Seeing in 2-D?

absolutbill

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a somewhat strange question, but I can't seem to find an answer to it. I received a chameleon calendar for Christmas, and it's my "pet" calender with all the info about feeding schedules, UVB bulb changes, etc. on it. My question is how close can it be to my male panther's cage? Currently I have it hanging on the same shared back wall, 2 feet away, as his cage, so he would have to cross to one side, and then look back. How well can chameleons see in 2-D, and is this calender with it's fired-up chams going to pose a problem? I have read about chams watching tv, but are they somehow following the movement, or can they really see in 2-D? Thanks for any imput you can share - I'd love to keep this calender by his cage if possible, but will move it if it'll cause Kibi to get stressed out.

I dont think you have anything to worry about not all chams freak out if they see another cham its the moving part that would stress him out. People talk about a cham seeing himself in the mirror and how they always fire up i tryed that once for the hell of it and spike just looked at his reflection like HEY WHATS UP!!

3 or 4 of my male panthers will fire up when seeing their reflection but they seem to ignore pictures. I have tried using a life size picture to fire them up to get good photos of them but they just walked right by. It is definitely the movement that gets my guys going also. However I have seen males fire up at photo's before so it could go either way. If it's not in direct sight all the time I wouldn't worry about it but if you see him eyeing and getting angry move it. Although I don't think you'll have a problem.

I dont think you have anything to worry about not all chams freak out if they see another cham its the moving part that would stress him out. People talk about a cham seeing himself in the mirror and how they always fire up i tryed that once for the hell of it and spike just looked at his reflection like HEY WHATS UP!!

How old is spike? I would have to say all but my baby will react to their own reflection. My big melleri Henry will puff his gullar and squint at his reflection thinking it is another cham (he is shy) and he will even try to hide. my male veileds... look out...

ok so yeah... a picture? Not sure. a picture isn't to 'scale' ya know? i bet if you took a mirror and distorted the image to make it look bigger the cham wouldn't react...

I dont think chameleons see the same wavelengths people do. A picture printed out and a real chameleons skin color might look totally different to a chameleon.

Put the calendar where you want it and see how he reacts. If all seems as normal, then leave it there. We've shown my guy other panthers on the Forums, and pictures in books, and the mirror, and he could care less about any of the above (though I know there are cham-to-cham differences with the mirror, and I don't know what's going through my guy's mind when he looks in it - "Huh! That guy's a wuss; I'm not even gonna bother puffing up for him!")

Thanks for all the input - it was along the lines of what I thought, but figured I'd get some other viewpoints. So far he's ignored it - although some of the pictures are bigger than he is!

Back
Top Bottom