Set up Mistking v5?

cruz.m

Avid Member
I need help, my mist king FINALLY came. We had some problems with shipping and it came late blah blah. Anyways I opened it and I saw there was no instructions book. I checked the one they have but it’s for a different mist king and it doesn’t include how to set up the filter and the updated stuff. I got everything down but the filter and some other pieces. (Picture bellow) There’s also no video that I found on how to do it, with the v5 I saw the v4 but it doesn’t include the filter etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 148
Filter hooks to bulkhead with a small piece of ro tubing.
Clips/screws are to attach the tubing to the side of the cage, if you want to negate the water line slapping / vibration
Other pieces are probably just extra , depending on how you set it up
(The one that looks like a "T" is a plug in case you want/need to seal off a fitting )

Clips/screws are to attach the tubing to the side of the cage, if you want to negate the water line slapping / vibration
(The one that looks like a "T" is a plug in case you want/need to seal off a fitting )
I was thinking that, but I didn’t want to do it in case I was wrong (filter part) Thank you so much! Now I think these are for the nozzles or something (I have the two nozzle instead of the one) I just need to know where these go or what they’re for and I’m good!

Attachments

• 7E98E96D-187A-4249-A81B-E2C15D531690.jpeg
    7E98E96D-187A-4249-A81B-E2C15D531690.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 79
Those are 90 degree fittings. The fat end gets the ro line, and the other end fits into your spray head fitting (the stem is the same diameter as ro tubing)

Yeah, they only have the v4 version. I thought that maybe I misplaced it or it was somewhere in one of the packets but I checked EVERYWHERE and I came up with nothing. So this is my last hope.
I just got the same one and none in mine either

Interesting, there was a set in mine (v5).
Have not looked in the latest one I bought to see if there is a set in it also though.
Instructions are available on their website

Interesting, there was a set in mine (v5).
Have not looked in the latest one I bought to see if there is a set in it though.
Instructions are available on their website
I read through the whole thing but they only have the v4 instruction manual and it’s missing a few things for the v5
Were you able to set it up?

I read through the whole thing but they only have the v4 instruction manual and it’s missing a few things for the v5

Were you able to set it up?
Well...yes, eventually. I actually printed out the entire manual and went through a bunch of Youtube tutorials. It did not reference the white filter but that just connects to the fitting on the inside of the bucket. Bucket itself was the big problem, impossible not to have it leak so ended up siliconing it in and that finally worked.

I just assumed there was no manual as a cost cutting measure, but I think some of us more mechanically challenged would appreciate the option of one even if we have to pay extra!

Well...yes, eventually. I actually printed out the entire manual and went through a bunch of Youtube tutorials. It did not reference the white filter but that just connects to the fitting on the inside of the bucket. Bucket itself was the big problem, impossible not to have it leak so ended up siliconing it in and that finally worked.

I just assumed there was no manual as a cost cutting measure, but I think some of us more mechanically challenged would appreciate the option of one even if we have to pay extra!
It’s late so I plan on setting it up fully tomorrow but how do you test it? The o-ring goes on the outside right?

It’s late so I plan on setting it up fully tomorrow but how do you test it? The o-ring goes on the outside right?
I don't remember do look online for that. For the bucket fill with water and sit it beside your sink. Loop the tubing back into the bucket then see if it leaks from the bulkhead. Good luck!

Tbh, I didn't even check the instructions when I installed the bulkheads. I just did what I always do on my saltwater tanks, put the o-ring on the inside of the reservoir, and the nut on the outside. I think someone on here posted that MK says to put the o-ring on the outside though. Fwiw, none of them that I have installed has ever leaked.
As far as testing, I put a shutoff valve on the tubing leading from the bucket and set it on a milk crate in the basement.
I cannot remember if they come with a shutoff valve or not, but I would suggest putting one on the reservoir line before the pump. Makes things much easier if you have to move a partially filled reservoir for some reason.

