Semi free range bio active enclosure

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
Got some orienting questions. Already tried the search option within the forum, however couldn´t find a direct example.

I´m curious if there are members that have positive results with semi open bio active enclosures? Would do I mean with this? I´m thinking about a future build enclosure, after our living room expansion, by the end of this summer, is realized. My thoughts are following:
Rebuilding a large planter, mounting a shower tray in it for the drainage. From there setting up the bio active soilage with upstanding glass walls about 10” above the soil and planter. This to ensure the chameleon cannot come out and to keep eventual feeders or your clean-up crew in.

Inside the planter a large water container for the mister and fogger and where the drainage water (running through natural filters) returns in, as redundant setup. Also, all electric will be inside the planter, with just one or two power cords coming out. Planter will be placed on little trolleys for easy moving.

At one side a small pole, for the all the wiring and hoses (fogger and mister) which ends with UVB / LED fixtures and a loop with several misting nozzles and loop hose for fogging, above the planter (out of reach of the chameleon).

Inside the planter i.e., a large Bonsai Hawaiian Umbrella Tree (see picture) or another large kind of tree like plant.

Just in short, some thoughts for creating the ultimate chameleon ‘free range’ enclosure simulating its natural habitat, by mainly living in a tree.

Maybe on the top also some acrylic or mesh surrounding for about 1.5’ to keep the upper part more humid.

Are there members that already have tried to realize such enclosure? Would like to brainstorm about the idea, see what order great ideas could pop up 😇

Later this week, I try draw it.

shefflera3.jpg

I've done many free range bio enclosures. Sorry I don't have time ATM to read the whole post, wife's rushing me to leave lol. I'll post a pic of one of my older ones for my panther.

20170623_132449.jpg

I had two deep planters I connected at the bottom with the substrate, wire shelf held the lights at the top.

Had smaller ones for babies too.

I've done many free range bio enclosures. Sorry I don't have time ATM to read the whole post, wife's rushing me to leave lol. I'll post a pic of one of my older ones for my panther.

View attachment 295088

I had two deep planters I connected at the bottom with the substrate, wire shelf held the lights at the top.

Had smaller ones for babies too.
Looking great 👌🏻👌🏻

My intentions are making it fully freestanding with 360* clear view (with the exception of the pole) and just one centerpiece, a tree. The floor would be forest-like, with a few beautiful pieces, like the rattlesnake plant.

Looking great 👌🏻👌🏻

My intentions are making it fully freestanding with 360* clear view (with the exception of the pole) and just one centerpiece, a tree. The floor would be forest-like, with a few beautiful pieces, like the rattlesnake plant.
Gotcha! Maybe something like a hydroponics tray with the right dimensions(I was originally going to go that route). They have the pole for lights and misters too. Either way, sounds like it'll turn out beautiful, definitely doable with some creativity.

BTW is that your bonsai?

Gotcha! Maybe something like a hydroponics tray with the right dimensions(I was originally going to go that route). They have the pole for lights and misters too. Either way, sounds like it'll turn out beautiful, definitely doable with some creativity.

BTW is that your bonsai?
Okay, good tip, gonna check it. Properly due the available dimensions, it will all be custom made.

Ooh, I would wish 😍. It’s a kind bonsai I would love to use for this project.

I don’t want anything mounted to the ceiling, however that would be the easiest and best solution 👌🏻.
Would like to move the enclosure in the free air during summer. Got a roof terrace, directly accessible from the living room.

BTW is that your bonsai?
00E1D74D-08FB-4D9C-85B6-A946420D16E8.jpeg

How awesome would this be, such a beautiful piece displayed in your living room with a chameleon living in it 😍

Already spotted that one and looks great indeed. However missing the life tree and privacy for the Cham (I think this is a real stressful enclosure). Still it's really cool :cool:
Yes I totally agree, needs much more foliage! So glad you think so too! You’re chameleon is quite lucky to have you as an owner 👍

Back
Top Bottom