Shaking legs.

Wow ok now I’m a bit worried. I read up on stuff like this but never found specifics so I’m here for the experts to help. So my little guy Randall usually shakes is little legs when he’s grabbing onto something or climbing. He can still run around fast when angry or scared. I dust him with calcium (no D3) 3 times a week. So idk if I should add more of that..

thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 115
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, I don’t know exactly the age, we didn’t get him newborn.

◦ Handling - I really only handle him when I need to clean his cage. He’s really grumpy.

◦ Feeding - crickets, waxworms, And hornworms. About 7 crickets each day, unless I feed him more horn worms. I feed him about 3 horn worms with 5 crickets, and waxworms only 4 whenever I don’t have hornworms. Always feed him at 3-5 never later, depending when I get home. We feed them greens in their cage for them to eat, and some fruit. (NO CITRUS)

◦ Supplements - I believe it’s called repti calcium without D3 3 times every week, the reptivite multivitamin once a month, and rep-cal with vitamine D3 two times a month. (If there is an issue with this please let me know!)

◦ Watering - I spray the little guy with my own spray. I’ll put reptisafe in the water just in case. I always mist in the morning when he wakes up, and when I get home, right before he eats. Recently I haven’t been with him for a while, but I have seen him drink.

◦ Fecal Description - Urate is usually a good color, but sometimes I’ll spot some yellow ones, and the poop right now is in a good shape with that gooey sack that is around it. (The poop is solid)

◦ History - Not that I know any issues he’s had. He did fall today... but then he ran all the way up. And it wasn’t a big fall. He just tipped over a cup.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Screen cage, I use the chameleon kit one (I know it’s not good) being 16x16x30.

◦ Lighting - Long UVB bulb for him, and for the basking bulb I use an ecosmart 100W. I saw it was good to use. Lights on at 6:00 AM and Lights off at 6:00 PM 12 hours for him.

◦ Temperature - Temperature for the bottom is around 75°Fwhile the basking spot is around 85°F. Lowest overnight temp ever was like 60 but that was in winter, now it’s around low 70’s. I measure these Temps with separate thermometers, one on top next to the basking spot and on at the bottom.

◦ Humidity - Usually keep it around 60, but now it’s around mid 50’s :/... Usually the spray droplets dissolve and make it more humid since the cage is closed off in some parts, and Florida weather is always humid. I use a hygrometer, that comes with one of the thermometers.

◦ Plants - Fake and live plants, mostly fake, but there are moss vines, and I believe Pothos. (Forgot the name of the plants..)

◦ Placement - It is located in my room. It’s near a vent I never turn on, but there is a AC unit near him, but it doesn’t hit him. There Are small bookshelves below it that keep the cage up, it is not close to the floor.

◦ Location - Florida.

Current Problem - His legs shake when he tries to grab on to something and I want to know how to help

I’ll include pictures of the thermostats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 132
Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, I don’t know exactly the age, we didn’t get him newborn.

◦ Handling - I really only handle him when I need to clean his cage. He’s really grumpy.

◦ Feeding - crickets, waxworms, And hornworms. About 7 crickets each day, unless I feed him more horn worms. I feed him about 3 horn worms with 5 crickets, and waxworms only 4 whenever I don’t have hornworms. Always feed him at 3-5 never later, depending when I get home. We feed them greens in their cage for them to eat, and some fruit. (NO CITRUS)

◦ Supplements - I believe it’s called repti calcium without D3 3 times every week, the reptivite multivitamin once a month, and rep-cal with vitamine D3 two times a month. (If there is an issue with this please let me know!)

◦ Watering - I spray the little guy with my own spray. I’ll put reptisafe in the water just in case. I always mist in the morning when he wakes up, and when I get home, right before he eats. Recently I haven’t been with him for a while, but I have seen him drink.

◦ Fecal Description - Urate is usually a good color, but sometimes I’ll spot some yellow ones, and the poop right now is in a good shape with that gooey sack that is around it. (The poop is solid)

◦ History - Not that I know any issues he’s had. He did fall today... but then he ran all the way up. And it wasn’t a big fall. He just tipped over a cup.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Screen cage, I use the chameleon kit one (I know it’s not good) being 16x16x30.

◦ Lighting - Long UVB bulb for him, and for the basking bulb I use an ecosmart 100W. I saw it was good to use. Lights on at 6:00 AM and Lights off at 6:00 PM 12 hours for him.

◦ Temperature - Temperature for the bottom is around 75°Fwhile the basking spot is around 85°F. Lowest overnight temp ever was like 60 but that was in winter, now it’s around low 70’s. I measure these Temps with separate thermometers, one on top next to the basking spot and on at the bottom.

◦ Humidity - Usually keep it around 60, but now it’s around mid 50’s :/... Usually the spray droplets dissolve and make it more humid since the cage is closed off in some parts, and Florida weather is always humid. I use a hygrometer, that comes with one of the thermometers.

◦ Plants - Fake and live plants, mostly fake, but there are moss vines, and I believe Pothos. (Forgot the name of the plants..)

◦ Placement - It is located in my room. It’s near a vent I never turn on, but there is a AC unit near him, but it doesn’t hit him. There Are small bookshelves below it that keep the cage up, it is not close to the floor.

◦ Location - Florida.

Current Problem - His legs shake when he tries to grab on to something and I want to know how to help

I’ll include pictures of the thermostats.

1. Hornworms are a treat. You're feeding way too many of them, plus, they are very expensive (around $10 for 4 on my area), so other feeders would be less expensive and more nutritious. Try dubia roaches and superworms every few days. Also, you are feeding way too many waxworms. The best number of waxworms to feed your cham is 0. They are very fatty feeders.

2. Almost all of your feeders, every day, should be dusted in the calcium without d3. Not just 3 times a week.

3. Is your chameleon an adult, or is he young? If he is an adult, this cage is very small. He needs a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft. If he is a juvenile your cage is fine. If you don't know if he is an adult, post pics of him.

Also, don't worry about the drop at night. It is actually beneficial to them.

No, i have seen him do that, but the issue Im talking about is his little legs just shake when reaching for something.
Can he hold on to branches well? If you are holding him, can you flip him upside down without him falling? If you can't, you got an issue.

Can he hold on to branches well? If you are holding him, can you flip him upside down without him falling? If you can't, you got an issue.
Yes he can hold on to branches. I haven’t been able to handle him, but when I handled him to clean his cage he went below my elbow.

Is the shaking every step or just when he can’t find somewhere to grab with his foot? My Veiled looks a little shaky at times when he’s reaching with a back leg and can’t find something to grab right away, is this what your referring to?

I see your only giving multivitamin once a month, I would start doing it twice a month. He may have a slight vitamin deficiency.

Is the shaking every step or just when he can’t find somewhere to grab with his foot? My Veiled looks a little shaky at times when he’s reaching with a back leg and can’t find something to grab right away, is this what your referring to?

I see your only giving multivitamin once a month, I would start doing it twice a month. He may have a slight vitamin deficiency.
Oh ok! Multivitamin and the D3 twice a month? Alrighty!

also yes and yes XD. He usually shakes his legs trying to reach for something, but same with his back legs when he can’t find it. But even when he knows where to go they shake.

Oh ok! Multivitamin and the D3 twice a month? Alrighty!

also yes and yes XD. He usually shakes his legs trying to reach for something, but same with his back legs when he can’t find it. But even when he knows where to go they shake.
You can try this routine on weeks 1&3 feed calcium with D3 and weeks 2&4 feed multivitamins along with your regular daily calcium dusting.

Back
Top Bottom