Sealant for cedar????

lisagr07

Avid Member
Without doing proper research I made an outdoor cage with cedar... :(

I've been told it will be ok to use as long as I seal it well. I've been told i could use polyethylene sealer, and read somewhere that a low VOC latex paint will work as well and require less drying/curing time...

What is the best/safest thing for me to do???? Short of starting all over.. :(

Thanks,, lisa

I would polyurethane it myself. Cedar looks really nice, so using a latex paint on it will take away from that.

Hey Rob,,, I got the MINWAX fast drying polyurethane spray to use on it... There also was a "marine" version of it the guy told me was for outdoor use but I was afraid to get it....
Did I get the right one?
Thanks,, lisa

Here's what I got..

a2enaje6.jpg

Here's the "marine/outdoor" type I was shown also...

8ypabuhy.jpg

I used spar urethane on my chameleon cabinet. I tried the polyurethane spray at first but the spray infuriated me. It wouldn't go on uniformly and I ended up returning it to get the one in the can that you paint on with a brush. Hopefully you have a better experience with the spray than I did.

I agree, the spray isn't that great. I use the cans and use a brush to put it on. It takes a little longer, but looks much nicer in the end.

Minwax is a fine brand, I would just get one of the cans you use a paint brush to put on. It may take a week or so to fully cure and dry, but worth it. I haven't had any of the polyurethane emit a smell after a week, although some say they have. But you are using it for outdoor as well, so not as big of a problem.

I used spar urethane on my chameleon cabinet. I tried the polyurethane spray at first but the spray infuriated me. It wouldn't go on uniformly and I ended up returning it to get the one in the can that you paint on with a brush. Hopefully you have a better experience with the spray than I did.

Thanks....
The issue is I already assembled and stapled on the fencing before I realized I should of sealed the wood... I figured spraying would get in areas and behind the fencing better than trying to brush it on...

I was just curious if I should of gotten the marine grade of spray?

I think either of the sprays will be fine. You'll want to do 2 coats, especially since you are outdoors. I've never used the sprays, so not entirely sure how well it sticks or runs. I imagine it might be fairly runny since you'll need to make sure you didn't miss any spots.

so far i've used 3 coats of spray on and 2 coats of brush on.... im letting it cure, one more week outside and i think it should be ready for them to try out. i'll be giving it the "sniff" test, just to make sure i dont detect any oder.
add vines and limbs and add one chameleon!!!!

Lol! Going the better safe than sorry route huh? Definitely make sure the smell is gone. The bonus is, it's outside and should go away much faster than if inside

Lol! Going the better safe than sorry route huh? Definitely make sure the smell is gone. The bonus is, it's outside and should go away much faster than if inside

Ha!! Yes Rob,,, that's what I do!!!!! I've been told I over do things I many occasions... It makes me sleep better at night!!!!! ;)
I agree, being outside the Oder should go quicker,,, I'll keep sniffing and give it another week!!!
Thanks for the help!!!!

No problem!

A good wood I have found that you don't have to worry about is Poplar. It's a hardwood and actually looks nice. But you don't have to seal it as it. It's also barely more expensive than pine!

No problem!

A good wood I have found that you don't have to worry about is Poplar. It's a hardwood and actually looks nice. But you don't have to seal it as it. It's also barely more expensive than pine!

;) ... When I build the second one... It won't be in cedar.... Poplar sounds like a much better option to me!!!!
Thanks again!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom