Shedding Tips?

Are you still housing them in the same enclosure? It is not normal at all if one is not going into the heat. There is no such thing as a cham not liking heat. The only way this makes sense is if you have them in the same cage and they are stressing each other out. The one that is staying out in the heat is taking on the dominant role and intimidating the other so that she is hiding.
"Each of them have a 16x16x36 cage" but I understand there was an old post about them and the cage are roughly new? that could be a cause of stress, new home always a stress for chameleon, they take some time to get used to it

"Each of them have a 16x16x36 cage" but I understand there was an old post about them and the cage are roughly new? that could be a cause of stress, new home always a stress for chameleon, they take some time to get used to it
I know they get stressed very easily so is that likely all then? She's not necessarily at the bottom of her cage but she is often under foilage or near the middle of the cage's height. I'm making them some better cages cause the one's they have I heard were too small and they need 2ftx2ftx4ft cages? I can't find any bigger one's near me in Petstore's so I figured it'd be best to try to make one on my own. Is furring strip board okay for them?

I know they get stressed very easily so is that likely all then? She's not necessarily at the bottom of her cage but she is often under foilage or near the middle of the cage's height. I'm making them some better cages cause the one's they have I heard were too small and they need 2ftx2ftx4ft cages? I can't find any bigger one's near me in Petstore's so I figured it'd be best to try to make one on my own. Is furring strip board okay for them?

From what i look with your pictures, your cages size is ok for now but you need to add more horizontals branches and perches. I dont know what bulb or basking spot you have.

"
Can you show pictures of the entire cage setup (with the bulb brand and wattages)? so far they look a bit exhausted maybe this is juste because of the picture but my philosophy is better to be safe than sorry :)

how do the poop look like (texture, Color and frequency) and if possible grab a video when you pinch the skins over the belly (skin texture.. soft wrinkle are good indicators :)"

From what i look with your pictures, your cages size is ok for now but you need to add more horizontals branches and perches. I dont know what bulb or basking spot you have.

"
Can you show pictures of the entire cage setup (with the bulb brand and wattages)? so far they look a bit exhausted maybe this is juste because of the picture but my philosophy is better to be safe than sorry :)

how do the poop look like (texture, Color and frequency) and if possible grab a video when you pinch the skins over the belly (skin texture.. soft wrinkle are good indicators :)"
Hi. I kept waiting to see and give an update on her shed and all that and then time passed.
So I have her now in a 2x2x4 cage that I had ordered. She has more vertical branches and a hibiscus tree. Her diet is now more diverse. I got her to eat some superworms, romaine lettuce, and a small bit of cucumber. I think she has been eating the hibiscus tree? Haha.
She never shed until this week. She was fine after I mentioned her shedding but now she is shedding like crazy.
I put in two more horizontal vines but she doesn't care for them.

Attachments

• 19261.jpeg
    19261.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 62
  • 19259.jpeg
    19259.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi. I kept waiting to see and give an update on her shed and all that and then time passed.
So I have her now in a 2x2x4 cage that I had ordered. She has more vertical branches and a hibiscus tree. Her diet is now more diverse. I got her to eat some superworms, romaine lettuce, and a small bit of cucumber. I think she has been eating the hibiscus tree? Haha.
She never shed until this week. She was fine after I mentioned her shedding but now she is shedding like crazy.
I put in two more horizontal vines but she doesn't care for them.
Full mummy mode! Anyway we can see a picture of your setup with the new home improvements? :)

Full mummy mode! Anyway we can see a picture of your setup with the new home improvements? :)
Ah I really want to but I turned her lights off at nine and I feel like she'll not be too happy if I turn them back on now haha. I will make sure to post lots in the morning. I have 5 or 6 things of vines in there, the hibiscus tree, two 6 foot terra vine curled all around, a hammock, and a dripper. I have a shower curtain around three sides of it to help keep humidity in (I live in south western PA) and UVB and heat lamp majority of the day until about 9 then I turn it back on anytime from 6-8.
I kept saying oh I'l just fix up the cage and then show them all my improvements and then I got a little carried away haha.

Ah I really want to but I turned her lights off at nine and I feel like she'll not be too happy if I turn them back on now haha. I will make sure to post lots in the morning. I have 5 or 6 things of vines in there, the hibiscus tree, two 6 foot terra vine curled all around, a hammock, and a dripper. I have a shower curtain around three sides of it to help keep humidity in (I live in south western PA) and UVB and heat lamp majority of the day until about 9 then I turn it back on anytime from 6-8.
I kept saying oh I'l just fix up the cage and then show them all my improvements and then I got a little carried away haha.
Sounds good. Can't wait to see it! ;)(y)

@Mawtyplant @CamoChameleonsHuman
This is the set up for my smaller chameleon. I'm trying to set up a "little dripper" for both of them at the moment but it's a little finicky.

