shipping silkies in cold weather

whitespyder

i live in jersey and although the weather has been fairly nice for winter (its been in the high 40s this week) im wondering whether or not the silkworms would survive being shipped from florida. and my chameleon just loves silkies too much for me to wait until spring! coastal silkworms can ship with heat packs but they only last 40 or so hours and they are usually on the road for up to 3 days. im just worried the heat will wear off and i'll end up getting a box of silkworm popsicles on my doorstep.

has any one in the area not have problems ordering silkworms in the winter?

I had silkies shipped to me in 40 degree weather from new jersey and they were fine. Just use heat packs and buy the better shipping.

Edit: the low forties, perhaps 39 one night.

It's in the mid and upper twenties here in michigan and I got like 500 silkies from coastal silkworms two or three days ago and they were all alive. They were slow moving and cold but all alive. I have only lost 2 so far so I think they stayed warm enough.

Justin

I just happened to get my delivery from coastal this morning. 200 slikies and no fatalities. The heat packs still had a bit of warmth to them. I had them delivered to my office and the postal service dropped them off at 9am.

oooh nice! did you get overnight delivery though? i think ill probably wait until all these snowstorms are over so they dont get delayed. i hope thalamus can wait until then :p

You should be fine. If they are medium or large they will make it but smaller than that I would be a little worried.

-Clemonde

Sorry Whitespyder that I didn't respond quicker. I have been away for a few. No I used regular shipping with them. And looking at the forecast for the next few days after today's snow it's supposed to warm up here a bit so you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom