Sending off

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
Apollo is in the middle of a heat stroke right now. After my parents divorce I went to stay at my mothers for the night. Friday I checked everything and made my last min preps. Today I come back to find my father had the door closed to the reptile room and the room is about 90 degrees. I open up Apollo cage and see he's laying on the floor. Unresponsive. The cage itself is around 100 degrees checked with temp gun. His eyes are sunken in and my dad didn't feed him. He's in very much pain.

I love Apollo so very much and I know a lot of you have heard of him. And watched his progress as he's grown in the year and 7 months that I've had him. I'm sad to say that I can see the life fading and will be up all night letting him pass peacefully on my chest. I know there isn't anything I can do at this point to save him and that I've done my best. If any of you have anything you would like to say to him now is the time. I'm going to type my last words to him below

To apollo: I love you. I love you so very much and I hope you know I've done everything in my power to try and give you the best life possible. I know you are in pain and I would like for you to understand that you are the most amazing chameleon ive ever owned. As my first real experience with reptiles you taught me so very much about trust, love and respect. I hope you find peace over that rainbow bridge and keep in mind that I will always and forever love you and treasure you so much. I love you my little sweet boy❤??

Update: for the first time since I've ever had him... I've seen him close his eyes on me. This has been so very hard but I know it's time to let go and let him cross over. I hope he knows I will be with him through the process though and that he will not be alone

He's opening and closing his eyes the angry beard on his chin is now going down and his head is sinking.

IMG_20200314_225753_064.jpg

The little one has closed his eyes now
Beard fully gone. He's just resting now. His chin is on my chest.

Im very sorry for the situation. Seeing a loved one unwell or saying goodbye is a very difficult thing.

I would keep him comfortable tonight to see if he feels a little better tomorrow.

This might help....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hyperthermia.153196/page-2
" I turned on the mister and fans to cool the room. Pulled her out and ran her under tepid water".
Yeah I misted and dripped on his nose. His body completely rejected the water and he threw it up. He cannot climb and is in way worse shape. Thank you so very much for looking for ways to help I really so appreciate it. I know he won't make it through the night but I'll try my very best to help him if I can

Im very sorry for the situation. Seeing a loved one unwell or saying goodbye is a very difficult thing.

I would keep him comfortable tonight to see if he feels a little better tomorrow.
Thank you. By the looks of it he won't make it to tmr. It was 100 + degrees since last night. He has been over heating for quite a while

Thoughts and prayers are with you both. have you tried putting a cool (not cold) cloth on him?
I tried just now to touch him and feel his temperature, he's Luke warm but he hates it. I can try a room temp cloth if that might help. Would it cause too much stress? He's been in a 70 degree room for about 2 hours now

It was jut a thought ...you don't want the rag temperature to be so cold that it puts him into shock...I just though it was with a try if he's going to die anyway. Hugs
Thank you so much. He seems to be regaining a little energy. He hissed at me! You have no idea how happy I am to hear that one little hiss from him.

I tried just now to touch him and feel his temperature, he's Luke warm but he hates it. I can try a room temp cloth if that might help. Would it cause too much stress? He's been in a 70 degree room for about 2 hours now

Ambient room temp is ok. The cool (roomtemp) cloth as well. In humans you would get them to sip very small amounts of water... but that may be difficult for him without breathing it in.

It's always good to see attitude...well almost always.
My fingers are still crossed.
Hes holding in his eyes and has now decided to lay back down and rest. Bright colors again and eyes now closed again so I don't know what to think of the hiss. It was a rather loud and powerful hiss though

Ambient room temp is ok. The cool (roomtemp) cloth as well. In humans you would get them to sip very small amounts of water... but that may be difficult for him without breathing it in.
His body rejected all the water I gave him an hour ago. I will try in the morning to see if he'll drink and keep it down if he's still with us. He hissed again when I moved my hand which means he's opening his eyes again but is extremely lethargic. I will try the room temp cloth is things get worse.

Back
Top Bottom