Shaking abnormal?

SeaDragon

My veiled has started "twitching" recently. Sometimes his head is a little shaky, but its hardly noticable. Whenever he lifts his foot and pauses its shaky and somewhat twitchy. Could these just be bizarre leaf imitations? Nothing in his enviornment has changed, however i live in houston where ike hit and he was without crickets for 2 days (he wouldn't touch worms). He still has a strong grip, and moves around normally. Do these seem like warning signs of a more serious problem?

LEts not jump to MBD so quick without seeing his settings first, and pics of the cham at hand.

it could be MBD.

for lighting i have a 75 wt uv/heating source. as for supplements, i gutload the crickets with a calcium drink made by zilla brand, along with a cal/vit d dusting maybe once or twice a week. After watching him i noticed he mainly "shakes" when i take him out; it seems simular to the way small dogs shake. Im wondering if maybe it was all the stress from the past from weeks, seeing as how this is the first time i've seen him do this. I'll try to post some pics/ video

i have a corn snake and iguana on the other side of my room, but they all ignore each other. Im not even sure he knows they exist :p

hi Seadragon,
you need a uvb light in addition to your uva heat lamp.
The absence of that light in your setup might be the reason why the chameleon is shaking.

With the light absent and without any access to real sunlight along with inadequate supplementation, your chameleon shaking could very well be connected with the case of NSHP (nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism).

or in layman term MBD.

Is it possible to take a pic of your chameleon and post it here?
here is a recommended uvb lamp for veiled chameleon:
p_231183_23516DZIO.jpg

Sounds like you need to take your chameleon to the vet. If your shaking is in fact tremors then he is in pretty bad shape. In case of MBD this happens when calcium levels in the plasma drop low. This leads to irradict electrical impulses causing twitching. It occurs all over the body but is most noticable in the smaller extremities. If it is in fact at that point the body has already thinned the bones to try and keep the calcium level normal. You really need medication.

Chameleons don't shake in fear and they do not shake to keep warm so why the chameleon is shaking is very limited. All that I can think of are nutritional. A well versed vet can get to the bottom of it pretty quick.

It would probably be best if you reevaluated your husbandry so far. These forums are good for that.

Back
Top Bottom