Keeping a Jackson (yellow crest) free range

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
Does someone have experience keeping a Jackson free range? Of course supplied with proper UVB, misting and fogging at his sleeping spot (once this is chosen).

@jamest0o0 any experience with keeping this species free range?

Thanks for your replies.

No sir, but I am hoping to get a jacksons someday soon and keeping him free ranged! I'd imagine parsons are fairly similar? I think Parsons see a little warmer temps and higher humidity during the day in the wild though.

No sir, but I am hoping to get a jacksons someday soon and keeping him free ranged! I'd imagine parsons are fairly similar? I think Parsons see a little warmer temps and higher humidity during the day in the wild though.
Hmmm🤔 still doubting about it.

So you have decided to get that jackson's huh?
Well, uh, well.........not completely, for 90% yes. Maybe I get him this week, still gathering information. Thing is I need to keep him outside for a few months. Because I don’t have any left, at the moment, where his enclosure / free range should come, due to the new kitchen that’s temporary stored there. We’re going to rebuild our house, in one or two months. Have been talking a lot with TerraKultur on IG, who keeps his chameleons all outside during this time of the year, so that should work. Planted Ranjo’s old enclosure last weekend with new plants, it isn’t perfect size wise, however always bigger and better then his current situation.

Jackson’s are known jumpers so that should be taken into consideration. There’s a video clip around somewhere search it. Still possible but area needs a good unclimbable fence.
Thanks, okay that’s definitely something to consider. Still don’t know for sure what to do, also thinking about the same as for Bella, however then with some kind of mosquito gauze around it.

Check out JannB's condo free range. If done properly it should prevent escapes. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...e-chameleon-condos-with-drainage-pans.146593/ see how they have a catch pan underneath and a screened in basking bulb etc.

So the jumping video was taken down but to summarize the Jackson's was on a palm and every time they put it back i jumped off and headed for a tree it wanted up and into. Jumped probably 3-5 feet down over and over again. The chameleon was OK.

Check out JannB's condo free range. If done properly it should prevent escapes. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...e-chameleon-condos-with-drainage-pans.146593/ see how they have a catch pan underneath and a screened in basking bulb etc.

So the jumping video was taken down but to summarize the Jackson's was on a palm and every time they put it back i jumped off and headed for a tree it wanted up and into. Jumped probably 3-5 feet down over and over again. The chameleon was OK.
It’s a bit in the same line as I build for Bella. This is her free range https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/
However ”no name yet” will come in the basement next to the Boehmei’s enclosure

I now, already after 2 hours, know why you‘re in love with Jackson’s. Damn their personality is completely different……..
He already ate a locust from my hand and had a good long drink……
On his way home…….sweet boy behaved all 40’ is a good co-rider

337F7308-43C2-4BFE-A8F9-4FB89CE93F55.jpeg

Time will tell if it works and if I need to close it completely. Made all side grip free with plastic sheets and build it from a rain barrel, size 30"x24"x36" filled it with soil for 15" and has a Schefflera, 2x Ficus Benjamina's planted. One ficus has a total height of 36". Also made an opening in front for more light and air flow and covered it with mesh.

fr1.jpg
fr2.jpg
fr3.jpg

Could I fly you to the States and hire you to help build my cages?! Seriously though, both your chams and their cages are always so amazing!!! Awesome job! :love: :love: :love: :love:
Damn I’m flattered 👏🏻
Already wanted to visit the States again and was thinking about carrier switch 😉🤣🤣

However I really don’t think it’s rocket science, just a bit of imagination. I built everything first in my head, and when that’s finished, I start searching for the suiting parts and pieces. Then I start the real life building and voila 😉

Back
Top Bottom