Search for Parsonii Info

Maybe with all the new keepers and a breeder with a 100% hatch rate, this thread can be brought back to life.

I would hope so! We really need to foster a spirit of collaboration in keeping parsonii...if not, I'm afraid we'll continue to struggle with them as we have for decades.

Wow this is an old thread;)
So I'm the one that recently hatched out the 100% parson's clutch, what would you like to know?

Hatching parsonii recipe-
Ingredients needed:
1 Clutch fertile eggs (difficult to aquire out of season)
1 cooling incubator with day\night temp fluctuation
1 large plastic container
500g grade 4 vermiculite
500g distilled water (to taste)

Pre mix distilled water and vermiculite into a .5/1 ratio (water, vermiculite) This will be your winter mix
Fill container half way
add eggs (mark tops in case of accidental turning)
add remaining vermiculite and bury eggs
Set incubator to 14c day 12c night 12/12 cycle (assuming the eggs are laid in the northern hemisphere winter)
Place container inside incubator
Wait 3 months
After 3 months slowly raise temperature over a 2-3 month period to 24c day 22c night 12/12 cycle.
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix. Peak of summer can be increase to 1/1 ratio.
Wait 3 months
After 3 months (beginning of fall) slowly lower temperature over 2-3 months to your winter diapause temps of 14c/12c
At this time slowly lower the water ratio of the vermiculite back to .5/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your dry winter mix again.
Wait 3 months
After 3 months slowly raise temperature over a 2-3 month period to 24c day 22c night 12/12 cycle.
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix again.
At the start of the last month of incubation (Middle of April) increase water ratio to 1/1 mix to simulate the beginning of the rainy season. You can also lightly drip the eggs with distilled water (sparingly)
By about the 17th month your babies should be fully cooked, remove from incubator and enjoy! :)

In all seriousness, that was all I did. The 4 variables you have to work with are temp, humidity, media, and day\night fluctuations.
I did a LOT of research into orange eye locations using websites like weatherunderground.com, and some depth soil temperature readings in
my backyard. I will admit I piggybacked off of Rantoro's (Andreas) success and forum posts regarding diapause temperatures:)
Water can be dripped directly on the eggs sparingly in the summer months if desired (caution.) I know Andreas has great success with this,
I did it a few times. If you were to plot out the temperatures and humidity needed over the year, it would look like a bell curve shaped graph,
like this:
Now get out and hatch some parsons everyone!:p

Attachments

• climate_example.jpg
    climate_example.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 571
Progress

Wow this is an old thread;)
So I'm the one that recently hatched out the 100% parson's clutch, what would you like to know?

Hatching parsonii recipe-
Ingredients needed:
1 Clutch fertile eggs (difficult to aquire out of season)
1 cooling incubator with day\night temp fluctuation
1 large plastic container
500g grade 4 vermiculite
500g distilled water (to taste)

Pre mix distilled water and vermiculite into a .5/1 ratio (water, vermiculite) This will be your winter mix
Fill container half way
add eggs (mark tops in case of accidental turning)
add remaining vermiculite and bury eggs
Set incubator to 14c day 12c night 12/12 cycle (assuming the eggs are laid in the northern hemisphere winter)
Place container inside incubator
Wait 3 months
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix. Peak of summer can be increase to 1/1 ratio.
Wait 3 months
After 3 months (beginning of fall) slowly lower temperature over 2-3 months to your winter diapause temps of 14c/12c
At this time slowly lower the water ratio of the vermiculite back to .5/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your dry winter mix again.
Wait 3 months
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix again.
At the start of the last month of incubation (Middle of April) increase water ratio to 1/1 mix to simulate the beginning of the rainy season. You can also lightly drip the eggs with distilled water (sparingly)
By about the 17th month your babies should be fully cooked, remove from incubator and enjoy! :)

In all seriousness, that was all I did. The 4 variables you have to work with are temp, humidity, media, and day\night fluctuations.
I did a LOT of research into orange eye locations using websites like weatherunderground.com, and some depth soil temperature readings in
my backyard. I will admit I piggybacked off of Rantoro's (Andreas) success and forum posts regarding diapause temperatures:)
Water can be dripped directly on the eggs sparingly in the summer months if desired (caution.) I know Andreas has great success with this,
I did it a few times. If you were to plot out the temperatures and humidity needed over the year, it would look like a bell curve shaped graph,
like this:
Now get out and hatch some parsons everyone!:p

Wow Garrett!

What a difference four short years make, where it seemed there was very little success with cb of this species (in the US).
Hopefully others can follow this with similar success :).

Better for keepers/enthusiasts but more importantly the species itself.

The hardest part is breeding the females and getting them to lay successfully,
I don't think there's a risk of a mad influx of captive bred parsonii anytime soon saturating the market from posting this information.:rolleyes:
Besides, I need more people producing offspring so I can add some diversity to my breeding projects! haha.

Back
Top Bottom