Sending people to other sites doesn't further discussion here

Parsons were like that for a very long time. I used to post a lot complaining about it. In fact, I think that's part of the reason oldchamkeeper made a caresheet for them. Even now, some parson's breeders will water down the info they give you and never really reveal how they do things. A lot of people are in reptile hobbies just to make some money.
I’ve been thinking about making a care sheet for my willsii but a lot of the care is me constantly monitoring the temps and humidity. Winter is the easiest time to care for them but once summer comes I struggle with keeping the cool since I live in n area that get 110+ summer. If I think about it I’m in this hobby to enjoy good company ppl and just admire how amazing these creatures are. I don’t have a mind for money, I just good at spending it b4 big brother try’s to take it from me 😅

You do a great service to us and the chameleons Bill @DeremensisBlue - I dont think anyone meant any slight to your work.

i do appreciate Jill’s sentiment, though, as I am often weeding through the archives looking for specific information - only to find the answer lies in a broken link from a years past, with no further info or answer.

i think a great practice would be copying some of the useful text, and including the link for further reading / listening / watching. Will everyone put it into practice? Doubtful. Will I make a concerted effort, now that I’ve thought more about it? Absolutely will try. @kinyonga is a great example of someone who does this. She will post a snippet to accompany the links she shares.

I've been looking for a solution to the broken links for years and one was brought to light just recently. I hope it will make it so that the links can be kept from being broken in the future. Even though some of the older links' information can sometimes become outdated, there is often a lot that is still valuable.

I originally wanted to be able to copy the whole text from links that I posted in individual threads but I would have done it with the authors permission, but that would have required so much work to get permission in some cases that I decided not to do it.

I've been looking for a solution to the broken links for years and one was brought to light just recently. I hope it will make it so that the links can be kept from being broken in the future. Even though some of the older links' information can sometimes become outdated, there is often a lot that is still valuable.

I originally wanted to be able to copy the whole text from links that I posted in individual threads but I would have done it with the authors permission, but that would have required so much work to get permission in some cases that I decided not to do it.
I think you do a great job already! And you share so much! Hopefully the scientific websites have a longer shelf life than hobby sites.

The biggest problem I have come across is not being able to get ppl to share info on more rare species. Most ppl like to keep those close to the chest and not share there care. I’ve had ppl message me telling me to stop posting about my willsii so much because I am being harm to that species by talking about it so much. It’s honestly really discouraging to get massages like that when all I want is other ppl to experience these amazing guys just like I have.

There are unusual species breeders who are rumored to give false information on breeding and care just to keep control of the species. Some used to be rather prominent on this forum. I won't name names but shame on them. They know who they are and should be ashamed.

Wayback Machine doesn't do it? :unsure:

There are unusual species breeders who are rumored to give false information on breeding and care just to keep control of the species. Some used to be rather prominent on this forum. I won't name names but shame on them. They know who they are and should be ashamed.

Don't you ever get sick of taking the high road jill? Drop some names and let's slam them into the dirt.

Just messing, kinda 😁

Yes that is very sad, I feel like I’m being set to to fail from the beginning but they didn’t realize I’m a tough cookie that will go to extreme lengths to get my husbandry perfect. I feel like being able to get jane to lay her eggs Successfully without her dying is an accomplishment I am happy with 👍🏼

This doesn't surprise me.

I would just point out that the name of this domain is "chameleonforums.com"—not "repositoryforallknowledgeaboutchameleons.com" I infer that to mean its primary intent and purpose was/is to be a place for discussion and exchange of ideas, while including a modicum of reference information.

Sites like Cameleon Academy, Neptune the Chameleon, caskabove.com, et al are primarily repositories, and (most) have no forums for discussion/exchange of ideas, questions, etc. (No sleight intended, but I just don't put "comments sections" on a par with forums. 🤷‍♂️)

IDT the intent is to send people away. I think it is to provide more comprehensive information—expressed better than the average bear—and to anticipate follow-ups with answers that can be found on the referenced article, site, or search.

I've been on forums where there are rules against posting the name, URL —or even mentioning the existence of—"competing" or similar forums. So much for the free exchange of ideas.

IME here, people invariably come back with follow-ups or for clarification. I can't imagine anyone not coming back; this is the place they got the referral to the answers they sought.

There's also nothing stopping anyone here of following & reviewing those links, quoting a passage, and adding their own observations/opinions on them to the discussion. I've seen it happen. I've done it, and it's been done with links I've provided, and I think led to some constructive—and sometimes entertaining—discussion.

One thing I've observed on this forum is (IMO) an unbelievable amount of redundancy of both questions & answers. I've seen instances of (nearly, if not) identical questions in the titles of 2, 3, or more threads on the same page. Yet referring anyone to the archives (hence keeping them on the site) is considered by some here to be "rude," followed by boilerplate answers that can be found multiple times in the archives, or on the other similar threads. (I've done that myself, because it seems to be the culture here—not that there's anything wrong with that—just an observation.) I've seen—and been on—other forums (going back to Usenet) that consider asking questions whose answers can easily be found with a simple search as being a waste of peoples' time—and "rude". Times change. We adapt.

Without getting into levels of knowledge or experience, "answerers" could write up boilerplate (paraphrased) responses as suggested, and copy/paste—or like many—just refer them to what they know is good complete time-tested information expressed in a well thought out format, which FWIW, may be on another site.

Exactly. (y)
Your observation of redundancy in questions and answers is right on.✋

Bacteria are on every surface of just about everything. All bacteria are not created equal. Most of the more dangerous with a couple of exceptions are fairly easy to kill without flaming everything to the ground. Some moderate precautions can prevent some common zoonotic diseases. In the wild sun, wind and rain and competition with other bacteria would reduce bacterial counts. I support bioactive projects in their attempt to recreate this. I think people who are not ready or able to make the switch to bioactive may need to take more precautions.
I know we don't entirely agree on this subject but we are not that far apart.
I have been wiping the bottom on of cage with Clorox disinfecting wipes once a week.I figured for the dead crickets and poop clean up. Is this ok?

Back
Top Bottom