scared about coloring

Hi, my veiled cham is only that really lime green when i hold him and is dark green or partly tan when in his cage. more information and pictures below

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, 4-5 months, in my care for about 3 weeks
Handling - I try not to unless necessary, at most one-two times a week
Feeding - 10-15 small crickets, daily, gut loading with fruit
Supplements - usually dust a few times a week (i get them once a week) and use zoomed reptivite with d3 and zoomed repti calcium
Watering - i have the little dripper, i mist heavily in the morning and slightly in the night. yes, i see him drinking.
Fecal Description - never been tested for parasites, has white and black poop usually a pretty normal texture and eventually hardens
History - nothing concerning based on how long i’ve had him

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage, don’t know exact dimensions but i believe it’s 18x18x30 or 36 and i’ll update when he grows
Lighting - i have a zoomed heat lamp and a strip uvb that i turn on when i wake up and turn off about 12 hours later
Temperature - thermometer to measure temps, usually about 75-78° normal temp, waiting to get a basking area lamp. usually about 65 at night.
Humidity - i use a hygrometer, i need a new one because it’s not that good so i’m not 100% sure but it’s in a good range from what i’ve seen
Plants - yes, i have various that don’t have tags at the moment but i researched here before getting them
Placement - on my floor, window is almost right above it but stays closed. i have a ceiling fan that’s on at night and doesn’t affect temp.
Location - boston, massachusetts

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: coloring. always darker green or with tan on part of patterning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 70
  • A3A1EC69-2913-4488-8F5D-C02F819F88B3.jpeg
    A3A1EC69-2913-4488-8F5D-C02F819F88B3.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 74
  • ECF99C78-7346-4DE1-A4FA-CE39C0D4572C.jpeg
    ECF99C78-7346-4DE1-A4FA-CE39C0D4572C.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi. So your chameleon’s colors look just fine and normal. They do look a bit greyer when relaxed and will darken when trying to absorb heat or uvb, and also when a bit angry or stressed. For your husbandry, give me a few minutes and I’ll make some suggestions for you. :)

Hi. So your chameleon’s colors look just fine and normal. They do look a bit greyer when relaxed and will darken when trying to absorb heat or uvb, and also when a bit angry or stressed. For your husbandry, give me a few minutes and I’ll make some suggestions for you. :)

thank you :)

Putting my feedback in red.
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, 4-5 months, in my care for about 3 weeks
Feeding - 10-15 small crickets, daily, gut loading with fruit You will want to start reducing the feeders. Go to about 8 per day for a few weeks, then 5-6 daily and at about 7-8 months old or so go to 4-5 every other day. At around 9-10 months he should be getting 3 feeders every other day. Variety is appreciated by our chams, so attaching the feeder graphic. Also the ‘gutloading’ graphic...it’s really to feed our feeders to make them healthy and therefore more nutritious.
Supplements - usually dust a few times a week (i get them once a week) and use zoomed reptivite with d3 and zoomed repti calcium Not sure what you mean about getting them once a week. You should be dusting with phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding. Once every 2 weeks use the Reptivite with D3.
Watering - i have the little dripper, i mist heavily in the morning and slightly in the night. yes, i see him drinking. Good.
Fecal Description - never been tested for parasites, has white and black poop usually a pretty normal texture and eventually hardens

