Sending people to other sites doesn't further discussion here

the issue is that the webservers that hosted that data either deleted and reused inactive data links, or they shut down altogether. Either way, the info is gone.

that’s part of @JacksJill point (I think). Copy the relevant data here, AND link to the site. So if one day that site is affected in anyway, we don’t lose the context down the road.

Its also helpful to further discussion. In the other thread where we are discussing bio dude... just a link to the site leaves out all the context in that discussion.

I never attempted to keep a chameleon until my son decided he wanted to own one. I researched everything I could, but the most useful information (husbandry, enclosure, etc) came from this forum. My guy is 4.5 years old and doing great! I owe this to this forum and not to Reddit or any other forum.

As a member who has a certain fondness for the Chameleon Academy and the attached podcast I will support the general sentiment that the website and podcast are companions to the forums and conversational platforms like Facebook. The podcast was meant to be a place where people could use commute, work out, and chore time to learn about chameleons which is a much better use of time. And the website was to gather reference material inspired by what was learned on the podcast. These things can never replace the conversational interaction of the forums.
I have not experienced the phenomena where sending someone to a website will destroy meaningful conversation. It is usually used to take the place of repetitive conversation. And, honestly, that is a main purpose for anything I write. I spend a great deal of time trying to wrestle down the waves of beginners that stumble onto Facebook and much of the resources I create are with my team in mind. What can I produce that will make their job easier? And it never ends. I am preparing a complete overhaul on the caresheets based on the feedback over the last year of what was confusing. It is continual growth. The great thing about this is that everything is constantly being challenged so the information and presentation gets better and better.
What I have found is that websites will not replace the conversation. People come to forums and social media to interact and they will only click to a website if there is no other option. If there is a conversation going, good luck getting the OP to tear away. And if they do they often come back and ask if they can trust what they read. Believe me, I always love seeing someone listen to a podcast with an industry expert and then ask a Facebook admin with single digit years of experience to verify if the information is good or not. <Face palm and tears>

I appreciate the confidence that many people have with the chameleonacademy.com information. But it is an overwhelming amount of information. A top priority continues to be attempting to make navigation easier and the information easier to digest. It can be used as a tool and a resource, but there is no way it can replace the one on one conversation aspect of the forums.

I think jill is a robot bent on destroying chameleonacademy. This forum needs less discussion, more memes.
And, yes, the reason why I have a scary Jackson's guarding the home page is @JacksJill unrelenting attempts to destroy the Chameleon Academy. This has been an effective deterrent so far and I expect it will remain until @JacksJill discovers his weakness for silkworms and then it is all over.

I think jill is a robot bent on destroying chameleonacademy. This forum needs less discussion, more memes.
Salt Bae Meme GIF by MOODMAN

You do a great service to us and the chameleons Bill @DeremensisBlue - I dont think anyone meant any slight to your work.

i do appreciate Jill’s sentiment, though, as I am often weeding through the archives looking for specific information - only to find the answer lies in a broken link from a years past, with no further info or answer.

i think a great practice would be copying some of the useful text, and including the link for further reading / listening / watching. Will everyone put it into practice? Doubtful. Will I make a concerted effort, now that I’ve thought more about it? Absolutely will try. @kinyonga is a great example of someone who does this. She will post a snippet to accompany the links she shares.

You do a great service to us and the chameleons Bill @DeremensisBlue - I dont think anyone meant any slight to your work.

i do appreciate Jill’s sentiment, though, as I am often weeding through the archives looking for specific information - only to find the answer lies in a broken link from a years past, with no further info or answer.

i think a great practice would be copying some of the useful text, and including the link for further reading / listening / watching. Will everyone put it into practice? Doubtful. Will I make a concerted effort, now that I’ve thought more about it? Absolutely will try. @kinyonga is a great example of someone who does this. She will post a snippet to accompany the links she shares.
No slight was taken. My scary home page Jackson's takes care of any trouble makers.

@DeremensisBlue Thank you for not taking that personally. You are a gentleman and a scholar. You have created some amazing references and brought many innovations for chameleon keeping to light. I and my chams are in your debt.

I appreciate the confidence that many people have with the chameleonacademy.com information. But it is an overwhelming amount of information. A top priority continues to be attempting to make navigation easier and the information easier to digest.
On that note many young people only access the internet through their phones and I don't think this lends itself to reading and referencing large blocks of text. Dyslexia can also make reading a horrible chore. The graphic care sheet format is truly a gift to those that have to work to read. Brilliant.

For the 5 or so years before I joined the forum I mined the treads here for every morsel of information I needed (@Klyde O'Scope it does happen). I didn't see the point of joining as the info was all out there for me on a platter except the broken links. I wouldn't have joined except I wanted to buy a chameleon from a member here. That was my gateway and here I am 6000+ posts later. (I may have a problem but at least I can admit it)

Now if you will excuse me I must get back to finding a way around that ferocious chameleon.

