Seems like I’m not getting anywhere with these enclosures

I found some roots that are bendable just like the fake ones. I love using roots they last a very long time but washed of course.

After taking the bamboo out like these sticks are this is as far as I’ve gotten lol

Attachments

• DF1C0090-C775-4AF5-A29B-5B9543CC5D1C.jpeg
    DF1C0090-C775-4AF5-A29B-5B9543CC5D1C.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 185
You got this. There is no perfect when working with natural materials. Just tie in your plants and add your horizontals.
Everything looks like a garbage...when I look for sticks it’s just another one I can’t use and the sticks to hang the plants are just horrendous. It is what it is I’m just tempted to quit trying

Everything looks like a garbage...when I look for sticks it’s just another one I can’t use and the sticks to hang the plants are just horrendous. It is what it is I’m just tempted to quit trying
Just take a break, get out of your head, then just do it, and deal with the final outcome. Don’t overthink anything. Get it done and live with it. If you don’t like it in a month, redo it!

Once the plants are in there and growing they will hide many things you don't like. Then when you have a chameleon in there you won't see anything else.
Should the plant on the right come down more?

Attachments

• B2C6E0B1-FE37-4BC7-A5AA-19ECEA960AE4.jpeg
    B2C6E0B1-FE37-4BC7-A5AA-19ECEA960AE4.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 179
Should I just pick up some 3/4 inch or 1 inch dowels from the hardware store to make it easier on myself for the side stick plant mounting due to the fact that a couple of the plant pot will be leaning on the screen...?

I don’t see anything wrong with it. Exactly what is it that is upsetting you so much? Take a step back and a deep breath. Post a pic of the entire viv and all the individual components you already have, the edges are cut off in the last pic.

I think your being to hard on yourself, I recognize it because I use to do it to myself all the time. No matter how well a project comes out I always feel like it’s not good enough, especially when compared to others. That feeling is compounded even more when it’s something I really care about, I think you care so much about this project that the slightest perceived flaw, no matter how minor, is stressing you out. I know how you feel. You fell like an imposter of a Cham keeper, but your not. Take a break from it for a day, clear your head, you can do this!

I don’t see anything wrong with it. Exactly what is it that is upsetting you so much? Take a step back and a deep breath. Post a pic of the entire viv and all the individual components you already have, the edges are cut off in the last pic.

I think your being to hard on yourself, I recognize it because I use to do it to myself all the time. No matter how well a project comes out I always feel like it’s not good enough, especially when compared to others. That feeling is compounded even more when it’s something I really care about, I think you care so much about this project that the slightest perceived flaw, no matter how minor, is stressing you out. I know how you feel. You fell like an imposter of a Cham keeper, but your not. Take a break from it for a day, clear your head, you can do this!

All my friends are like why don’t you just throw some plants in there and a couple of sticks and call it a day and that goes with any reptile I keep. I don’t think they get how important for an animal to feel secure and content in captivity it really is. We can’t ever get the natural environment to a T but making it as close as possible to their natural environment is the key to a longer and less stress free life. Yeah I right exactly what you’re talking about lol. I think I’m trying to get it to much like a Dale Tamera, Bill Strand, or Petr Necus enclosure build or something. I’ve always went back and forth between live plants and fake ones only because of a sanitary environment I was concerned about. If I had a green house I’d just have some big plants and trees and let the free range all the time. I’ve always been quite hard on myself goes for everything I’ve ever done. Never quit anything if ever put my mind to. I guess perfection has always been a thing or OCD lol. I guess since I got Bill Strand’s enclosures I figured it had to be nothing more than a work of art as well as the more important thing the chameleons having enough of everything like branches and coverage...security.

The biggest thing is it’s Jacksonii Xantholophus pair straight from their natural environment in Kenya, Africa when not being enclosured in a cage except before the Steve Mcnary puts in a lot of care and thought in their transition of free to being kept. I just want their transition to be the best possible and that’s all I really care about. I think the project of getting the gene pool kept clean in the chameleon community is a huge deal for us. With that being said the Hawaiian Xantholophus Jacksonii but the genes are weaker for the fact of numerous inbreeding on that island and those are most likely the ones you get unless you get it from someone in here or another reputable source that we trust. Sorry for the rant.

Just relax, we all have to start somewhere. Besides, I’m sure your importer makes them as comfortable as he can during the importation process but I’m sure it’s nothing compared to a nice DragonStrand!

Here’s what I have so far.

Attachments

• A5B19283-D1F6-47C2-BE3D-A0DF74042494.jpeg
    A5B19283-D1F6-47C2-BE3D-A0DF74042494.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 161
  • EDDE2387-852B-463A-8E3A-13D397196AD3.jpeg
    EDDE2387-852B-463A-8E3A-13D397196AD3.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 163
If you don't want the pots bottom edge to lean on the screen attach a small twig to the back of your 2 vertical branches at the point where it would lean into the screen. Attach the edge of the pot bottom to that twig for your third point of support for the pot.

I think eventually you are going to need to make a pond and stone foam background with the pots embedded in it to make you happy. I would not do that yet with a wild caught cham. I also wouldn't build it into the screen the way Bill does in his tutorial. I build it on a backing and attach that to the ledges. It's much more versatile that way and you can add it later after you've dealt with any possible parasite issues.

Back
Top Bottom