Shedding Tips?

pi_and_peg

I've got two chameleons and one of them is going through thier first shed with me. Is there anything I should know? I have the humidity up higher than before, and I tried to not get too in her face with food cause I assumed for the next couple days she wouldn't really want to eat that much (I found at that was false, that fatty wanted more ) and I haven't held her since I saw little bits of shed.

Your doing everything right. You can help buy misting them with Luke warm water to help loosen the shed. How are they doing now?

Your doing everything right. You can help buy misting them with Luke warm water to help loosen the shed. How are they doing now?
misting them directly will in fact get shedding more complicated since the shed separated with an air layer. So the only things you can do is classic good husbandry practice, if your humidity, hydratation, temperatures and vitamins are good let your chameleon do the rest ;) only manage is some pieces get stuck (roughly.. injury site, fungus, dermatitis or stuff like that can be a cause of stuck shed)

misting them directly will in fact get shedding more complicated since the shed separated with an air layer. So the only things you can do is classic good husbandry practice, if your humidity, hydratation, temperatures and vitamins are good let your chameleon do the rest ;) only manage is some pieces get stuck (roughly.. injury site, fungus, dermatitis or stuff like that can be a cause of stuck shed)
You have a tip to get the last of a stick shed off my female? She has an old thermal from her past owner I’ve been trying to get off but no luck now for 2 months. It has shrunk a lot since I got her. Her previous vet tried to peel it off when I had to ask him to stop

You have a tip to get the last of a stick shed off my female? She has an old thermal from her past owner I’ve been trying to get off but no luck now for 2 months. It has shrunk a lot since I got her. Her previous vet tried to peel it off when I had to ask him to stop

you have a picture?

I can't really directly mist her where she is. She's under all of the foilage. Alot of the shed I see is coming off of her face and underbelly. Yesterday there was little bits and I think today is the day where most of it's gonna come off.

She had three but the other 2 have healed for the most part
65E8AC35-54F6-497A-9AAA-5740F9CFF405.jpeg

B4 they healed.

584BDF66-3E9F-4380-A988-1CDB20CC5A26.jpeg

How long should she take to shed?

She had three but the other 2 have healed for the most partView attachment 232705
B4 they healed.

View attachment 232706
Oups she need a diet and a lying bin! humm if this is my chameleon I will try to clean it with proviodone regular and put silverderm cream du not pull this off (but you know that ;) ) I know zoo med got some shed aid spray? is one member have any experience with?

Oups she need a diet and a lying bin! humm if this is my chameleon I will try to clean it with proviodone regular and put silverderm cream du not pull this off (but you know that ;) ) I know zoo med got some shed aid spray? is one member have any experience with?
She already laid her eggs like a week ago that’s an old photo from 4 weeks ago lol I’ll try the cream on her next thanks. She was also put on a diet when I got her. Old Owner was over feeding her super worms. She was very broken when I got her back in January

If your husbandry is right it should only take about a day. Do you run your humidifier at night?
I don't have a humidifier but I have a heater a couple feet from thier cage and I mist them warm water. I read it could take her multiple days. Is that false?
Also, do you have any tips about getting them a varied diet? I've tried alot and they only want crickets. I gut load them and all but it worries me. I've tried super worms and they were not having it. I also tried some veggies like cucumber and spinach and even strawberries but they were not interested.
I recently got a pothos and hibiscus but they don't really show it intrest in it.

I don't have a humidifier but I have a heater a couple feet from thier cage and I mist them warm water. I read it could take her multiple days. Is that false?
Also, do you have any tips about getting them a varied diet? I've tried alot and they only want crickets. I gut load them and all but it worries me. I've tried super worms and they were not having it. I also tried some veggies like cucumber and spinach and even strawberries but they were not interested.
I recently got a pothos and hibiscus but they don't really show it intrest in it.
Have you tried roaches yet? My guy just had some red runners for the first time. Loves them. Silkworms are super good for them.

Have you tried roaches yet? My guy just had some red runners for the first time. Loves them. Silkworms are super good for them.
I'll look for some roaches. They're really uninterested in majority of things I give them, so I think it just might be they don't like if it's right in front of them easy to eat? They like to hunt.

I'll look for some roaches. They're really uninterested in majority of things I give them, so I think it just might be they don't like if it's right in front of them easy to eat? They like to hunt.
got some pictures of them and description of the habitat and husbandry? sometime stress/overrfeed or lack of something in caring is the key toward appetite, Veiled are not usually picky so might be something you miss around them

got some pictures of them and description of the habitat and husbandry? sometime stress/overrfeed or lack of something in caring is the key toward appetite, Veiled are not usually picky so might be something you miss around them
I have some pictures. I know they look very small compared to me, but I am also like 4'10" and have baby hands so, trust me, they're right for thier size.
Each of them have a 16x16x36 cage, lots of foilage, I mist them alot, they have UVB and a basking light. My one really doesn't like heat and spends alot of her time under foilage and my other spends her time right under the basking light. I feed them once or twice a day, since they're only 4 months and I want to make sure they're eating enough. I turn the lights off at night and when it's nice and sunny, I take them outside for a couple minutes and let them get some natural sun.

Attachments

• 14673.jpeg
    14673.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 14373.jpeg
    14373.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190427_182117.jpg
    20190427_182117.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 55
I have some pictures. I know they look very small compared to me, but I am also like 4'10" and have baby hands so, trust me, they're right for thier size.
Each of them have a 16x16x36 cage, lots of foilage, I mist them alot, they have UVB and a basking light. My one really doesn't like heat and spends alot of her time under foilage and my other spends her time right under the basking light. I feed them once or twice a day, since they're only 4 months and I want to make sure they're eating enough. I turn the lights off at night and when it's nice and sunny, I take them outside for a couple minutes and let them get some natural sun.
Have you taken them to the vet like told in your old post? That eye still looks bad

Are you still housing them in the same enclosure? It is not normal at all if one is not going into the heat. There is no such thing as a cham not liking heat. The only way this makes sense is if you have them in the same cage and they are stressing each other out. The one that is staying out in the heat is taking on the dominant role and intimidating the other so that she is hiding.

Can you show pictures of the entire cage setup (with the bulb brand and wattages)? so far they look a bit exhausted maybe this is juste because of the picture but my philosophy is better to be safe than sorry :)

how do the poop look like (texture, Color and frequency) and if possible grab a video when you pinch the skins over the belly (skin texture.. soft wrinkle are good indicators :)

Back
Top Bottom