New keeper here!

Hi everyone! I brought this cham home a week ago from petco (I know, I know). I've always wanted one and had planned on going to a breeder but this one was not shy around people and didn't mind being handled so I bought it. I was told it's a female but I'm really really hoping they were wrong. Is there any chance this little cutie is a male? Pronounced crest and developing some green on its face. Also, any insight to age? The employee had no idea.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20240221_152444.jpg
    20240221_152444.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240220_100925.jpg
    20240220_100925.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240220_083804.jpg
    20240220_083804.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240220_083125.jpg
    20240220_083125.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240220_083137.jpg
    20240220_083137.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 14
I believe you have a beautiful girl. Do you have a lay bin for her?
Thank you! Her personality was why I got her, was still hoping for some books colors. Not yet - the store who is likely clueless- said I had a solid 8 months until I needed to worry about that. What's the best/easiest set up for that? Should I set it up now? Any guess as to how old she may be?

Hi and welcome. :) You have a beautiful little girl. No idea on her age other than she’s not a baby. She may be a juvenile. I just adore female panthers and although they aren’t as showy as the males, they have their own special beauty. Most will show lovely pinks, corals, peaches or lavenders, depending on locale (which is next to impossible to determine in girls). My nosy be girl is my petite purple princess, but has also gone thru being peachy, dusky rose, tan, brown, grey, etc. Even though my girl will be 3 years old in June, she’s never laid eggs. I’ve been careful to keep her basking temp no higher than 80F and to not overfeed her…same as I do with my veiled girl. Because panthers grow so much slower than veileds though, I didn’t start to limit her feeding until she was close to about 10 months old and she was fully on ‘the regimen’ by the time she was a year old. Although I wrote this for Veileds, much of it applies to panthers too. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ Even though with her age being unknown, it never hurts to be prepared and provide a lay bin.

Hi and welcome. :) You have a beautiful little girl. No idea on her age other than she’s not a baby. She may be a juvenile. I just adore female panthers and although they aren’t as showy as the males, they have their own special beauty. Most will show lovely pinks, corals, peaches or lavenders, depending on locale (which is next to impossible to determine in girls). My nosy be girl is my petite purple princess, but has also gone thru being peachy, dusky rose, tan, brown, grey, etc. Even though my girl will be 3 years old in June, she’s never laid eggs. I’ve been careful to keep her basking temp no higher than 80F and to not overfeed her…same as I do with my veiled girl. Because panthers grow so much slower than veileds though, I didn’t start to limit her feeding until she was close to about 10 months old and she was fully on ‘the regimen’ by the time she was a year old. Although I wrote this for Veileds, much of it applies to panthers too. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ Even though with her age being unknown, it never hurts to be prepared and provide a lay bin.
Agreed!!

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others above that you have a girl. Females are just as great as males 😉. It is rare that petco sold you a panther. Normally they only have veileds. Lucky! She is beautiful. Does your little cutie have a name? Good luck with your cham and hope to see posts about here later! 💗

I think you may have a problem my friend....just like all of us on here.
I actually considered buying an enclosure with all the right stuff, building it out with branches and pothos and raising chams until their big and established and then selling them locally at cost so (vetted) newbies could have a chameleon without being scared of killing their first one. They could see how it’s done right without all the pitfalls and if they get another cham, just replicate what the first one has. Way easier. ANNNDDD I would get to raise sweet little babies!

Welcome to the forum!!! Very much a female and I hate to tell you but she is old enough to be developing eggs. Honestly looks like she may be… looking at the pics I am seeing lumps in the abdomen towards her back legs…

Gonna need that lay bin, proper supplements and correct uvb if you didn’t get it at the store… kinda looks like they sold you the Cham kit and it does not come with it only the double dome. 😢

Welcome to the forum!!! Very much a female and I hate to tell you but she is old enough to be developing eggs. Honestly looks like she may be… looking at the pics I am seeing lumps in the abdomen towards her back legs…

Gonna need that lay bin, proper supplements and correct uvb if you didn’t get it at the store… kinda looks like they sold you the Cham kit and it does not come with it only the double dome. 😢
Good eye Beman!

Welcome to the forum!! And congrats on your beautiful new girl!! What's her name?? It can be very overwhelming being a new Cham keeper, especially with females and egg laying but do not worry, we are all here to help. All the people who replied above are super knowledgable and will help make sure you and your new baby are all set for success! With that being said, you'll definitely want to get the right supplements and UVB for her asap, especially since it looks like she could be developing eggs (the last thing you want is her to become egg bound). I strongly recommend the Chameleon Academy website for a great overview of panther chameleon husbandry. Here is the link https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/ The podcast is great too if you have time to listen. There is an episode on how to setup lay bins (link: https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-205-creating-a-chameleon-egg-laying-bin/) . These are just a few sources for good info but im sure others have great recommendations as well! It's hard to tell how old female panthers are since they can vary in size quite a bit. I agree with @MissSkittles estimate of age. Based on the pics and from personal experience I'd guess she's somewhere around 9 or 10 months, maybe closer to a year. Once again congrats and welcome to the forum!! 😁

Yeah, I realized that about the kit after I bought it, luckily I only paid half price for it! What light do you recommend? I was wondering that too because she seems plumper than most I've seen. I'll get the bin together ASAP! Also, what supplements? I do calcium without D3 at almost every feeding for about half the crickets and was going to do calcium with d3 twice a month. She needs something additional when gravid? Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum!! And congrats on your beautiful new girl!! What's her name?? It can be very overwhelming being a new Cham keeper, especially with females and egg laying but do not worry, we are all here to help. All the people who replied above are super knowledgable and will help make sure you and your new baby are all set for success! With that being said, you'll definitely want to get the right supplements and UVB for her asap, especially since it looks like she could be developing eggs (the last thing you want is her to become egg bound). I strongly recommend the Chameleon Academy website for a great overview of panther chameleon husbandry. Here is the link https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/ The podcast is great too if you have time to listen. There is an episode on how to setup lay bins (link: https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-205-creating-a-chameleon-egg-laying-bin/) . These are just a few sources for good info but im sure others have great recommendations as well! It's hard to tell how old female panthers are since they can vary in size quite a bit. I agree with @MissSkittles estimate of age. Based on the pics and from personal experience I'd guess she's somewhere around 9 or 10 months, maybe closer to a year. Once again congrats and welcome to the forum!! 😁
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom