Set It Straight

AZweifel

Okay! So, I am new to being cham-ommy and although I've bought books(like legit paperback old school books), found many a google page, and this site as well, I'm still extremely confused and torn on feeding. I have a 3 mo old female panther chameleon.
I thought meal worms were an okay food source for every day. I was wrong.
I thought that since she is a juvenile, it was okay to feet her as much as she was willing to eat. Also, newly, incorrect.
So, I am going to tell you what I have and I need someone(s) to advise me on the best course of action.

I have SMALL superworms, small meal worms, and small crickets. I gutload the crickets, and dust the worms in calcium WITHOUT D3 and also dust them in ReptiVite supplements every single day before I feed her. What do I give her; how often do I give it; and in what quantities?

I do not have immediate access to silk worms, hornworms, or Dubai roaches, though I would have no problem ordering them if those would be better.

I just want what is best for my little girl. She's stolen my heart and I want to take the absolute best care of her that I can. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

The general rule is to avoid feeding mealworms unless you have literally nothing else. A good supplementing schedule is Calcium every day, Calcium w/ D3 every two weeks, vitamins every two weeks. Too much D3 or vitamins will overloadtheir system. Also, you can't overfeed a panther chameleon, especially a baby one, within reason. While panthers do know when to stop eating, over feeding can lead to MBD later on as well as egg problems. How fast you want to grow your cham is up to you, I feed my 5 month old male Veiled 10-15 appropriately sized dubia every day. I also have been experimenting with less common feeder insects, here are some feeders I've used along with more common ones.
Staple
Dubia
Crickets
(Giant) Green Banana Roach (Giant version is expensive)
Red Goblin Roach
Pallid Roach
Turkistan Roach
(Giant) Lobster Roach
Orange Head Roach
Discord Roach
Treat
Hornworm
Super worm
BSFL
Praying Mantis (make sure that it can't strike the cham)
Waxworm
Isopods (Rich in Calcium but hard to digest. Never ever use WC isopods because they retain any toxic substance they ingest inside special pockets)

Here are some websites that I've used, also make sure to check the sponsors list.
Roach Crossing (best selection I've ever seen)
Cape Cod Roaches
Josh's frogs
Dubia Roaches

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom