She Did It!

Miranda

YAY! Fifty one eggs ! !

Are chameleons like ducks are with their eggs? I know when my dad tried to get our ducks eggs out of her cage she went nuts, so we didnt get them in front of her..

Do chameleons care like that? or do they just kinda forget about em?

Im glad thats over!

Not Really

No chameleons dont guard their egg they forget about them really soon and you should take them out of the enclousure for incubation:)

Last edited:
How is the MAMA?

Sounds like she really worked at laying those eggs , from comments you left on another thread. Be sure to give her food, supplements, water and basking spot . She should bounce back nicely.

Chameleon are irresponsible parent. Once they laid eggs...they just left without bidding goodbyes. Now to setup an incubation chamber.... get a shoe box size tupperware.... place about 1 - 1.5 Inch thick moist vermiculite or perlite... place the eggs half buried in it. Then, weigh the whole container and record the weight. Then weigh the container every month and try to add in water if the weigh goes down. They should hatch in about 6 - 8 months time depends on incubation temperature. They should be incubated in between 70 - 80'F and store in a dark place.

Below is the setup for my eggs:
IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Congrats Miranda. WOW ... 51 eggs. :eek: I got a mere 26 ... but I think that my female may be going to lay another clutch in a couple weeks. At least you didn't have to wait 6 or 7 days! ;)

DUCKS ... That's funny! A lady at work asked me if chameleons sit on their eggs like chickens do!! LOLOL

Hope your female and eggs all do very well.

Dyesub Dave. :D

How do I know if she got all her eggs out? Will she need to lay again?

None of these need incubation, she was never paired with a male! So sadly, no little Chamilles for me :(.

Thanks for the information tho !!

Shes doing well, I havnt seen her drink though, but her dripper has been goin pretty much all day. Shes eating alot though

Oh yeah .... I think you mentioned in your other thread that there wasn't a male involved. That's too bad. You'll just have to wait until somebody on the forum has babies and rejoice with them. LOLOL

Sorry but I don't have an answer to your other question about eggs. I would think that she would drop them all at once or else she'd still be in the hole trying to lay them. But I'm certainly no expert so you may want more opinions on this.

Glad to hear she's doing well. Maybe you could borrow a male from a friend so next time you can get some fertilised eggs. :)

Dyesub Dave. :D

A chameleon should/is supposed to drop all the eggs at once. However, sometimes they retain eggs and the only way to be sure is to have an x-ray done.

If they retain eggs, they will likely show signs of it...lethargy, won't eat, sit at the bottom of the cage, sunken eyes, etc.

She will likely lay more eggs if you keep her under the same conditions that you have so far. It could be in a month or two it could be longer.

51 eggs is quite a big clutch...more than the size of a clutch in the wild is reported to be. I would rather see my chameleons lay clutches in the area of 2 dozen because I think it means that they will live longer.

When my female veileds lay eggs, I feed them well for a couple of days until they get their strength back and then I cut them back slightly. I also keep the temperature a couple of degrees lower on them. (I don't starve them by any means.) Once I know that the female is working on another clutch, then I increase her diet somewhat again. Doing this seems to keep the clutches smaller (and the infertile clutches can even be prevented completely when this is done right)...and my females usually live to be 6 or so years old.

Please note...this diet/temperature control does not prevent all species from laying eggs.

Re: the females interest in the eggs after they are laid...I have seldom seen one show any interest in the eggs after they are buried to the chameleon's satisfaction and she has returned to the branches.

Back
Top Bottom