Setup help and seeking advice

Highly Impressed with your willingness to change almost everything for your lizards wellbeing, Nice work! :)

thank you I'm gonna get some plants after work today Ill post some new picks of her home after ps I ike your sig jojackson

thank you I'm gonna get some plants after work today Ill post some new picks of her home after ps I ike your sig jojackson

Well done for moving fast and changing her setup, some people come on ask for help then either come out with excuses or not bother doing anything so hats off to you. I'm sure with loving caring owner like yourself and a couple of more changes she will live a long happy life. :D

Kudos to you memknock!!! It is a breathe of fresh air to see someone come on here, ask for help and advice, and then FOLLOW it!!! What we like to see and what we are here for! We all share a love for chameleons and want nothing better than to see them go to good homes and be treated with the proper care for a healthy and happy life! You have a lucky chameleon!!!!.

I just wanna say thank you all for helping me get her more comfortable and leading me in the right direction...I'm still at work but I'm going to get some plants for her but how would I go about planting them since I'm gonna remove the repti bark since I dont want it to hurt her? And gonna get some plastic sides to make to keep the humidity in. I know I'm spoiling her but that's my girl :)

I just wanna say thank you all for helping me get her more comfortable and leading me in the right direction...I'm still at work but I'm going to get some plants for her but how would I go about planting them since I'm gonna remove the repti bark since I dont want it to hurt her? And gonna get some plastic sides to make to keep the humidity in. I know I'm spoiling her but that's my girl :)

If you don't spoil her then who will? :p Do you know what plants to get? Just leave them in the pots make sure you give them a good wash with soppy water.

Hey Memknock, I just wanted to congratulate you on buying the right setup for your pet. As you mentioned earlier in the thread, you were willing to reach out for help and learn in order to set up a better habitat for you Cham. Kudos to you :)

Dreamforthedead I'm goin to go grab some pothos and ficus for her I was gonna buy 'em yesturday but the nursury was closed whe I got off work lucky there open today and its my day off. This place sells all natural no chemical treated biodegradble pots and planets that should be good right? I called to make sure they had'em in yesturday and they do.:D

awsome...keep it up

you will begin to love your little girl if not already

my first cham was a female jax, ...good times, take alot of pics for us to see!!!:D

Ok so now here is her new setup I bought 2 ficus but only 1 fits strung up vines and set the lights and temps also replanted the plants with organic soil not treated with chemicals , I really dont know about her picture hopfully not to much stress on her but any suggestions I'm open too

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 118
Do some online research. There is some great lists and instructions people have created all over the internet explaining exactly what you need for the cham. Good luck man!

Ok so now here is her new setup I bought 2 ficus but only 1 fits strung up vines and set the lights and temps also replanted the plants with organic soil not treated with chemicals , I really dont know about her picture hopfully not to much stress on her but any suggestions I'm open too

I think your cage is looking really good! Escellent job in getting your little one set up properly. She should settle in just fine.

Do some online research. There is some great lists and instructions people have created all over the internet explaining exactly what you need for the cham. Good luck man!

Internet searches often yield incorrect info-you are in the best place to get solid help.

[QUOTEInternet searches often yield incorrect info-you are in the best place to get solid help.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I came here :D

Know this is what it's all about. I just read this entire post and Julirs you basically just saved this chameleons life. Memknock6699 I'm glad you came to this forum. You will find everything you need here and has you can tell people are more then willing to help. Good luck with your girl I'm sure she will settle in nice

I am very impressed you came here, asked questions, took the advice and quickly made changes that will no doubt make your new girl healthier and happier.

Good Job!

Wow! I am just in awe...

I'm new to this forum and community, but hardly new to reptiles or Chams, so I was fully prepared to see the OP get "reamed a new one" with the first post. I am very, very impressed with the responses.

And absolutely, memknock6699, exponential kudos to you for coming here for help ..and correcting everything so quickly and thoroughly! :)

Kudos to you for making all the changes you've made so far!

Do you have a UVB light on the cage? (See below for information about UVB).

Here's some information I usually post for people who are just getting into chameleons...
Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/

Back
Top Bottom