As a member who has a certain fondness for the Chameleon Academy and the attached podcast I will support the general sentiment that the website and podcast are companions to the forums and conversational platforms like Facebook. The podcast was meant to be a place where people could use commute, work out, and chore time to learn about chameleons which is a much better use of time. And the website was to gather reference material inspired by what was learned on the podcast. These things can never replace the conversational interaction of the forums.
I have not experienced the phenomena where sending someone to a website will destroy meaningful conversation. It is usually used to take the place of repetitive conversation. And, honestly, that is a main purpose for anything I write. I spend a great deal of time trying to wrestle down the waves of beginners that stumble onto Facebook and much of the resources I create are with my team in mind. What can I produce that will make their job easier? And it never ends. I am preparing a complete overhaul on the caresheets based on the feedback over the last year of what was confusing. It is continual growth. The great thing about this is that everything is constantly being challenged so the information and presentation gets better and better.
What I have found is that websites will not replace the conversation. People come to forums and social media to interact and they will only click to a website if there is no other option. If there is a conversation going, good luck getting the OP to tear away. And if they do they often come back and ask if they can trust what they read. Believe me, I always love seeing someone listen to a podcast with an industry expert and then ask a Facebook admin with single digit years of experience to verify if the information is good or not. <Face palm and tears>

I appreciate the confidence that many people have with the chameleonacademy.com information. But it is an overwhelming amount of information. A top priority continues to be attempting to make navigation easier and the information easier to digest. It can be used as a tool and a resource, but there is no way it can replace the one on one conversation aspect of the forums.
(Where I bolded) Happens so much here too. Not that I'm some cham expert that's been in it for decades, but people tend to attach themselves to someone on these forums(like another newb that is confident posting all of the time) and then reference them for everything. Ignoring anyone with more experience.

For the 5 or so years before I joined the forum I mined the treads here for every morsel of information I needed (@Klyde O'Scope it does happen).
:D Likewise, and I still do, but I'm probably considered "old school" by now.

Good points about phones (I don't have any kind of cell) and dyslexics (I'm aware of that disability of course, but wasn't aware—or just plain forgot—until I just looked up how many people it affects.

I have a friend with a smart phone though, who constantly looks things up, so I expect there are all kinds. Folks is folks.

:D Likewise, and I still do, but I'm probably considered "old school" by now.

Good points about phones (I don't have any kind of cell) and dyslexics (I'm aware of that disability of course, but wasn't aware—or just plain forgot—until I just looked up how many people it affects.

I have a friend with a smart phone though, who constantly looks things up, so I expect there are all kinds. Folks is folks.

"I have a friend with a smart phone". Now that I think of it, I believe I have a friend with a smart phone too. We're not so different, you and I.

@DeremensisBlue Thank you for not taking that personally. You are a gentleman and a scholar. You have created some amazing references and brought many innovations for chameleon keeping to light. I and my chams are in your debt.

On that note many young people only access the internet through their phones and I don't think this lends itself to reading and referencing large blocks of text. Dyslexia can also make reading a horrible chore. The graphic care sheet format is truly a gift to those that have to work to read. Brilliant.

For the 5 or so years before I joined the forum I mined the treads here for every morsel of information I needed (@Klyde O'Scope it does happen). I didn't see the point of joining as the info was all out there for me on a platter except the broken links. I wouldn't have joined except I wanted to buy a chameleon from a member here. That was my gateway and here I am 6000+ posts later. (I may have a problem but at least I can admit it)

Now if you will excuse me I must get back to finding a way around that ferocious chameleon.

I joined and read here off and on for I think 8 years before posting(yes, this is a competition), and then I still asked a million questions 🤷‍♂️. I'm someone who will often know the answer, but likes confirmation because everything must be PERFECT.

For the 5 or so years before I joined the forum I mined the treads here for every morsel of information I needed (@Klyde O'Scope it does happen). I didn't see the point of joining as the info was all out there for me on a platter except the broken links. I wouldn't have joined except I wanted to buy a chameleon from a member here. That was my gateway and here I am 6000+ posts later. (I may have a problem but at least I can admit it
I actually used to just lurk on here b4 I made an account, I was forced to make one when I brought Imelda home and had no idea how to syringe feed her. I remember reading post on how to do it but I couldn’t seem to understand till some explained it to me.

The biggest problem I have come across is not being able to get ppl to share info on more rare species. Most ppl like to keep those close to the chest and not share there care. I’ve had ppl message me telling me to stop posting about my willsii so much because I am being harm to that species by talking about it so much. It’s honestly really discouraging to get massages like that when all I want is other ppl to experience these amazing guys just like I have.

I actually used to just lurk on here b4 I made an account, I was forced to make one when I brought Imelda home and had no idea how to syringe feed her. I remember reading post on how to do it but I couldn’t seem to understand till some explained it to me.

The biggest problem I have come across is not being able to get ppl to share info on more rare species. Most ppl like to keep those close to the chest and not share there care. I’ve had ppl message me telling me to stop posting about my willsii so much because I am being harm to that species by talking about it so much. It’s honestly really discouraging to get massages like that when all I want is other ppl to experience these amazing guys just like I have.

Parsons were like that for a very long time. I used to post a lot complaining about it. In fact, I think that's part of the reason oldchamkeeper made a caresheet for them. Even now, some parson's breeders will water down the info they give you and never really reveal how they do things. A lot of people are in reptile hobbies just to make some money.

Seriously?! I’ve been hoping for you to post MORE about your Willsi! Let us live vicariously thru you!

Back
Top Bottom