{Semi write-up} Basic setup w/ pics

SS4Luck

Established Member
So i had to get my setup ready for my little guy this morning and there are tons of writeups and recomendations but none with pictures so i figured id help out and take pics for everyone. I will apologize now and say sorry for the poor quality, my Nikon is dead cuz i just got back from vacation so they are all from my phone.

First get all your stuff read. I had my cage, a ficus from a local nursery, new soil with no extra stuff in it, and some wooden dowels. I know a lot of people sure the fake vines and everything, but i always had problems with them and really like using just the basics.
IMG_20101128_135528.jpg

Next i took the ficus and pulled the two seperate trees out of the pot and started knocking all the old soil out of the roots and trees to the best of my abilities without breaking the roots. I know if there is some of the older dirt tangled in the roots it will be okay cuz the chams cant get to it. It makes a HUGE mess though.
IMG_20101128_135959.jpg

IMG_20101128_140406.jpg

IMG_20101128_140411.jpg

Next i put the tree in the cage, and started trimming trimming trimming. I hate when you see cages that are over powered by too many plants and make it nearly impossible to find the cham. Its really easy to find a nice balance between enough coverage and still being able to see your baby while still looking nice and green.
IMG_20101128_141316.jpg

how much i cut out
IMG_20101128_142217.jpg

Then I took the cage into my room (where it will stay) and started cutting dowels into the right length. After tons of experimenting with my past chams i found 2 or 3 levels of triangular pathways work best and they use them the most. I have one level about 1/2 way up the cage, with 2 dowels going to the second set that are about 3/4 of the way up the cage. I used push pins through the mesh into the rods to keep them in place and not rip up the screens.
IMG_20101128_144622.jpg

IMG_20101128_175241.jpg

Then i set up my dripper and put my little guy in more towards the bottom and let him explore his way up into the top and find out where he wanted to go! He ran isntantly top the top and started warming up and throwing color around :D
IMG_20101128_144736.jpg

I gave him a quick mist and let him be for the rest of the day
IMG_20101128_145242.jpg

I still have to put his feeding cup in, but im going to make a square set of pahts and hang the cup between two walkways to make it easier to pull in and out. Im going to do that tomorrow though.

Let me know what you think!!!!

Impossible to find the chameleon isn't a bad thing. It provides more place for the chameleon to hide and feel safe.

Aesthetics over health of the chameleon? Eh.

Thanks for the write-up w/ pics. I like the simple setup. How long do the dowels normally last before needed to be replaced.

This is great. I love it. Thank you.

Could you post picture of your dripper set up please? I was going to just use a cup with a small hole in the bottom, but maybe that is too risky? What about a dripper like you use for hamsters?

Also, what kind of lighting are you going with?

-Mike

If you can find a plant that takes up the whole cage, only cut away a little for a basking spot! Chameleons feel more secure in thick plants and seem to be less likely to get flighty.

Drippers can be just cups with a hole in it. They work just fine. And lighting involves a UVB light (a linear reptisun 5.0 is most recommended) and a heat lamp which can just be a regular incandescent bulb. I use anything from a 15 watt to an 80 watt, depending on my needs.

Impossible to find the chameleon isn't a bad thing. It provides more place for the chameleon to hide and feel safe.

Aesthetics over health of the chameleon? Eh.

If you look there is still a ton of fliage for him to hide in. It may look a little thin in the pictures, but there is still a ton of places to hide. The only place that may be considered "in the open" is part of his basking spot, but it is right where he went to and warmed up so i dont think he feels too bad about it

Thanks for the write-up w/ pics. I like the simple setup. How long do the dowels normally last before needed to be replaced.

i usually replace them every 6-10 weeks? It depends a lot on misting schedules, and such. You can see when they need to be replaced. They turn a weird color and start to bow a little bit. At $0.97 for a long piece ( i usually get around 3 mini pieces out of them) its easy and thought free to replace. Its usually a good time to pull everything out and clean the cage ayway

This is great. I love it. Thank you.

Could you post picture of your dripper set up please? I was going to just use a cup with a small hole in the bottom, but maybe that is too risky? What about a dripper like you use for hamsters?

Also, what kind of lighting are you going with?

-Mike

i will post those tomorrow. I have a little dripper going. I used to used a red cup with a small hole in the bottom. I found it didnt last long enough so i went to the little dripper setup. I think i payed a hole $5 for it so it was a mindless thing for me. It is about 4-5 times bigger than the standard "party" cup and i usually only have to fill it once in the morning before i leave for the day and then about 1/2 agian once i get home.

Im using a dual fixture setup with a 5.0 UVB and a grow light for the tree. Im also using a standard 57W house bulb for heat. Keeps my baskign spot at the hottest part of the day 81* and somewhere in the 78-80 range on average.