Mine is coming in today., I wonder if it will have instructions.
It's pretty straightforward. Install the bulkhead, a section of ro tubing from the reservoir to the pump, and your water line from the pump to the misting head.
Key points among the way-
-If using a plastic container (like most of us are), try to drill the hole on the flattest part of the container. The flatter, the less of a chance of leakage.
make the hole as clean as possible. A stepped drill bit works extremely well for this if you have one. If you do not, just take your time. I seem to have better luck working my way up to the final hole size as opposed to just drilling the final hole size from the beginning. Either way, once finished, clean up the hole and remove any plastic burrs so the hole is as smooth as possible.
Regarding the supplied filter, it's attached to the side of the bulkhead inside the reservoir with a piece of ro tubing. If you use it, try to have the filter mounted so it's parallel to the bottom of the reservoir. If you drill the bulkhead through the side, just a piece of tubing will work. If you drill through the bottom, you probably will want to put a 90 between the bulkhead and the fitting. Use a piece of tubing long enough so you can easily remove the filter when it starts to clog (and it WILL clog. In a few weeks, when you notice your mist isn't as strong as it used to be, most likely it will be because of the clogged filter.) The filter also unscrews from the fitting base, if that is an easier way for you to remove it.
-It is best to have the pump BELOW the bottom of the reservoir. (Think of the water draining into the pump). This will make it much easier to get the pump primed initially.
-Be sure to follow the arrow on the pump pertaining to the direction of the water through the pump. If installed backwards, the pump will be trying to push air from the mister line into the reservoir.
-Avoid any sharp bends in the tubing. If the turn is too sharp, cut the line and install a 90° fitting.
-Remove the plastic cover from the misting head ONCE INSTALLED into the cage. They produce an extremely fine mist, and accidentally bumping/dropping the nozzle will pretty much ruin it . They take the time to put those protective covers on the heads for a reason! :)
-Make sure any tubing is FULLY pushed it the the fittings! When you have the tubing inserted into the fitting, give a very hard push. The tube should push in around another quarter inch, and yes, most of the time it will feel like you are pushing too hard. But you're not.
Once up and running, the pump has a lot of pressure that creates vibration in the water line. Depending on your setup, it may be "slapping " the side of your cage. This can be corrected by fastening the line down. You can use the supplied tubing clips for this. But to use the clips, you have to drill into the cage frame to atach the clips with the supplied screws. I have used miniature (the smallest they make) Command hooks in the past with success. Attach the hooks to the frame of the cage, and use 4" zip ties to attach the ro tubing to the hooks. Though not as effective as the supplied clips, it doesn't require any drilling. (I have Reptibreeze cages. On other styles of enclosures, YMMV.)
One of the few beefs I have with MK is the timers. They are pretty rudimentary. It's a slow process to set them up, and to make changes to your misting schedule. The instructions provided online are pretty easy to follow. They do not automatically correct for DST. And i wish there was a "countdown" mode to manually mist, instead of having to stand there and hold the override button down. Gets pretty boting after about 30 seconds. However, they will hold the time and your program if you lose power or unplug the unit for a time. Not sure just how long that time frame is though.
Hope this helps. Good luck and don't be intimidated!

