Shedding Question...Twice in 2 weeks?

CJRenick

Chameleon Information:
Species: Veiled
Time in my care: 15 months
Feeding: 6-8 crickets a day, skip a day every so ofter
Vitamins: Fluker's Calcium and RepCal Multivitamin, feed crickets with Fluker's orange cubes.

Cage: 18x18x24

Most recent shed October 10...and tonight I noticed he is shedding again. Today is the 24. It this normal?

that is kind of unusual for being 18 months old. Not saying there is anything wrong or not but in the 15 months you have had him , I am assuming as he has gotten older he does not shed every two weeks?. Mine cham is almost 11 months old and has not shed in about 5 weeks now. Do you notice anything unusual about this shed? One other note, that cage is awfully small for an adult veild chameleon. Also, are you using cal w/d3?

Yes, that cage is much too small for a cham as old as him.

Is it a full body shed? Reptiles will shed to cure cuts and scrapes, so it's possible that if yours got a little cut or a couple scrapes he's shedding now as part of the healing process.

I check him everyday when I mist him to make sure mornings wrong, normally he goes about 6 weeks in between sheddings. I've been getting gutloaded crickets from the same place (and some occasional petsmart batches) since he was about 5 months. It's a full body shed, tail, back, eyes, legs...

His fecal material is normal and he ate today too. He normally eats when he sheds, so that's not abnormal.

Also I didn't think it was too small, he has a tree to climb on (fake) and its 24" tall. I know they are vertical climbers. What do you suggest?

Also, I bought him when he was a baby (about 2-3 months). Have had him sine August 2009. He does not seem to me like he is full grown (length wise). How long should they get, around 18 inches correct? He's only about 12...

This is him. Sorry for so many posts.

Attachments

• Kenneth.jpg
    Kenneth.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169
You should have him in a cage that is 24 X 24 X 48. Twenty four inches tall is WAY too short! What about the supplements? Are you using cal/d3. And also when you say gutloaded crickets you are buying. You need to be gutloading them yourself. Petsmart uses potatoes and flukers and they are not that nutritional. You should be using a variety of fresh vegetable and fruits, dark green leafy veggies are great , kale, collards, romaine etc. apples, oranges, mango carrotts, sweet peppers, squash, to name a few! What type of lighting are you using by the way also?

He does receive D3, and a fluorescent by a large window stays on for 12-14 hours a day. He also has a basking lamp.

Oh and ps I checked the size of his cage cause I was worried.

It is 24x24x36...still small compared to what yall say.

Back
Top Bottom