scratching at top of cage

Jewel

A few weeks ago we bought a new light for the top of the veiled cage and it has a UV bulb in one side and a plant light in the other. The light holder itself is chrome. Ever since we put it in he constantly scratches at the screen under it. I thought at first it was because it was new but he is still doing it. I am scared he will pull his nails out. Do you have any idea what is going on?

Jewel,

What is the top screen?
Kitty does this under his UVB light sometimes and then will climb onto the top screen and move across and down again.
It usually happens in the morning when he does his daily "patrol of his territory".
I'm not sure it's anything to worry about, but there are types of screen that are more dangerous to toenails than others.

-Brad

The sides are pet screen but the top is aluminium because the heat light sits on it. He doesn't climb on the top he just sits on the top branch and uses his two front legs and just scratches at it for about 10 minutes at a time.

I don't know how to modify it and I have a white one in my laundry room so I will just switch them up. Thank you Brad and Will.

My Cham has been doing this as well for the last week or so and couldn't figure out why. I thought it was because he isn't in a correct size enclosure because I have him in a 36 inch and not a 48. I never thought it could be him seeing a reflection of himself in the UVB housing, but it does make sense now because he only picks at the top screen directly under the UVB light and when I looked under there it is reflective.

My Cham has been doing this as well for the last week or so and couldn't figure out why. I thought it was because he isn't in a correct size enclosure because I have him in a 36 inch and not a 48. I never thought it could be him seeing a reflection of himself in the UVB housing, but it does make sense now because he only picks at the top screen directly under the UVB light and when I looked under there it is reflective.
Hi. This thread is pretty old. :) What type of uvb are you using? Can you post a pic?

Back
Top Bottom