Shipping Feeders to West Coast Canada

Kris_and_Terry

Hi,

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. We are moving away from crickets for our guy and our pet store only has super worms and occasionally horn worms (but the last batch they had were way too big to feed to our chameleon). I am trying to find a way to get live feeders (black fly larvae, silk worms, small horn worms) to the west coast of Canada. The only Canadian companies I’ve been able to find are in Ontario or Nova Scotia and don’t seem to ship across the country during the winter. I found one in California called Mulberry Farms but the fine print suggests that the only thing they ship across national borders is silk worms.

Any Canadians on the coast out there that can help me figure out where to order from?

Thanks!
Kris

Hi,

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. We are moving away from crickets for our guy and our pet store only has super worms and occasionally horn worms (but the last batch they had were way too big to feed to our chameleon). I am trying to find a way to get live feeders (black fly larvae, silk worms, small horn worms) to the west coast of Canada. The only Canadian companies I’ve been able to find are in Ontario or Nova Scotia and don’t seem to ship across the country during the winter. I found one in California called Mulberry Farms but the fine print suggests that the only thing they ship across national borders is silk worms.

Any Canadians on the coast out there that can help me figure out where to order from?

Thanks!
Kris
Silkworms.ca

Thanks Kaizen! I had found the silkworms.ca site before actually but their “shipping and handling” information links to a blank page and the area code for the phone number is in Toronto.

The one in Sask doesn’t appear to sell horn worms or silkworms unfortunately so I guess I will be cobbling things together from a bunch of place :(. I was really hoping to find one place where I could put my order in. Sigh.

Thanks Kaizen! I had found the silkworms.ca site before actually but their “shipping and handling” information links to a blank page and the area code for the phone number is in Toronto.

The one in Sask doesn’t appear to sell horn worms or silkworms unfortunately so I guess I will be cobbling things together from a bunch of place :(. I was really hoping to find one place where I could put my order in. Sigh.
Seriously though, try @cloverthechameleon. He’s in your area, and has chams. Ask him where he gets his stuff.

Hi,

Thanks!
Kris
I've had great results with mulberry Farms hornworms. Their silkworms (and eggs) however are sub par. Their "customer service" took a month to even respond to me. When they finally admitted that it was in fact an issue on their end, I received absolutely NOTHING beyond what THEY considered to be adequate replacement. [I had over 3,000 eggs not hatch and they said they'd replace 1500]. Even with photos, order and tracking numbers, and another month of hit and miss communication I was less than satisfied. The cost of shipping me the eggs they said they'd replace was just as expensive as ordering another batch of eggs. Needless to say I no longer give them my business...

My point here is that if it is your only option, they have OK worms (I was able to get 17 to cocoon and about half hatched to moths - none of the eggs ever hatched). However, beware of their customer service, especially given the cross border shipping.

I now have an awesome breeding setup of my own and TONS of worms and eggs! I wish I had started here...

Best wishes!

I've had great results with mulberry Farms hornworms. Their silkworms (and eggs) however are sub par. Their "customer service" took a month to even respond to me. When they finally admitted that it was in fact an issue on their end, I received absolutely NOTHING beyond what THEY considered to be adequate replacement. [I had over 3,000 eggs not hatch and they said they'd replace 1500]. Even with photos, order and tracking numbers, and another month of hit and miss communication I was less than satisfied. The cost of shipping me the eggs they said they'd replace was just as expensive as ordering another batch of eggs. Needless to say I no longer give them my business...

My point here is that if it is your only option, they have OK worms (I was able to get 17 to cocoon and about half hatched to moths - none of the eggs ever hatched). However, beware of their customer service, especially given the cross border shipping.

I now have an awesome breeding setup of my own and TONS of worms and eggs! I wish I had started here...

Best wishes!
Thanks for the feedback! That was one of my fears with cross-border shipping for sure. I think I am going to stick to Canadian for now and see how it goes.

I haven’t actually ordered anything from them.
have you actual got anything from this guy? Every time I tried to order he said he didn’t have silkworms in stock. Which is weird for a site called silkworms.ca

@Kris_and_Terry have you tried https://thewormlady.ca/ ?

I would ship you some BSFl but I think silks and hornworms wouldn’t do good this time of year.
I haven't tried the worm lady yet. She is in Ontario and I was hoping to find something closer. I think I may just be SOL for silks and horns because her site and the other one I found in NS both had disclaimers about not shipping in temps below 0. Well that's fine for here on the west coast but not so much for the rest of the country lol!

I haven't tried the worm lady yet. She is in Ontario and I was hoping to find something closer. I think I may just be SOL for silks and horns because her site and the other one I found in NS both had disclaimers about not shipping in temps below 0. Well that's fine for here on the west coast but not so much for the rest of the country lol!
I will try to ship to bc next week with 48h shipping and heat pack I let you know if it work! Silkworm can survive down to 10celcius

so I made some freaking test the s week and I put 5 silkworm in my refrigerator (4 Celsius:p)
- 24 hours later : still alive I took 1 off and feed him, he did warm up and started to eat normally.. now growing and living happy life
- 36 hours later : one died : he was the smallest one .. I took one off (alive now eating and doing good
- 48 hours later : two remaining still in the refregerator so far :p I will try for another 24 hours and free him to feed him and check if he live normally :)

so shipping 48 hours with heat pad might work for silkworm and bsfl (I know bsfl can survive to cold temp no test needed here lol)

Back
Top Bottom