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage, don’t know exact dimensions but i believe it’s 18x18x30 or 36 and i’ll update when he grows There’s no time like the present. :) Start getting ready a 2x2x4’ or equivalent enclosure as they grow super fast.
Lighting - i have a zoomed heat lamp and a strip uvb that i turn on when i wake up and turn off about 12 hours later It’s really important to know what type of uvb you have. There are 2 types of fixtures - T8 and T5. Also need to know the strength of the uvb bulb. These values together will help to determine the distance that your uvb should be from basking area.
Temperature - thermometer to measure temps, usually about 75-78° normal temp, waiting to get a basking area lamp. usually about 65 at night. These temps aren’t that bad. Just need a tad warmer at basking to about 80. Night time temp drop is perfect.
Humidity - i use a hygrometer, i need a new one because it’s not that good so i’m not 100% sure but it’s in a good range from what i’ve seen What type of hygrometer are you using? Is it the analog dial type? The best is one with a probe. Ideal humidity for a veiled is between 30-50% during the day. At night it can get much higher.
Plants - yes, i have various that don’t have tags at the moment but i researched here before getting them If you’d like to post a pic, we can help identify them and make sure they are safe. Your cham will nibble on them. If you haven’t already, you’ll want to use your plants to create a shaded or hidden area.
Placement - on my floor, window is almost right above it but stays closed. i have a ceiling fan that’s on at night and doesn’t affect temp. So, if the window is above, is your enclosure lower to or sitting on the floor? If so, you’ll need to raise it up. Chams feel safest when they are up high and looking down at us.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: coloring. always darker green or with tan on part of patterning. Since your basking temps are a bit low, he’s probably darkening to try to absorb more heat. If his enclosure is on the floor or down low, he is also probably stressed from that.
Some great resources for learning: Neptune the chameleon on YouTube and https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

EE36E6ED-3789-4B36-8FE4-9A11513891A1.jpeg
F8780047-814D-49DF-8839-BE196662A7E3.jpeg

I’ll be offline shortly, but if you have any questions or provide more info about your uvb I’m sure another member would be more than happy to help. :)

Putting my feedback in red.
Feeding - 10-15 small crickets, daily, gut loading with fruit You will want to start reducing the feeders. Go to about 8 per day for a few weeks, then 5-6 daily and at about 7-8 months old or so go to 4-5 every other day. At around 9-10 months he should be getting 3 feeders every other day. Variety is appreciated by our chams, so attaching the feeder graphic. Also the ‘gutloading’ graphic...it’s really to feed our feeders to make them healthy and therefore more nutritious.
Supplements - usually dust a few times a week (i get them once a week) and use zoomed reptivite with d3 and zoomed repti calcium Not sure what you mean about getting them once a week. You should be dusting with phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding. Once every 2 weeks use the Reptivite with D3.
Watering - i have the little dripper, i mist heavily in the morning and slightly in the night. yes, i see him drinking. Good.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage, don’t know exact dimensions but i believe it’s 18x18x30 or 36 and i’ll update when he grows There’s no time like the present. :) Start getting ready a 2x2x4’ or equivalent enclosure as they grow super fast.
Lighting - i have a zoomed heat lamp and a strip uvb that i turn on when i wake up and turn off about 12 hours later It’s really important to know what type of uvb you have. There are 2 types of fixtures - T8 and T5. Also need to know the strength of the uvb bulb. These values together will help to determine the distance that your uvb should be from basking area.
Temperature - thermometer to measure temps, usually about 75-78° normal temp, waiting to get a basking area lamp. usually about 65 at night. These temps aren’t that bad. Just need a tad warmer at basking to about 80. Night time temp drop is perfect.
Humidity - i use a hygrometer, i need a new one because it’s not that good so i’m not 100% sure but it’s in a good range from what i’ve seen What type of hygrometer are you using? Is it the analog dial type? The best is one with a probe. Ideal humidity for a veiled is between 30-50% during the day. At night it can get much higher.
Plants - yes, i have various that don’t have tags at the moment but i researched here before getting them If you’d like to post a pic, we can help identify them and make sure they are safe. Your cham will nibble on them. If you haven’t already, you’ll want to use your plants to create a shaded or hidden area.
Placement - on my floor, window is almost right above it but stays closed. i have a ceiling fan that’s on at night and doesn’t affect temp. So, if the window is above, is your enclosure lower to or sitting on the floor? If so, you’ll need to raise it up. Chams feel safest when they are up high and looking down at us.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: coloring. always darker green or with tan on part of patterning. Since your basking temps are a bit low, he’s probably darkening to try to absorb more heat. If his enclosure is on the floor or down low, he is also probably stressed from that.
Some great resources for learning: Neptune the chameleon on YouTube and https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

View attachment 281912View attachment 281913

thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom