Should I be taking my Jackson’s outside?

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I haven’t been because he does not like to be handled or coaxed onto a plant or tree. In winter of course I can’t because it will be very cold. Are his uvb lights enough?

You don't HAVE to given uvb and supplements, but it's a nice thing for them. I just gently lift my guy up from underneath... some species of cham do not ever take to handling, so you pretty much have to move them against their will. As long as you do it gently, it doesn't matter if they're upset for a few minutes if it means they get the benefits of being outside. They may even associate you with going out and take to it a little better the more you do it.

Yep ive read threads on here where chameleons have run off outside. Sometimes they are found, sometimes they aren't. Also, my chameleon is kind of the same situation as the OP. I've never actually taken him outside, because he does not usually trust me enough. Also, I kind of need a plan and some food to take out there in case he won't come back on his own because I reeeeeeaally do not want to have to catch him. I should really get to making that plan. But it's really up to you, whether you want to take him out even if he is not good with handling/does not trust you, or choose not to and wait to MAYBE (maybe because it does not always happen) eventually build more trust so he feels more comfortable. I hope that makes sense?

Just ordered one! It’ll be here Friday. Now to figure out how to coax him onto a plant that I can transfer into the butterfly cage.

Also you may have already thought about this but just wanted to mention it. When you take a cham outside be careful that no predator gets it. (Depending on what animals/birds live in your area) but I think the butterfly cage should help with that... though it is very fine fabric-like mesh if I’m not mistaken?? so I would still be cautious.

Yep, will do. I had a couple Jackson’s chams 25 years ago that I used to take outside. I just wasn’t sure with all the new info we have on them now if it was necessary to take Eustis outside or not. I do think he will enjoy it though if I can get him to get on a branch I can then transfer him Onto a plant in the butterfly enclosure.

Great and helpful videos! I need to try to work with Eustis on handling hi. Or at least getting him on a stick to take him in and out of his enclosure!

Back
Top Bottom