seeing each other?

Inky

Established Member
Hey all I like to take my chameleons out side quite often as the weather is perfect for it right now but i was curious

Can i take them outside too much? Both of my chameleons dont seem to mind it. they are a little hesitant when I move them from their cages but when they are outside they love to bask and drink water off the plants i spray down. I know they dont like being handled so much and moved around but my chameleons seem to thrive outside so I take them out once a day . is this too much ?

also,
I try to take them out together so we can do it all in one sun session and I wanted to know how far of a distance should I keep between the basking chameleons? I put them on their own individual tall potted plants and they are quite far and high up but they can certainly see each other, does this stress them out? should I make sure there is no sight of the two ?

I mean, I'm no professional but in my opinion handling every day is a bit to much and can be stressful. Maybe every couple or few days depending on how comfortable they are with you. It can also be very stressful when they see eachother so no I do not reccomend keeping them in eye contact of eachother.

These animals live outdoors in the wild, so theoretically, there should be no problem exposure-wise.
Handling & territoriality may be (to co-opt a Shakespearean idiom) chameleons of a different color. 😁

If, when presented your hand, your chameleons approach and climb aboard of their own accord (welcome coming out/handling) I'd be less concerned.

A visual barrier between them probably would be best. I suppose it depends on their behaviors/reactions if they do see each other, but IDK.

If it were me, I think I would limit outings to once a week, and put a visual barrier between. JMO.

As much outside as you can is good. They can see easily across a yard. I have seen this with a gravid female seeing a male at 50ft and lighting up. She was gravid though.
Let them tell you. If they go about normal activity, no problem. If they lite up and start posturing then they need a barrier.
Handling is fine but same rules apply. If they walk out willing and you aren’t grabbing them there is no problem.

My suggestion would be to take them out individually - so every other day. This way they don't get handled too much (to me it depends on the individual chameleon, but if you are new to keeping and don't know the signs of stress it might be best to limit it a bit), and won't see each other. When they are getting their outside time, are they in a cage or roaming free? I ask because of the threat of predators to them (birds, snakes, etc.) Just something to think about.

My suggestion would be to take them out individually - so every other day. This way they don't get handled too much (to me it depends on the individual chameleon, but if you are new to keeping and don't know the signs of stress it might be best to limit it a bit), and won't see each other. When they are getting their outside time, are they in a cage or roaming free? I ask because of the threat of predators to them (birds, snakes, etc.) Just something to think about.
When they are outside they are in individual planter boxes with tall succulents planted in them i usually will throw some feeders in the box so they can hunt em down and will spray the whole area down, but they free roam and are watched like hawks by me and my sister and we are very cautious about the local wildlife around our home(very few pose a threat to chameleons), I've kept a individual chameleon for quite some time now over the years, but just recently have I started raising two at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom