluations and parasite removal so don't expect to be saving money...

I suggest reading the entire chameleon care section here and asking lots of questions where unclear.

Set up your enclosure, let it run, make sure you can stabilize RH and temps...

Once you've done all that not only should you get a chameleon, you should get several! (separate cages for each)

That's exactly why I'm leaning toward the panther/veiled side rather than getting a flapneck. I just want to have more experience with chameleons themselves rather than take on a wild caught. And I do plan on getting more! :) Doesn't everyone?

If you want a chameleon, and are able and willing to provide proper care, I don't see why you shouldn't!

Chameleons are not like other reptiles, so although you already own other reptiles, do not let that make you think that you already know what chameleons need.

This forum is by far the best place to go for information! People here are great at answering questions quickly.

Thanks! Well, all reptiles are quite different so I know that chams are no exception. And this forum is amazing! Everyone is so nice and informative :)!

It's great that you want a chameleon! Now, most people might say you should start with something easy like a panther or veiled but in my opinion, I think that you can keep any type of chameleon with the right care and devotion. I had wanted a Jacksons chameleon at first but couldn't find one anywhere where I live. So, uh, just as long as you can provide the proper care and love a pet chameleon deserves, the choice of which chameleon is ultimately up to you!

Thank you and that's great but I want to start out with something easier and more docile :)

Back
Top Bottom