Sexually Matured Veiled/Egg Laying

monram

Hi,

I've had my female veiled for about 3 months now and the past few days she is showing extremely bright colors with a tint of blue. I've heard this means she is sexually mature, but does this mean she could lay infertile eggs now or does she still have some time? I have a Reptibreeze small cage and just assembled my extra large one, so I could fit in my laying bin. I haven't transferred her over yet because I'm waiting for vines to come in since the new cage is HUGEE and needs a big plant to go in there too. Her appetite is very good, which I thought might decrease when she's ready to lay eggs? Just curious if I still have time to transfer her over and if these colors mean she's ready to lay eggs. OH. Also, weird thing. When I come by to spray her with water, every single time she'll walk towards where the cage door opens and want to get out. If I put my hand there she comes right out and is way more active than she was before. If I don't she kind of claws at the door even once I'm done spraying her. Not sure if anyone has experienced this also, but she has been doing this ever since she's shown her brighter colors.

IMG_2713.JPG

Care Info:
* Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon. Could be 6 months? She has been in my care for about 2 months.
* Handling - About once every other day, I'll leave the cage open sometimes and she'll walk on my hand or floor for about 10 minutes and then I put her back.
* Feeding - I feed her about 5 crickets a day and recently have been feeding her 1-2 Superworms. I gutload crickets with kale. I feed her in the morning before I leave for class
* Supplements - I sprinkle Repticalcium without D3 on her crickets every day and Reptivite every other Sunday.
* Watering - I spray water with Reptisafe on the leaves any time I see some has evaporated or it seems a bit dry. Also have a dripper made with a water bottle with a hole in the cap in case it gets too dry.
* Fecal Description - Urate is white while bowel movements are brown. Poops normally daily.
* HISTORY - Got her from petsmart and thought she was a boy and a year old

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Zoo Med Starter Kit. Screen cage. XL cage upgrade
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 100 Watt ZooMed Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb for heat. Turn on lights around 7:30 am but she's usually awake by then and turned off around 7-8 pm (whenever she is curled up)
* Temperature - Basking spot is around 85 F and cage floor is around 79 F. Lowest overnight temp is about 72 F. I have a digital thermometer that came with starter kit.
* Humidity - Around 40-50.
* Plants - No live plants yet, but fake ones from the pet store. Planning on getting a real one soon.
* Placement - My cage is in living room on a stool to give it some height.
* Location - Arizona

She is beautiful! My girl recently developed these adult colors too. Everything I've read on here says to lower their temps a bit and feed them less - such as every other day - because it helps decrease egg production. She looks as though she may be gravid, but she's also squishing herself up so without a picture from the top it's hard to be sure. Either way, I'd get her transferred over so she has access to the laying bin.

No no no starving them and keeping them cool is an absolute no no! Youre depriving a female of what she needs right when she needs it if you do that. It is an internet myth and it needs to stop. it doesn't decrease egg production in the way you hope it does. It simply deprives her of the nutrients she needs and guess what happens next? The nutrients get pulled from other areas of her body in order for nature to takes its course. I have been keeping and breeding chameleons for 15 years and this new myth just blows my mind. It makes no sense.

First off, I never said to starve her. I was told by many on here to feed adults every other day, and she gets as much as she needs to eat during those feedings. Second, I didn't say to drop her temps down to the 50s. I said to lower them a bit. I don't doubt that you have loved and raised many healthy Chams, but this has worked for many on here and it works for my girl as well. She isn't nutrient deprived. She's healthy as a horse, thanks to the help I've recieved from experts on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom