Screen viv vs. Glass viv!?

For example we keep our chams in the following cages
- pardalis male in a 40x24x55 (100x60x140cm)
- pardalis female in a 32x24x55 (80x60x140cm)
(don´t tell this sizes in Germany - you will hear "this is much to small....!!!!")

Das muss ich petzen ! ;)

@Chris: I don't have any doubts that they can live in such small enclosures or get their natural TL but in my opinion as hobbyists it's our duty to provide them with more than just the minimum to survive.

This is what I came up with last night based on what I see for a lot of the chameleon cages on here. seems people like taller over wider, I myself prefer wide cages but let me know what you think. Thoughts, opinions... feedback?

2" subdoor vent
Width x depth x height
16″ x 16″ x 24″
16″ x 16″ x 30″
18″ x 18″ x 24″
18″ x 18″ x 30″
18″ x 18″ x 36″

4" subdoor vent
24″ x 24″ x 36″
24″ x 24″ x 48″
30″ x 24″ x 48″
30″ x 24″ x 60″
36″ x 24″ x 48″
36″ x 24″ x 60″

-jason.p

petzen = sneak??

petzen = squeal/snitch/grass
http://www.dict.cc/?s=petzen
(he wanna tell our "to small" cage sizes in a german forum)

...enclosures "as small as 45.7 X 30.5 X 30.5 cm (18 X 12 X 12 in) for a single adult male or 28 X 18 X 18 cm (11 X 7.1 X 7.1 in) for a single adult female or juvenile have proven satisfactory."

Chris - this is not a Joke?????????? Really?
I won´t give any appreciation to this sizes. :mad:

Peter

This is what I came up with last night based on what I see for a lot of the chameleon cages on here. seems people like taller over wider, I myself prefer wide cages but let me know what you think. Thoughts, opinions... feedback?

I prefer wider cages as well. The more commonly sized 18"x18"x36" vertically oriented cage is not a size I would choose. Larger wider cages can accommodate fuller more robust potted trees like Ficus alli without pruning them to death and gives a bit more distance from the heat of basking lights. Easier on the upper leaves and twigs. There is more lighted area in the upper regions of the cage especially for chams who just don't venture down to more shaded areas. But, I am not trying to house more than a few animals at a time either.

16 x 16 x 30, 16 x 16 x 32, 18 x 18 x 36 all seem to be fairly common sizes people have ordered in the past. I thought it would just apply to modify the faces to fit the screen.

I prefer taller AND wider, but taller is more important because it allows for a more natural heat gradient from top to bottom. I house all my panther chameleons (male or female) in nothing smaller than 60cm wide, 60cm deep and 214cm height (2 foot by 2foot by 4 foot). Anything smaller being unsuitable, in my personal opinion.

screen or glass?

hi i live in south dakota of all places to be stuck at and i own a male veiled cham and was wondering because of the cold winters would a screen cage be a bad idea because of the trouble keeping heat and humidity in? or would a screen be just fine?

I use a couple glass terrariums with my chams and this has not been my experience at all. Have you actually tried it?

Glass%20Terrarium%20Setup.jpg

Chris

Chris, do you use the matching Exo-Terra compact tops on these? the UVB fixtures look like you have one for each individual cage. unless of course the zoo-med fixtures fit terra tanks.

Shipping is easy. We over pack for breakage. For individual terrariums, we plan on 4-6" of packing material between cardboard and cage. And we use Greyhound for shipping individual units, they do not ship a lot of packages and do not damage the terrariums. For larger orders that require a pallet, we pack with a styrofoam lined outside with a plywood skin. hardly any breakage that method.

We will experiment with taller terrariums and 4" -6" vents on the front. The 3/4 vent on top allows for 1/4 of the top for sliding doors to be positioned correctly and for rigidity as well the possibility of drill holes for misting systems if needed.

would you consider not only a screen vent but an outer glass or wooden door which can be opened during warmer times to increase air circulation and closed during colder times to increase heat and humidity?

I read the link I think its right on im using a glass terrarium I think its great for viewing and maintaining the preferred environment for my veiled boy but not 20 minutes ago I just bought a vented mesh cage from FL chams only because he is getting bigger and don't want him feeling crowded or restricted where do they make larger terrariums and are they affordable?

Back
Top Bottom