Last edited:
It's pretty straightforward. Install the bulkhead, a section of ro tubing from the reservoir to the pump, and your water line from the pump to the misting head.
Key points among the way-
-If using a plastic container (like most of us are), try to drill the hole on the flattest part of the container. The flatter, the less of a chance of leakage.
make the hole as clean as possible. A stepped drill bit works extremely well for this if you have one. If you do not, just take your time. I seem to have better luck working my way up to the final hole size as opposed to just drilling the final hole size from the beginning. Either way, once finished, clean up the hole and remove any plastic burrs so the hole is as smooth as possible.
Regarding the supplied filter, it's attached to the side of the bulkhead inside the reservoir with a piece of ro tubing. If you use it, try to have the filter mounted so it's parallel to the bottom of the reservoir. If you drill the bulkhead through the side, just a piece of tubing will work. If you drill through the bottom, you probably will want to put a 90 between the bulkhead and the fitting. Use a piece of tubing long enough so you can easily remove the filter when it starts to clog (and it WILL clog. In a few weeks, when you notice your mist isn't as strong as it used to be, most likely it will be because of the clogged filter.) The filter also unscrews from the fitting base, if that is an easier way for you to remove it.
-It is best to have the pump BELOW the bottom of the reservoir. (Think of the water draining into the pump). This will make it much easier to get the pump primed initially.
-Be sure to follow the arrow on the pump pertaining to the direction of the water through the pump. If installed backwards, the pump will be trying to push air from the mister line into the reservoir.
-Avoid any sharp bends in the tubing. If the turn is too sharp, cut the line and install a 90° fitting.
-Remove the plastic cover from the misting head ONCE INSTALLED into the cage. They produce an extremely fine mist, and accidentally bumping/dropping the nozzle will pretty much ruin it . They take the time to put those protective covers on the heads for a reason! :)
-Make sure any tubing is FULLY pushed it the the fittings! When you have the tubing inserted into the fitting, give a very hard push. The tube should push in around another quarter inch, and yes, most of the time it will feel like you are pushing too hard. But you're not.
Once up and running, the pump has a lot of pressure that creates vibration in the water line. Depending on your setup, it may be "slapping " the side of your cage. This can be corrected by fastening the line down. You can use the supplied tubing clips for this. But to use the clips, you have to drill into the cage frame to atach the clips with the supplied screws. I have used miniature (the smallest they make) Command hooks in the past with success. Attach the hooks to the frame of the cage, and use 4" zip ties to attach the ro tubing to the hooks. Though not as effective as the supplied clips, it doesn't require any drilling. (I have Reptibreeze cages. On other styles of enclosures, YMMV.)
One of the few beefs I have with MK is the timers. They are pretty rudimentary. It's a slow process to set them up, and to make changes to your misting schedule. The instructions provided online are pretty easy to follow. They do not automatically correct for DST. And i wish there was a "countdown" mode to manually mist, instead of having to stand there and hold the override button down. Gets pretty boting after about 30 seconds. However, they will hold the time and your program if you lose power or unplug the unit for a time. Not sure just how long that time frame is though.
Hope this helps. Good luck and don't be intimidated!
Holy Molly the real MVP! Thank you so much for all the info! The mistking arrives today, but my reptibreeze will be later in the week.
Thanks again!

The only difference between v4.0 and v5.0 is the timer, and the instructions for that come separately. The timer that comes with v5.0 is the ST-24, and the instructions for that are on the website. Double check which timer you have, and the instructions are there.
https://www.mistking.com/instructions.html

I think someone on here posted that MK says to put the o-ring on the outside though.
That may have been me. 🤷‍♂️
If you have the metal (chrome-plated) reservoir bulkhead, the O-ring goes on the OUTSIDE.

+1. The shorter, the better. I inserted the tube into the bulkhead all the way, and measured the depth. Then did the same with the filter. Added the 2 lengths, and cut a small piece of tubing 1/16" to 1/8" longer.

Remember to remove the condoms from the mist nozzles; they are only for shipping.

The only difference between v4.0 and v5.0 is the timer, and the instructions for that come separately. The timer that comes with v5.0 is the ST-24, and the instructions for that are on the website. Double check which timer you have, and the instructions are there.
https://www.mistking.com/instructions.html

That may have been me. 🤷‍♂️
If you have the metal (chrome-plated) reservoir bulkhead, the O-ring goes on the OUTSIDE.

+1. The shorter, the better. I inserted the tube into the bulkhead all the way, and measured the depth. Then did the same with the filter. Added the 2 lengths, and cut a small piece of tubing 1/16" to 1/8" longer.

Remember to remove the condoms from the mist nozzles; they are only for shipping.
Does it go like this or just one of them? Actually it doesn’t go like that I just found the other price of the screw, how do I take it out? I’m so dumb 😆
Well I broke it, do they sell replacements for this? It still refuses to come out

Attachments

• 2A163B76-5F9D-4486-9000-BFA25FB13579.jpeg
    2A163B76-5F9D-4486-9000-BFA25FB13579.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 83
  • EA4A7237-25DE-4567-895F-6100D1370DC4.jpeg
    EA4A7237-25DE-4567-895F-6100D1370DC4.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back