Attachments

• 15594970966794128451037993886344.jpg
    15594970966794128451037993886344.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 15594971283724961524930991092537.jpg
    15594971283724961524930991092537.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
@Mawtyplant @CamoChameleonsHuman
This is the set up for my smaller chameleon. I'm trying to set up a "little dripper" for both of them at the moment but it's a little finicky.
Hey hun your gonna need to add quite a bit more. plants and horizontal perches... Is that a waterfall in the back corner? If so it needs to go as well. The hammock should go as well. If you are having issues with water spraying out you can use a shower curtain or a bamboo mat around the outside. Have you upgraded your uvb lighting yet?

Better then the little dripper, automate it https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...nstructions-the-better-little-dripper.169471/

Your doing everything right. You can help buy misting them with Luke warm water to help loosen the shed. How are they doing now?
Absolutely wrong advice.
The humidity levels should be kept
Even lower and. I misting while shedding itherwise the shed gets stuck.
No luke warm
Watee should be used fir chameleons ever! Itnis 98 degrees hot! Too hot for them

Hey hun your gonna need to add quite a bit more. plants and horizontal perches... Is that a waterfall in the back corner? If so it needs to go as well. The hammock should go as well. If you are having issues with water spraying out you can use a shower curtain or a bamboo mat around the outside. Have you upgraded your uvb lighting yet?

Better then the little dripper, automate it https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...nstructions-the-better-little-dripper.169471/
Why do I need to update my UVB? I got a new bulb last week. I have a shower curtain around the cage. Why does the hammock and little waterfall need to go?

Absolutely wrong advice.
The humidity levels should be kept
Even lower and. I misting while shedding itherwise the shed gets stuck.
No luke warm
Watee should be used fir chameleons ever! Itnis 98 degrees hot! Too hot for them

I can barely understand a word your trying to say, but yes your right. Chameleons are dry shedders and should not be sprayed. If your having shed problems you need to review your humidity and nutritional practices.

Edit: didn't realize it was you, Pete. Since English is like your 5th language I guess your grammar is excusable! Lol

Last edited:
Why do I need to update my UVB? I got a new bulb last week. I have a shower curtain around the cage. Why does the hammock and little waterfall need to go?
Exactly what @Brodybreaux25 posted is why. Compact lighting has been known to cause eyes issues but worse then that the only portion of UVI is right below the bulb and quite close to it. A T5HO fixture with either a 10.0 or 12% bulb should be used for a veiled. This fixture should run the length of your enclosure and sit directly on the frame top. In nature they do not have hammocks. So we are mimicking what they have in nature. The screen on the enclosure is enough of a risk when it comes to them getting their nails stuck the hammock is un natural since they do not walk flat footed. They grab when they walk.

Exactly what @Brodybreaux25 posted is why. Compact lighting has been known to cause eyes issues but worse then that the only portion of UVI is right below the bulb and quite close to it. A T5HO fixture with either a 10.0 or 12% bulb should be used for a veiled. This fixture should run the length of your enclosure and sit directly on the frame top. In nature they do not have hammocks. So we are mimicking what they have in nature. The screen on the enclosure is enough of a risk when it comes to them getting their nails stuck the hammock is un natural since they do not walk flat footed. They grab when they walk.

UVB- looks like you have the CFL version, need linear

Hammock- chams nails tend to get caught in them and break off or cause a fall

Waterfall- they are bacterial time bombs, impossible to keep clean

https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-uvb-light.jpg

I usually set her food in a dish on her hammock so she can get the worms, romaine lettuce, veggies, ect. without it being a mess all over cage.
I'll get rid of that water fall though.
It sure is alot of work to clean everyday. Good riddance.
With the UVB, should I get 10 then? I'm looking at some now.
I have a question with her shedding? She has it all off besides this little bit on her face. Should I try to help her or just let it be? It's very white and flaky but she just can't seem to get it off.

I usually set her food in a dish on her hammock so she can get the worms, romaine lettuce, veggies, ect. without it being a mess all over cage.
I'll get rid of that water fall though.
It sure is alot of work to clean everyday. Good riddance.
With the UVB, should I get 10 then? I'm looking at some now.
I have a question with her shedding? She has it all off besides this little bit on her face. Should I try to help her or just let it be? It's very white and flaky but she just can't seem to get it off.
I got mine from pet mountain that's the cheapest place I could find it!

Back
Top Bottom