Setup for newborn jackson chameleon

Raya.

Hi ! I just wanted to know if this set up is okay for my baby chameleons? Im not 100% sure if i should keep the basking light on or just the uvb. Also, is it normal for them to want to hang out at the top like that ? (The bowl of fruits is to keep the fruitflies in there active)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
they will rub their eyes on it and then it can really irritate them you also need a t5 linear HO uvb bulb what is your cage size?

I have a 12x18x12 size cage & i have a “reptisun 5.0 uvb lamp”
I only have one light stand at the moment until i receive the other in the mail so i put the heat lamp on the stand. Is that okay for now ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 66
So first things first I would fill out this form

please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@JacksJill

Please can you fill out the form above? Then jacksjill who has tons of experience with Jackson’s baby’s can really lay it all out for you on the care this baby needs. I have a Jackson’s Cham as well but he’s not a baby. Congrats by the way! He’s absolutely adorable!

Last edited:
Also what is the temp where that baby is hanging out? You have to be so careful with screen climbing babies because they will get burned! They don’t realize it’s too hot. I would turn the light off for the night and wait for jacksjill to advise you. They don’t need a heat light at night because temps get down below 50 degree where they live in the wild.

Here are some good podcasts
The UVB lighting may not work for them.The compact bulbs depending on what you got either over produce UVB or underproduce it. Solarmeter 6.5 would be needed to know what the level is at the branch. Either a T8 or a T5 fixture and depending on the bulb strength it would be a specific distance needed. If you buy one of these and tell me what it is you bought and what bulb strength I can give you the distance for the UVB to put them in the correct UVI level.

Back
Top Bottom