Sexing a juvenile Veiled chameleon

Jmedrano

Hi! Very new to the forums, and I’ve had my baby since around the second week of June from petco. I never really took the advice from petco employees especially when they said to use my fingers to feel above the anus and feel small ball like things or whatnot,, ya noooo?
I’m aware of the tarsal Spurs identification Im just having a really hard time. Let me know if I need to get more/ better/ or specific pictures!!

Attachments

• 50776560-45AB-45CD-883F-4D1590485D76.jpeg
    50776560-45AB-45CD-883F-4D1590485D76.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 8074D066-4361-41ED-975B-CAAB835C180C.png
    8074D066-4361-41ED-975B-CAAB835C180C.png
    812.8 KB · Views: 133
So Godzilla is getting all ready for bed andright now...I’m not sure these pictures will suffice it is a kinda awkward position ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 111
Omg okay! Zilla is sleeping right now but I'll definitely be on the lookout tomorrow morning and take better pictures so we can know for sure!! Thank you so much you are awesome!! ill post updates tomorrow!

You said..."especially when they said to use my fingers to feel above the anus and feel small ball like things or whatnot"...glad you didn't fall for that.

Look on the BACK of the heels for the tarsal spurs....like @MissSkittles showed you.

Okay hello friends!! I really can’t see any real prominent Spurs... and we got ourselves a nice little booty shot moment in these pictures ? Also we had a shed last night and there seems to be this residue- like flakes? Not entirely sure what’s going on there

Attachments

• 3CE7ABA4-AA43-4855-A915-F41140609973.jpeg
    3CE7ABA4-AA43-4855-A915-F41140609973.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 95
  • FE067F76-F090-4A3F-B16B-650299A5AE4E.jpeg
    FE067F76-F090-4A3F-B16B-650299A5AE4E.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 102
  • A74620F4-6F9C-4EE5-8975-6739FA1E5B6D.jpeg
    A74620F4-6F9C-4EE5-8975-6739FA1E5B6D.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 94
Okay hello friends!! I really can’t see any real prominent Spurs... and we got ourselves a nice little booty shot moment in these pictures ? Also we had a shed last night and there seems to be this residue- like flakes? Not entirely sure what’s going on there
Sometimes females have little spurs but with males they are much more pronounced.

Female. Start reading up on lay bins. They lay infertile eggs like chickens.

They can easily prevented from
Doing so through oroper care
They lay infertile eggs mostly when overheated and overfed
Yes, I have a very good friend that has females and she has taught me quite a bit about lower basking temps and reduced food intake to help control clutch size... but they can still lay eggs even with perfect temps and correct feeding.

@Jmedrano While your sweet little girl is still young, she will grow fast and before you know it, she’ll be showing off her pretty colors and become very restless. This can happen as young as 5-6 months old. Once she reaches this point, you’ll want to start cutting back on her feedings. Giving maybe about 4-5 feeders every other day. This is also the time to prepare her lay bin. Get a container that is approx 10x10x10” and fill to 6-8” deep with washed play sand. You may want to drill a few tiny holes in the bottom for drainage. The sand needs to be kept moist enough to form a tunnel without collapsing. They don’t really dig straight down, but go at an angle so keep that in mind. If you want, you can add a little organic soil and put a plant in. They do like to lay against root balls. You will be keeping the lay bin as a permanent part of her enclosure to avoid guessing when she needs it. Anywhere from a few weeks on she will start gaining weight and may look lumpy. When she is ready to lay, she’ll find her bin. Once you see she has started digging, cover the visible sides with a light sheet and give her privacy. You could cut a few peek holes in the sheet to monitor her. My ladies have taken 1-2 days from start to finish. When she is done, she’ll have covered her hole and be on her basking branch looking dirty and thinner. Feed and hydrate her well for a few days and then cut back her feedings again. I give my ladies 3 feeders 3 days a week...plus a few small treats here and there. Keep your temps no higher than 80*.
While I’m still working it all out myself, both of my ladies laid back in Feb & March, receptive again in April/May...have not laid again and are seeming to be a bit receptive again, although not as strongly as previously. Either they have conspired to puzzle me or my efforts to reduce laying have been successful. :)

Back
Top Bottom