Screen cat enclosure; would it work with a chameleon?

Smiley

So I was just on amazon looking for an item to attach to the dremel I'm buying for my dog's nails, and stumbled onto a screen enclosure that let's cats "safely be outdoors". I don't know how well this will work for kitties, but I thought it might be a cool way to let a chameleon experience a huge space to explore outside.

It can be viewed here http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KWHE1E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405849243&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Nigel, my adult Jackson's, already spends most of his time outside (here in so cal it's been about 75-83 degrees pretty consistently for the summer). The enclosure is only about 18x18x50", so I think he could use the extra room. He absolutely loves the sun, and gets fresh water via a shower head that's turned on just enough to let off one drop every 3-5 seconds (I got worried that he'd get hot and dehydrated). This is turned off at night. The cat enclosure says to have 30 sq. ft of space inside, and I think Nigel would just about die from happiness with all that room to explore; he absolutely hates me, so he's gotta curb his boredom some way.

Is this a good or bad idea? And also, what are the downfalls to keeping a chameleon outside full-time? So far, I'm still struggling with humidity (the cage was too tall and the live plant wasn't getting enough UV inside and died. It's being regrown outside as well, tiny tiny leaves) so that was a blow. I have enough lights for 3 enclosures (UV and heat), but I do not have any set up atm due to the temps and the natural sunlight. He still gets fed every day- every other day, plenty of fresh, moving water, and his supplements. And since he hates me and despises being touched, I pretty much let him be aside from the mistings and feedings.

Opinions and corrections appreciated.

I have one of those, only used it once to put chams in.
Yes, it works great, but you need a way to get your cham to it and put him inside after setting it up in your yard.
I put a fake tree inside it with branches to climb on, otherwise some of my chams will just talk into a corner of it and stay there, totally confused!!

I found it to be to much of a pain to take it down, then set it back up again.

You cant set it up on grass and just leave it, because the grass will grow between the mesh floor. You would need to put down some tarp, or set it up on a non-grassy surface if you want to keep it set up all the time.

But yes, it works fine for chams :)

P.S. if you do get one, be sure to get the one that has the full front zipper door (like a tent) so you can climb inside to get your cham out.

Last edited:
stakes

I think it would be necessary to stake it down. If a breeze or wind comes, there may your chameleons go.

Back
Top Bottom