seeking advice on which cage to pick, and a misting system

wendysjungle

My converted ferret cage works great for Joyce, but is a royal pain for me as you have to take the thing apart or remove all the screen covering in order to clean it, and the rigged up velcro door I made in the screen is not holding up well to all the misting! Sooooo, I need to select a cage for her that will make MY life a bit easier, and am either going with the 24x24x48 aluminum and screen model from LLL Reptile, or the 29x29x48 Reptarium. I'm just looking for the pros and cons of each from anybody who has either of them.

I also need to get a misting system for her, and would love to know what everybody has found works best. Right now she has a drip system and I get to hand mist her cage about once daily with the hours I work. Any advice would be sooooo appreciated!

If LLL has that 24x24x48 screen cage on sale I would certainly go with that one. The screen cages are much easier than the Reptariums (I am still using both kinds).

Yep, still on sale! I was leaning towards that one (hopefully the shipping won't be TOO much of a killer!), but wanted to make sure. Thanks so much, it's great to hear from somebody who has tried both!

I really prefer the aluminum cages as well.
I will say that I don't think you need one that large for a female veiled.
It would be nice for her, but my prediction is that you are not going to stop with this chameleon and space may be an issue.;)
18x18x36 would be plenty of room for her.
I have Agnes in a 17x16x30 and she is very comfortable.
The males really benefit from the 24x24x48, but it has always been my opinion that the girls don't need all that space.

-Brad

this comparison chart may help you,

http://www.screameleons.com/portal/alias__Screameleons/lang__en-US/tabID__3391/DesktopDefault.aspx

i too prefer the screen cages, i just cover the back and 1 side of the cage with a light silk curtain to help keep more of the humidity in, but still allows for some natural sunlight and visibility, plus i get the sense that my cham feels more secure with the added privacy than without it.

I got my cage from this site,

http://www.screencages.com/

they offer large mesh for no extra cost which is nice to prevent toenail injuries.

I really prefer the aluminum cages as well.
I will say that I don't think you need one that large for a female veiled.
It would be nice for her, but my prediction is that you are not going to stop with this chameleon and space may be an issue.;)
18x18x36 would be plenty of room for her.
I have Agnes in a 17x16x30 and she is very comfortable.
The males really benefit from the 24x24x48, but it has always been my opinion that the girls don't need all that space.

-Brad

Actually, the ferret cage she is currently in is 36x24x48, so I'm downsizing a bit, and I confess, keeping some size is my own attempt to stop myself from going into immediate chameleon addiction. Once I am no longer going to school full time WHILE I work full time, and I have finished my masters, I will consider feeding my developing cham addiction!

So any recommendations on a good misting system? (needs to be without hooking up to a running water source at this time).

Parrots and chameleons.....why couldn't I get addicted to beta fish, they hardly need any room...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
both mistking and herpmist are great misting systems, i have herpmist and i love it, and its a little cheaper.

I have the 2x2x4' cages from LLL....they are dirt cheap right now. One thing is the framing isnt that strong. several sections got dings in them from shipping. I cant complain much at that price. Shipping ran about $12.00 for me

Thanks so much everybody for the great advice! I just ordered the aluminum and screen cage (2x2x4 to keep my addiction in check :) ) from LLL. I'm emailing herpmist next to talk about what I need (and thanks for the tips on not going for the fine mist!). After struggling with the goofy "screen door" on Joyce's rigged up cage again tonight while I misted, I am VERY excited to get the new cage!

this comparison chart may help you,

http://www.screameleons.com/portal/alias__Screameleons/lang__en-US/tabID__3391/DesktopDefault.aspx

i too prefer the screen cages, i just cover the back and 1 side of the cage with a light silk curtain to help keep more of the humidity in, but still allows for some natural sunlight and visibility, plus i get the sense that my cham feels more secure with the added privacy than without it.

I got my cage from this site,

http://www.screencages.com/

they offer large mesh for no extra cost which is nice to prevent toenail injuries.

What a great site, I love all the info in one place. Thanks!! :)

I currently have both styles of cages. I absolutely hate the reptarium! You can't see in it & the zipper is a pain in the a@#! Spend a little extra for the aluminum, you be happy that you did.

I have 2 cages from Bluebeast(which I love). I need to order a new one for my girl. And I have a Herpmist. Can't go wrong with these choices.

Back
Top Bottom