Search for Parsonii Info

you can find parsonii orange eyes in st marie (nosy bohara) but you can also find parsonii orange eyes in north of madagascar

you can find parsonii orange eyes in st marie (nosy bohara) but you can also find parsonii orange eyes in north of madagascar

North of madagascar? Do you know if there is any evidence of this? Ive also heard rumours of them being on nosy be but really dont believe it! Unless they have been introduced there by someone.

The answers to any husbandry questions are out there in print. The Kalisch chapter in that book, articles in backissues of Reptiles, Reptilia, and The Vivarium, Davis' book, websites, etc.

Husbandry questions may be out there, but after doing some digging and purchasing...I'm still not satisfied with what incubation techniques I've read.

I'm curious if anyone knows which incubation has worked better; the double diapause or the constant temperature?

Great thread Cnorton! People that hold out info. on parson's are rediculous, those individuals must assume they are in a private club. My friend, screen name Scarlett, who rarely logs into the forum has a pair of Paronii and they are doing quite well. Every week she stops by to help out with some of my chameleons. I will tell her about this thread and have her post her findings. I would really like a pair one day and I hope to see her with a clutch!

I do not agree with you that Calumma Parsonii keepers do not want to share information. If you would mail me and several other Calumma Parsonii keepers on this forum I would expect you will receive an answer soon. I think is the same for questions on this forum but not everyone looks on a forum every day.

I can't answer questions about the breeding about Calumma Parsonii as I have no experience with this.Like stated before, their is a difference between a breeder and a keeper!

I do not agree with you that Calumma Parsonii keepers do not want to share information.

I don't hold anything against tight-lipped keepers or breeders. I understand their position and respect their responsibilities. I am just hopeful that perhaps we can all share a bit more and not be afraid to report what we're trying and how it has/hasn't worked.

There are many keepers that are generous with the information they have on parsonii. I am just trying to inspire more collaboration and sharing of methods and techniques.

This thread has really come a long way and I hope it can be a resource to others as it has for me.

I don't hold anything against tight-lipped keepers or breeders. I understand their position and respect their responsibilities.
From the start I've emphasize the difference with a Calumma Parsonii keeper and breeder. I do have something against a tight-lipped Calumma Parsonii breeders. I don't understand their position and the way they are not taking responsibility. Recently I send a general mail to several Calumma Parsonii keepers (and breeders ?). In this mail I divided the breeding in 7 points (see below) and ask several questions about this.

1. Mating ritual
2. Actual mating
3. Pregnancy
4. Egg laying
5. Incubation
6. Hatching of eggs
7. Growing up of babies

For me it is strange almost all information you can find on internet is only about point 7. This is the moment the parsons are placed for sale (mainly on internet).

Their are lost of rumors about the breeding of Calumma Parsonii. Are they really captive bred or are they wild caught and sold as captive bred ? Calumma Parsonii Breeders can be irritated about these rumors and critical remarks such as this reply of mine. If it bothers them why not show how it all been done. Why not say all the stories about wild caught Parsonii's are not true by hosting on online webcam, taking pictures, movies (youtube) and keep up a on-line data with their experience.

Most people do not know but I think the percentage of the female parsons who die before, during or after pregnancy is much higher then for instance female pardalis. Can I say this true, no, I don't have the fact because their is almost no data. It is a shame that this isn't documented with specie which is endangered.

I've heard the lame excuse that (so called ?) Calumma Parsonii Breeders have paid lost of money for the parsons and therefore don't want to share information about the breeding. What do they expect ? That because of the information they provide about breeding people will have captive bred Parsons within 24 hours ? Come on, this will take up a minimum of 2 years and help the Calumma Parsonii's conservation on a long term.

I think the reason you don't get any information from parsonii "breeders" is there aren't any ;) I bet you could count on 2 hands the number of people worldwide currently (captive) breeding this species, and I doubt many of them frequent this forum.
Of the recent batch imported (by recent I mean in the last 6 or 7 years), the ones that are still alive are just now approaching breeding age. So you may see some success from keepers turned breeders in the next few years. I hear scattered reports of eggs being laid, but not many hatchlings (yet). From young animal to breeding adult to eggs laid to hatching takes best case 6 years!! Longer if you let the animals fully mature. I might have some breeding information to share myself, about the year
2014 :p

There is no teacher like personal experience...and IMHO, I think from published findings, the captive care of males is adequate. Females may be a different story.

For those hungry minds out there, the European keepers are beginning to open up a bit more...and for that, we all stand to gain.

Last edited:
Why does it seem like Europe has a leg up on the U.S. with this species? They seem to advertise cb offspring every few months across the pond. I never see ads for cb parsonni from an actual breeder selling his/her offspring over here. Everything I see is imported or imported cb. Which is prob ch from gravid wc females.

Why does it seem like Europe has a leg up on the U.S. with this species? They seem to advertise cb offspring every few months across the pond. I never see ads for cb parsonni from an actual breeder selling his/her offspring over here. Everything I see is imported or imported cb. Which is prob ch from gravid wc females.

We have better chameleon breeders :p;)

They are nowhere near as available here in the USA. They also cost much less in Europe. Hate to say it however, it has been a while since someone in the states has hatched any out.

Well I've been informed their was a period they where imported on a monthly base to United States and this isn't something which was years ago. Can't check it however.

In Europe so called captive bred are sold much more. Probably because it easier to get... and the price is much cheaper. 235 euro's for juvenile so called captive bred.

Captive bred... useless words without information but that's just my opinion!

padre4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom