Shedding: tail part won't come off. Should I worry?

fevieiraleite

Hey guys, first of all, I'd like to thank everyone of you from this forum. The information provided here is just phenomenal and I am definitely a better "father" for my Charmeleon (Yes, that's his name haha).

But now let's talk about my real issue. I got a veiled chameleon a month ago (he was 6 months when I got him according to the reptile shop owner) and he went through his first shedding around 5 days ago. He went through his whole body in about 2 days, but there is a part on his tale (about half of it) that just simply wont come out. I've been misting a lot and many times aiming for his tale to see if it will come out.

I wouldn't be worrying too much, but I remember I saw someone saying in this forum that it could lead to amputation if a part doesn't come out.
Is this true? Should I start worrying?

Thanks again to everyone, and I just want to point out that the reason I didn't use the whole "How to ask for help" format was because most of it would be irrelevant for this particular issue.

A picture paints a thousand words.

If the skin is restricting blood flow then it is an issue, this is to my understanding usually caused by a band of skin remaining rather than half a tails worth.

I can not really say what to do for now other than monitor, it should come off naturally, if after a few more days it has not you could try a warm bath just for the tail.

I would wait for more experienced members to respond also. :~)

here is a picture of him I took earlier today. You can see in his tale the part where it's kinda coming off but it's been like this for a few days now.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 117
Looks like it is not restricitng blood flow..

I would still leave it for say another 24 hours, keep the humidity up, if it still has not shed, then before handling him grab a 2ltr ice cream tub or suitable water tight container, then add water, I would make the temperature about 35-40C no hotter.

Then, soak his tail, sounds simple, it probably will not be, have fun, I would do it in an empty bath tub..:)

I read somewhere on here that there is an oil like coconut oil or something like that that will free up the dead skin so it will come off.

Back
Top Bottom