Sending off Stool Samples?

MSAquatics

Just wondering if anyone out there sends off stool samples of their chams to a specialized reptile lab? Ive been using my local veteranarian clinic, but I'm not sure they're looking for protozoans as well as nematodes. My vet said they were, but I'm reluctant to belive that the lab they send off to is looking for anything more than the common nematode worms seen in cats and dogs. I'd feel more comfortable if I was able to mail samples to a specialized lab or one that frequently tests chameleon stool.

Thanks,
Leland

JMO
About 8 years ago I was searching for a good vet for the same issues, except it was for my seahorses.
I picked up my own microscope and have solved my dilemma. :)

Then just do some searches for pathogens and other microscopic organisms.

Then you will know exactly what your animals have or don't have.

It is so interesting to see what actually gets digested and what passes through, like cricket wings, wax-worm heads and items they eat when your not watching (usually plant matter or dirt).

I do it with frogs, chameleons, turtles, and of course the seahorses. :)

It is easier than one might think. Plus, I don't have wait if I think there is a problem.

Good luck!
JMHO

JMO
About 8 years ago I was searching for a good vet for the same issues, except it was for my seahorses.
I picked up my own microscope and have solved my dilemma. :)

Then just do some searches for pathogens and other microscopic organisms.

Then you will know exactly what your animals have or don't have.

It is so interesting to see what actually gets digested and what passes through, like cricket wings, wax-worm heads and items they eat when your not watching (usually plant matter or dirt).

I do it with frogs, chameleons, turtles, and of course the seahorses. :)

It is easier than one might think. Plus, I don't have wait if I think there is a problem.

Good luck!
JMHO

Ditto this^^^^ Also, invest in the book "understanding reptile parasites" if you decide to get a scope yourself.. It has helped me tremendously.

Alex

I very much agree it would be nice to see any problems and treat them ASAP. I'm very familiar with microscopes, I used them on a daily basis in college.

I'm still reluctant to spend the cash on it when I'd rather buy new 6 bulb t-5 fixtures for my Cham room. Lol

It takes quite a few $25 lab screenings to pay for a microscope. What magnification range scope do you use, and do you know of anywhere in particular to get a deal on one short of watching eBay & Craigslist?

Thanks,
Leland

I very much agree it would be nice to see any problems and treat them ASAP. I'm very familiar with microscopes, I used them on a daily basis in college.

I'm still reluctant to spend the cash on it when I'd rather buy new 6 bulb t-5 fixtures for my Cham room. Lol

It takes quite a few $25 lab screenings to pay for a microscope. What magnification range scope do you use, and do you know of anywhere in particular to get a deal on one short of watching eBay & Craigslist?

Thanks,
Leland

Leland, decent microscopes for what we need for are very affordable, and if you have several chams it will pay for itself in a years time( I run fecals roughly every 4-6 months).

As for mag range, 40-400x will suffice for what we need for the most part. I use a Celestron digital personally.

Check out member Xanthomans threads, he knows his stuff and has several threads on this topic.

Alex

Leland, decent microscopes for what we need for are very affordable, and if you have several chams it will pay for itself in a years time( I run fecals roughly every 4-6 months).

As for mag range, 40-400x will suffice for what we need for the most part. I use a Celestron digital personally.

Check out member Xanthomans threads, he knows his stuff and has several threads on this topic.

Alex

Exactly, most reptile parasites are large enough to see with a cheap microscope, even see the eggs!
You can buy a whole kit, comes with a cheap (but effective) plastic microscope, and everything you need to do your own fecal testing for under $50.00.
The tricky part is making a positive ID on what you see!!

Ditto this^^^^ Also, invest in the book "understanding reptile parasites" if you decide to get a scope yourself.. It has helped me tremendously.

Alex

I've found two books, one is 83 pages and labeled the basics, and the other is 200 pages, and quite expensive. Which one do you have?

Leland

Back
Top Bottom