She died and Idk why

Carlos210

my chameleon was just starting to shed and some npeiple on here gave me some advice to shower her to help her shed whitch helped cause she was havejng to trouble but after that I bought crickets and fed them to her and the same night she died !!! And I went to clean out her stuff and all crickets I bought 3 days ago also died ????

Attachments

• IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 296
Those are house crickets, not banded crickets. Its real easy to wipe them out with the cricket virus in just a view days. Still feeding virus infected crickets would not cause harm to the cham.

What do you mean house crickets I bought them from the store

There are 2 species of feeder crickets. The common house cricket, and the jamaican banded cricket. There is a "cricket virus" that for the last decade or so wiped out over 90% of the feeder house cricket population. To combat this, the breeders switched over to the banded cricket which is somewhat immune to the virus.

There are still placed that breed and sell the house crickets, however once they are out of the facility its a mind field to get them to the house without coming into contact with a facility that has the virus. Your crickets could have been placed next to a carton of banded crickets that had the virus on the box, for example.

Oh okay I didn't know that do you have any suggestions on why she might of died I'm really confused I don't think I did anything wrong she seemed fine the day before she passed she got some of she shedding skin stuck on her leg so I gave her a bath and seemed to help her get out and after that she closed her mouth it was open when she got stuck but after her bath she went on acting normal but when I came home she was dead ???

Oh okay I didn't know that do you have any suggestions on why she might of died I'm really confused I don't think I did anything wrong she seemed fine the day before she passed she got some of she shedding skin stuck on her leg so I gave her a bath and seemed to help her get out and after that she closed her mouth it was open when she got stuck but after her bath she went on acting normal but when I came home she was dead ???

Its possible you did nothing wrong. It could have just been a birth defect that didnt show up till that rapid growth period during shedding. If she had a malformed heart, it could still sustain her just fine at 30 grams but when she hit 35 grams it gave out, for example.

Did you give her a bath or use the shower method? It would help us to know more about your husbandry and routine. Fill out the help form in the health section and post it here. This will give us a better idea of what may or may not be the cause.

This forum, please fill it out with your chameleon's information

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Those plastic bags are meant just for the cricket's transfer. They need a proper place to live with food and water to survive just like any other animal.

I have never seen a cham hang upside down off a branch, before. I'm thinking that what may have happened is that she swallowed something and was choking on it. By hanging upside down with her mouth open, she was trying to get it out. It may have moved just enough that she could still breathe, but when the 2nd cricket came along, she choked completely and passed. I may be wrong, but that is just the impression that I am getting from the pics and your story. I am sorry for your loss. How long did you have her?

I have never seen a cham hang upside down off a branch, before. I'm thinking that what may have happened is that she swallowed something and was choking on it. By hanging upside down with her mouth open, she was trying to get it out. It may have moved just enough that she could still breathe, but when the 2nd cricket came along, she choked completely and passed. I may be wrong, but that is just the impression that I am getting from the pics and your story. I am sorry for your loss. How long did you have her?
Now that I think of it, that is possible. Also, just anything could be blocking her airways. Do you think swelling was a possibility? Almost like a Chameleon Asthma?

I guess It could be possible but I pretty sure she was like that because she had some of her shed stuck on her foot I was thinking she fell but but I wasent too sure she passed the next day I had her only for about week and half @Angelwolf but for future reference what would she of choked on

I guess It could be possible but I pretty sure she was like that because she had some of her shed stuck on her foot I was thinking she fell but but I wasent too sure she passed the next day I had her only for about week and half @Angelwolf but for future reference what would she of choked on

Angelwolf is suggesting that (it was possible) she choked on a cricket

Back
Top Bottom