Sambava?

nasi8one

I have the chance to pick this little guy up ( he claims its a male). Just want to be sure he is a Sambava panther. Thank you!

Hi from the pics it is hard to say. That chameleon looks extremely malnourished.

1. Give the kid water asap. Its best to do it in semi long (10-15 min) sessions three or four times a day.
2. Food. If the guy has a appetite i would take it easy with the food for the first week or so. Dont let him pig out but be more cautious with the amount. Not know the chameleon size in person and gauging off of pictures. I would personally not feed more than 6-8 appropriate sized crickets at a feeding.
3. I would also be weary of illness. Definitely get a fecal done on the next feces you see from him/.

That is so sad. That chameleon is very thin and dehydrated. I would not pay a single penny for that chameleon. See if you can reason with the owner to just give it to you since he will most likely require a lot of care, money, and time to get him back to health. In my experience, many panthers will turn a very vibrant color like that when they are close to death or extremely ill. If you do end up getting him, I would do what ataraxia suggested.

As for the locality, we wouldn't be able to tell without pictures that show the bars and colors better. Even with better pictures, we can't really be sure of the locale until it is an adult and has it's adult colors (around 18-24 months old.)

I have seen babies as young as 5 monthes showing amazing colorations. I found it weird to see that the owner has had him for 9 months and that is the color he is showing. The owner did state that he had no time to feed him and due to his scheduale has even forgotten to feed him. I am just trying to save the little fella but the owner is firm on his price and is not willing to negotiate. Makes me sad to see the chameleon in such horrible shape with ribs showing

Does the owner understand that the animal is very underweight and dehydrated? If the owner keeps treating the animal like that it will likely die very soon.

That is so sad. That chameleon is very thin and dehydrated. I would not pay a single penny for that chameleon. See if you can reason with the owner to just give it to you since he will most likely require a lot of care, money, and time to get him back to health. In my experience, many panthers will turn a very vibrant color like that when they are close to death or extremely ill. If you do end up getting him, I would do what ataraxia suggested.

As for the locality, we wouldn't be able to tell without pictures that show the bars and colors better. Even with better pictures, we can't really be sure of the locale until it is an adult and has it's adult colors (around 18-24 months old.)

I finally got more pictures from the owner. some of the saddest pictures ive seen of what could be a beautiful chameleon if taken care of properly. He/she was showing awesome colors when taken care of properly ( first picture). The owner says he has no time and feeds once a week. Looks super skinny and dehydrated. What sucks is he is still firm on his price and would rather see the creature pass away instead of losing money and keeping it alive.

It's sad when an owner cares more about money than the animal. That poor guy can still be saved if the owner just starts taking care of it now. Unless the owner only returns home once a week, I just dont understand how he cannot feed it more often.

It does appear to be a sambava though.

It's sad when an owner cares more about money than the animal. That poor guy can still be saved if the owner just starts taking care of it now. Unless the owner only returns home once a week, I just dont understand how he cannot feed it more often.

It does appear to be a sambava though.

I told him I will care for the chameleon properly if he is willing to take a loss on it. I just think he thought they were simple to care for, and less time consuming. If he only feeds it once a week, i cant imagine how many mistings the poor cham gets. I know someone stated they wouldnt spend a penny on the chameleon, but how much would someone like yourself offer for a chameleon in that condition? ( calculating risks, feeders, and time needed to get back to 100%). Im personally willing to offer 75-100 just to try to save the little dude. it saddened me to see a helpless critter struggling to survive. From those pictures, are you able to determine sex?

I was the one who said I would not spend a penny on a chameleon in that condition, and I stand by that. While I will gladly take in an animal in such condition (assuming I have the finances to do so at the time,) I will not spend extra money to buy an animal that I will likely have to take to the vet and spend even more money on to bring it back to health. I wont give the seller/owner the satisfaction of knowing that they can sell a sick, mistreated animal. Anyone who truly cares for the animal wouldn't ask for money and would simply re-home it to a capable person.

I generally recommend to others not to buy animals like that as well.

Edit: Females don't show that kind of color. It is a male.

I was the one who said I would not spend a penny on a chameleon in that condition, and I stand by that. While I will gladly take in an animal in such condition (assuming I have the finances to do so at the time,) I will not spend extra money to buy an animal that I will likely have to take to the vet and spend even more money on to bring it back to health. I wont give the seller/owner the satisfaction of knowing that they can sell a sick, mistreated animal. Anyone who truly cares for the animal wouldn't ask for money and would simply re-home it to a capable person.

I generally recommend to others not to buy animals like that as well.

Edit: Females don't show that kind of color. It is a male.

So true. It just bothers me knowing that chameleon is suffering from improper care. Your ideology on not giving the owner satisfaction makes complete sense. Thank you so much for your valuable input. Im just hoping the owner comes to his senses and offers to rehome instead.

This makes me so sad and even more mad. Do you have the guys email or someway to contact him?. I have no problem talking to him. Maybe I can get him to come to his senses. That is so cruel. He is starving him.

So true. It just bothers me knowing that chameleon is suffering from improper care. Your ideology on not giving the owner satisfaction makes complete sense. Thank you so much for your valuable input. Im just hoping the owner comes to his senses and offers to rehome instead.

I know what you mean. It is terrible when you come across these situations, and you just want to do everything you can for the animal. I just can't bring myself to pay money for an animal like that when I know I will need the money for more useful things like supplies and vet care. And it's not like it's a wild caught animal that came into the country that way, this is a pet that was healthy at one point! If anything, the owner should be paying the new owner to help get it back to health since they obviously can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom