Shipping-the cham arrives at night...

zsazsa85

Established Member
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time... :) So my baby cham arrives from Hoj (member here on the forum)next Monday, late in the evening.
So What do you think I should do with him? He will travel the whole day, it means he will sleep. And at night when he suppose to be asleep, he will be awake... So what should I do?

Thanks guys!

I'm so happy your getting another chameleon- I was so sad about Gerzsild. I can't really give any good advise on what how you should handle the shipping question- all of mine came from the same time zone- That being said I can say what I would do- but if you get an answer from someone who's shipped from the east coast to west I'd ignore anything I have to say.

I would most likely keep your new guy up and give him water and see if he's hungry. If he eats I'd leave the lights on for and hour or so after he eats. I'd pretty much have his lights come on a bit later the next day but off at what will be his regular time. I think I was too worried him changing times when I got my panther and it would have been better if I had just kept to what was going to be his routine - I think getting them on a routine lets them settle in quicker - but since I have limited experience I might be totally wrong.

I would most likely keep your new guy up and give him water and see if he's hungry. If he eats I'd leave the lights on for and hour or so after he eats. I'd pretty much have his lights come on a bit later the next day but off at what will be his regular time. I think I was too worried him changing times when I got my panther and it would have been better if I had just kept to what was going to be his routine - I think getting them on a routine lets them settle in quicker - but since I have limited experience I might be totally wrong.

I have no experience with this but I would do the same thing as kplatvoet described above.

Congrats and hoping for a safe journey for your new little man.

I would also just get him right into your schedule as well. He'll have a weird day where gets to sleep a lot but he'll adjust quickly.

Thank you very much everyone for the advice!
Thank you Kate for remembering of Gerzsild! In September I got a veiled baby boy but two days after the shipping he passed away...Something must've happened during the shipping. So I have some bad experiences but I don't give up! I love these creatures! :) I'm hoping the best!

Glad you were able to get another cham :) I also would give them a few hours to settle in after arriving before turning the lights off and then just go to the planned schedule.

My chameleons are all on a 12AM-12PM schedule so that I can give them proper care based on my work schedule (they are setup so it is completely dark when their lights are out). My first veiled I adjusted slowly by moving him a few hours a day to this schedule, but it seemed to confuse him more than being helpful. So when I got my two panthers I immediately put them on the changed schedule and they adjusted very quickly, going to sleep at the normal time within a day or two.

Thank you Ben! :) Ok, I will do as all of you said. Hoj and Mic said the same thing, I just wanted to ask more people,may be somebody had more expreience.
But when I got the previous little boy, he arrived at that late time as well, I did the same thing: Lights on for about 2 hours, gave him water and then turned the lights off. It was 1-2 am. Then lights on at 7am and he was already awake, he was actually hanging from the top screen when I turned the lights on...
So is that normal if the baby will do the same?

Back
Top Bottom