Shedding

BLUE boone

Hey my juvenile panther Cham started to shed last night and completed the whole shed except for a few leg spots. He was completely black during the whole shed and is still black the morning after. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable besides misting more, already doing that

MYTHS UNLEASHED: Chameleon shedding...

Often, people ask: “What should I do when my chameleon is shedding?”
And often, many people rush with good advices like:
“Increase humidity!”
“Spray the enclosure!”
“Spray with warm water!”
All these recommendations are uncritically parroted for ages.
And, they all are totally WRONG.

WHY?
Increased humidity brings problems for shedding once it is in process!!!
In chameleons, unlike e.g. in snakes, the old skin gets separated from the new one by AIR LAYER.
So, if you increase the humidity or even spray, the old skin gets glued to the new one and the shedding process gets stuck!
On Contrary:
Keep the humidity low when the shedding happens, it is over in several hours.

Never spray chameleon with warm water! You will burn him! Warm perceived by humans is around 110F, even lukewarm is at our body-temperature at 98,6F: that is too high for a Chameleon!

Only in case the old shed gets stuck, make it moist with cold (room temperature) water and remove mechanically!
Never use any oil nor vaseline to do so! It is useless, it can be harmful! Water does the job best, easiest, most natural way!

Some people will object: but I was advised so for long time.
OK, please ignore it! We were also told for centuries, our earth is flat and people saying it was round were crucified...

Some people will object: but I spray my chameleon and it sheds!
OK, then please understand, he/she is shedding not BECAUSE you spray but DESPITE OF your spraying and you are lucky that it does not cause problems.

So,
“WHAT TO DO, once I notice my Chameleon is shedding?”
Do nothing!
Do not spray on him!
Do not spray the enclosure!
Do Not increase humidity!
Let him/her get rid of the old skin.

Yea I noticed when he would go near the light the old skin would get dry and come off easier than wet skin I was just wondering why he is such a black color after the shedding is almost complete like he is jet black never seen him like that before

Yea I noticed when he would go near the light the old skin would get dry and come off easier than wet skin I was just wondering why he is such a black color after the shedding is almost complete like he is jet black never seen him like that before

Pic?

Have you filled out the "How to ask for help form?"

Please fill this out as detailed as you can.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

male panther cham 6 months

i have only handled once in the last month

super worms, crickets gutloaded with flunkers cricket food

exo terra multi vitamin, zoomed calcium

i have a dripper running 4-5 hours a day, mist about 4 times

normal feces I know what its supposed to look like

cage type 3 feet high 1.5 wide and deep, 3 sides glass top and bottom are screen

reptile uvb 100, halogen light bulb for heat

fake plants

humidity stays a 50 spikes at night with fogger

placement on top of dresser in bedroom

boone Nc

Photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 93

Hi there and welcome. Can you please take pics of your entire cage lights down. I am going to go through your help form but we will need additional info to properly help you.

male panther cham 6 months

i have only handled once in the last month

super worms, crickets gutloaded with flunkers cricket food Gutload is not adequate. I will post an image for this. You can use better commercial gutloads like repashy bug burger. I will also give you an image for feeders so you can add more diversity to his diet.

exo terra multi vitamin, zoomed calcium What is your schedule for using these? Does the calcium have D3 in it? Does the exo terra have D3 in it?

i have a dripper running 4-5 hours a day, mist about 4 times How long are you misting for? Never up misting when shedding. They are dry shedders and need the air between the shed and skin.

normal feces I know what its supposed to look like ok have you gotten a fecal? how does the Urate look?

cage type 3 feet high 1.5 wide and deep, 3 sides glass top and bottom are screen So is this an exo terra cage? Is the front screen? could you take a pic please?

reptile uvb 100, halogen light bulb for heat What type of bulb are you using for the UVB there are multiple types and some can be very harmful for them, some do absolutely nothing for chams, or are you running a long linear T5HO fixture with bulb? If so what type of bulb UVB strength. Need details here.

fake plants Real plants are better for them should you decide to go that route.

humidity stays a 50 spikes at night with fogger

placement on top of dresser in bedroom

boone Nc

What are the temps you are getting at basking and ambient? How are you measuring these?

So if you can answer the questions above we can assist you further in figuring out the issue. :)

Back
Top Bottom