If you look there is still a ton of fliage for him to hide in. It may look a little thin in the pictures, but there is still a ton of places to hide. The only place that may be considered "in the open" is part of his basking spot, but it is right where he went to and warmed up so i dont think he feels too bad about it
There was still more foliage before you cut up the plant. I was just saying there is no "too much" for plants when providing hiding places for the chameleon.

Just some creative criticism. Take it as you will.

There was still more foliage before you cut up the plant. I was just saying there is no "too much" for plants when providing hiding places for the chameleon.

Just some creative criticism. Take it as you will.

thats fine, i do understand your just trying to help :D no hard feelings over here. I have BUTCHERED plants before doing this and it def is an art. The problem with this one i got today was the top was all tangled together and even i couldnt pull some of them apart so im sure they would tangle up a cham. As it grows apart like it will now i will def let it thicken up as well

Thank you for the answers, very helpful. I'll go with the hole in the cup solution. The chameleon will be chilling in the same room as me during the day since I work from home. I shouldn't have any problems filling it a couple times per day.

Do you handle your chameleon much?

-Mike

Nice set up for new guy. It is very comforting in knowing that one of my "babies"went to a great home.
Let me know if you have any questions.

thats fine, i do understand your just trying to help :D no hard feelings over here. I have BUTCHERED plants before doing this and it def is an art. The problem with this one i got today was the top was all tangled together and even i couldnt pull some of them apart so im sure they would tangle up a cham. As it grows apart like it will now i will def let it thicken up as well
I wouldn't worry about the chameleon too much, especially when it comes to trees. Good luck.

Don't forget to clean up the wording a little so it's easier to read, if you plan on turning it into an actual guide that is.

Thank you for the answers, very helpful. I'll go with the hole in the cup solution. The chameleon will be chilling in the same room as me during the day since I work from home. I shouldn't have any problems filling it a couple times per day.

Do you handle your chameleon much?

-Mike

No worries man, everyone has to start somewhere and i had a few people that know alot more than i do help me out when i first started, so i figured it was about time for me to do the same. As long as you can be there to fill the cup itll be no problem at all. Youll have to experient with the size of the hole, my first dripper was like that and i pry tried 15 different sizes before i got it right. Something you could do tho is make your own dripper at home depot for pry about $3. All you would need is a valve that would let you control flow and a large container that you could wet atop the cage.

i handled my last chameleons about once a week. My veiled really liked to come out and would run to the cage whenever i opened it and was always ready to come out and explore. My jacksons and carpets, not so much. It caries from cham to cham, but remember they arent much of a handling animal so dont handle too much if you notice it stresse them out.

Nice set up for new guy. It is very comforting in knowing that one of my "babies"went to a great home.
Let me know if you have any questions.

thanks, it means alot to hear that coming from a breeder/enthusiast as big as you. Ill make sure i take perfect care of this guy and send pics every big color milestone he hits

What do you put in the feeding cup? I thought you just dumped in a handful of crickets, and the chameleon hunted them down?

-Mike

What do you put in the feeding cup? I thought you just dumped in a handful of crickets, and the chameleon hunted them down?

-Mike

Meathod of feeding is definitely a topic of personal preference. While freeranging feeders is definitely the easiest meathod of feeding and certainly the most entertaining watching them hunt, I do not trust the bugs/chameleons all the time. While the cham may go right after 2-3 crickets, the other 7-10 are running and hiding. If your cham decides it doesn't want to eat, it could turn into a pretty decent hunger strike/problem before you realize it cuz you can't see bugs that have died/hidden/escaped.

With a feeding cup you can count about 95% sure of what he's eating. While a few crickets may escape, t is rare if you pick the right cup to use. I still will throw 3-6 crickets to freerange, vbut I make sure I put a full days food in the cup. If a few extra crickets die then so be it, id rather be able to be sure what he's eatin than take a wild guess

great looking setup! i also did the dowel thing.. i put some thumb tacks through both sides. my issue is that they do not exactly stay, when they are touched the thing will just rotate.. when my cham grabs it, he will either stay on it upside down.. or if he tries to grab it from the side.. it just spins him upside down :( do you have the same issue??

great looking setup! i also did the dowel thing.. i put some thumb tacks through both sides. my issue is that they do not exactly stay, when they are touched the thing will just rotate.. when my cham grabs it, he will either stay on it upside down.. or if he tries to grab it from the side.. it just spins him upside down :( do you have the same issue??

you need to push the thumb tacks farther into the dowel and pinch the screen in the middle. They literally need to be rock solid against easother with the tack pushed all the way into the wood

Back
Top Bottom