Sex of new veiled chameleon

Cerown75

I believe I purchased a female bit I want to be sure. The breeder told me the spurs come in later, but everything I'm reading said I should notice them already. I posted the best pics of he or she's color and back of back feet I could get. What do yall think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220714-134938_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-134938_Gallery.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20220714-134954_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-134954_Gallery.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220714-135023_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-135023_Gallery.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220714-135038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-135038_Gallery.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20220714-134915_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-134915_Gallery.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 76
This is a female. Spurs show straight out of the egg... They are tiny but there if they are male... Not sure why your breeder would tell you anything different.
Well I against my better judgement bought from big pet chain store. I specifically told them I wanted a male and the lady said the bump is mall but it will get bigger. I took her word but as hard as I look I can't find a bump let alone a spur.

Well I against my better judgement bought from big pet chain store. I specifically told them I wanted a male and the lady said the bump is mall but it will get bigger. I took her word but as hard as I look I can't find a bump let alone a spur.
Yeah... most sales people that work there do not know a dang thing. Sorry... It is just their job to attempt to keep the animals alive and sell them with the items they have in stock. Most often this results in the wrong things being purchased as well.

But you do have a pretty little girl. husbandry is basically the same except for a few things...

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Let us know if you would like us to review your husbandry and enclosure and I will get you the form to fill out.

laybin graphic.jpg

Yeah... most sales people that work there do not know a dang thing. Sorry... It is just their job to attempt to keep the animals alive and sell them with the items they have in stock. Most often this results in the wrong things being purchased as well.

But you do have a pretty little girl. husbandry is basically the same except for a few things...

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Let us know if you would like us to review your husbandry and enclosure and I will get you the form to fill out.

View attachment 326611
I've only had her 3 days and I called the store back and they are going to take her back. I am not ready for a female yet. Any suggestions on where to find a healthy one from reputable breeder?

I've only had her 3 days and I called the store back and they are going to take her back. I am not ready for a female yet. Any suggestions on where to find a healthy one from reputable breeder?
So if you return her and get another. You now have had a chameleon that could have had parasites. They expel the eggs of the parasites in the fecal. So the cage is contaminated meaning another chameleon can lick that spot and start the cycle in their body. So you will need to clean the cage really well before putting another in there. This ensures your not transferring anything to another chameleon.

I know framschams breeds veileds but I do not know what they have in stock right now.

Just to make sure your doing research in the right place... read the stuff on this link only or ask us in the forum. No google searches. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Chameleons are expensive and very sensitive so husbandry needs to be on point to avoid issues. Also just in case you are not familiar with them they are not always very personable. Veileds are notorious for hating their owners and being quite aggressive.

So if you return her and get another. You now have had a chameleon that could have had parasites. They expel the eggs of the parasites in the fecal. So the cage is contaminated meaning another chameleon can lick that spot and start the cycle in their body. So you will need to clean the cage really well before putting another in there. This ensures your not transferring anything to another chameleon.

I know framschams breeds veileds but I do not know what they have in stock right now.

Just to make sure your doing research in the right place... read the stuff on this link only or ask us in the forum. No google searches. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Chameleons are expensive and very sensitive so husbandry needs to be on point to avoid issues. Also just in case you are not familiar with them they are not always very personable. Veileds are notorious for hating their owners and being quite aggressive.
I actually built a much larger cage for her but have yet to put her in it. It's probably 4feet tall 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. And I didn't know about the parasite issue in fecal matter so thank you a ton. She is a cool little girl though. In the cage she says dark dark green but the second you get her out she turns bright green. Thank you for the advise.

I actually built a much larger cage for her but have yet to put her in it. It's probably 4feet tall 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. And I didn't know about the parasite issue in fecal matter so thank you a ton. She is a cool little girl though. In the cage she says dark dark green but the second you get her out she turns bright green. Thank you for the advise.
I will say females can be more mellow than males... Males have their own issues.. Sperm plugs etc. So while females will lay eggs with reduced feeding amounts and controlled temps this reduces clutch size. Making eggbinding far less of an issue. If husbandry is on point the chance of egg binding issues is really low. But it is your choice and I do not want to make you feel bad in any way. I just want you to know that males can be mean little brats as they mature.

I just purchased one off marks chameleons online. He had a FB page and alot of good reviews. Anyone had any dealings with him? The other website you suggested didn't have any veileds.

I just purchased one off marks chameleons online. He had a FB page and alot of good reviews. Anyone had any dealings with him? The other website you suggested didn't have any veileds.
I do not have personal experience but I have not heard anything negative within the forum about him.

Back
Top Bottom